Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,528 Posts
Does anyone have the stats on how many doctors have "accidentally" killed patients in the last few years?

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,528 Posts
This is interesting....

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2288150

Michigan doctor gets 45 years in prison for poisoning 500 cancer patients in fraud

DETROIT - Calling the scheme "horrific," a judge sentenced a Detroit-area cancer doctor to 45 years in prison Friday for collecting millions from insurance companies while poisoning more than 500 patients through needless treatments that wrecked their health.

U.S. District Judge Paul Borman this week heard stories of brittle bones and fried organs as patients chillingly described the effects of excessive chemotherapy at the hands of Dr. Farid Fata.

Fata "shut down whatever compassion he had as a doctor and switched it to making money," Borman said.
Moments earlier, the judge called it a "huge, horrific series of criminal acts."

Fata, 50, offered no excuses before getting his punishment. Stone-faced all week in court, he repeatedly broke down in loud sobs as he begged for mercy Friday.

"I misused my talents, yes, and permitted this sin to enter me because of power and greed," Fata said. "My quest for power is self-destructive."
He said his patients knocked on his door for "compassionate care" but "I failed, yes, I failed."

Fata pleaded guilty last year to fraud, money laundering and conspiracy. He didn't strike a deal with prosecutors, so Borman needed much of the week to hear details about treatments. Patients and relatives hired a bus to get to court to watch.

"He preyed on our trust, our exhaustion, our fears," said Ellen Piligiam, whose late father, a doctor, was administered powerful drugs he didn't need for a tumor in his shoulder.

Federal prosecutor Catherine Dick had asked for a 175-year prison sentence, while Fata sought 25 years.

"It is not mob justice. It is appropriate for this crime," Dick told the judge, referring to the extraordinary request.

Outside court, many former patients, dressed in yellow in solidarity, were disappointed with the punishment.

"Prosecutors did a fantastic job - and he got 45 years. It's a lifetime sentence for the rest of us," said Monica Flagg, 53, who was treated for cancer before doctors examining a broken leg found she had no cancer. "What about all the grave markers out there that all the victims' families have to look at?"

Liz Lupo held a picture of her mother, Marianne Lupo, who died in 2007 at age 62. She believes Fata's treatments hastened her death.
"It's not justice at all," Lupo said.

The government identified 553 victims, along with insurance companies. Medicare and insurers paid at least $17 million.

Fata will get credit for about two years served in custody since his arrest in 2013. His stay in the federal prison system also could be shortened with good behavior.

His clinic, Michigan Hematology Oncology, had seven offices in the Detroit area and a related business that performed tests to look for cancer. Testifying for the government, two experts from Harvard medical school said they were troubled after looking at a small portion of patient files.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Reactions: gettingfedup

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Revisiting this to let everyone know i will be taking the lad to freeport later, if anyone else wants to bring their junior patriots. Look for a deeply bitter man wearing ak shirt and mustache and my conservative extremist heir pictured above. If anyone wants to sit at the picnic table and have a conspiratorially quiet conversation in a huddle we are game for that too.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Medical errors, ie accidents kill several hundred thousand people a year. Your kid is more likely to be killed by a pediatrician than a gun in the home. http://www.fiercehealthcare.com/story/hospital-medical-errors-third-leading-cause-death-dispute-to-err-is-human-report/2013-09-20
I don't disagree that physicians/medication errors/hospitals/pharmacies kill a lot of people. But it ain't 400,000 a year in hospitals alone. Whenever a study leader say essentially "the numbers don't matter..." the research, the methodology and the presented numbers are suspect. For research to come up with a potential error margin between 210,000 to 400,000 is just silly. Imagine if a CNN or Fox News Presidentisl ratings poll's +/- was nearly 100%.

·
8,061 Posts
I don't disagree that physicians/medication errors/hospitals/pharmacies kill a lot of people. But it ain't 400,000 a year in hospitals alone. Whenever a study leader say essentially "the numbers don't matter..." the research, the methodology and the presented numbers are suspect. For research to come up with a potential error margin between 210,000 to 400,000 is just silly. Imagine if a CNN or Fox News Presidentisl ratings poll's +/- was nearly 100%.
I work in that specific field - medical errors and the consequences. I think those numbers are low, and I can find studies that suggest nearly a million annual deaths. The problem is that the errors mostly go unreported. When granny is given the wrong medication in the ER and crashes, no autopsy or criminal investigation occurs in most instances, as the death is assumed to be from the underlying illness that brought the person to the ER in the first place. There are systems to review self reported medical errors, but typically, unless the families' trial lawyer gets involved, nobody ever finds out.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Let's through into the mix the thousands of Drs who prescribe opiates like tic tacs turning young and old alike into junkies and killing many in the long run.
Many doctors are too free with the Rxs. But what you knowingly put into your body is ultimately your own responsibility. It's no different than agreeing to a surgery you really didn't need because you didn't bother exploring your options.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Many doctors are too free with the Rxs. But what you knowingly put into your body is ultimately your own responsibility. It's no different than agreeing to a surgery you really didn't need because you didn't bother exploring your options.
Difference is, citizens are quick to follow Drs orders and all too many cases the dr in charge is prescribing opioid pain meds for too long a time and most know of them know full well what addictive qualities the meds have, the patients don't. Also many patients wake up in a hospital room after a bad accident for example and are pumped full of morphine for days, without the opportunity to get a second opinion. Before too long at all young adults who have no exp with drugs find themselves with a monkey on the back. It's too easy to say what you put in your own body is your own responsibility, which may be true if someone starts taking illicit drugs but when a dr is the 'Pusher man' it's a different thing indeed. An opioid addiction is a mo-fo thing to kick.
It's come to light now bout the dangers and people are wiser about what some Drs doll out by the hundreds but for many decades that wasn't the case and patients blindly followed Drs orders and were drug addicts through no fault of their own. Hard to fault patients for trusting their doctors and I'm not prepared to throw patients under the bus in many cases, the doctors are the experts and many made horrific medicating mistakes. Getting kickbacks from pharmaceutical companys has paid for many a Drs vacations and their arm candy wives rocks.

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
Does anyone have the stats on how many doctors have "accidentally" killed patients in the last few years?
Simple mathematical equation.... Take the number of firearms deaths, DOUBLE them, then ADD a Zero... That should put you close.

Reactions: grifhunter

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Difference is, citizens are quick to follow Drs orders and all too many cases the dr in charge is prescribing opioid pain meds for too long a time and most know of them know full well what addictive qualities the meds have, the patients don't. Also many patients wake up in a hospital room after a bad accident for example and are pumped full of morphine for days, without the opportunity to get a second opinion. Before too long at all young adults who have no exp with drugs find themselves with a monkey on the back. It's too easy to say what you put in your own body is your own responsibility, which may be true if someone starts taking illicit drugs but when a dr is the 'Pusher man' it's a different thing indeed. An opioid addiction is a mo-fo thing to kick.
It's come to light now bout the dangers and people are wiser about what some Drs doll out by the hundreds but for many decades that wasn't the case and patients blindly followed Drs orders and were drug addicts through no fault of their own. Hard to fault patients for trusting their doctors and I'm not prepared to throw patients under the bus in many cases, the doctors are the experts and many made horrific medicating mistakes. Getting kickbacks from pharmaceutical companys has paid for many a Drs vacations and their arm candy wives rocks.
Getting hooked on painkillers is not new or a mystery. Heroin, opium, go way back. Centuries. It was a known evil and risk when taking these even on doctors recommendation.
I don't see this as anything a person nowadays has the right to be surprised about, especially with sites like Wed.MD or Rxlist available for free.
We've got people surprised that cigarettes are bad for you. Really? When I was a kid half a century ago, they were called "cancer sticks" and "coffin nails".
Medicine is a crapshoot. Not everyone fits into a neat diagnosis. Many do not respond the same to pharmaceuticals. Not every doctor sees the same solution to your problem. And as it is with diets it is with taking medicine…… people lie. They lie about what they took, about what else they're taking, how they felt from taking it and how much they took. I don't mean everyone is out to kill themselves or file false legal action. They just don't remember, or they're reluctant to reveal some other behavior which might get them scolded by their doctor. I see it all the time. "Yes! I floss every day!" BS!!! "I took my antibiotics. I don't remember how many and I was out drinking".
Yes doctors and everyone else make mistakes. Thankfully we can still go for second opinions and check for a consensus on the internet.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Update. Took lad to freeport. He murdered a bunch of shoot n see targets with his 410 mossy outside, the proceeded to storm the indoor range, where he callously laid waste to target after target with his 22 ak. We then ravenously feasted on chili specials at Texas Ranger. We had a ton of fun.

Now, what's the next step, do i turn myself in to pd, do i turn him in to pd, do i put him in a cab to child protective services, do i take him to pm pediatrics? Does Texas Ranger deliver to Floral Park?

·
8,061 Posts
Update. Took lad to freeport. He murdered a bunch of shoot n see targets with his 410 mossy outside, the proceeded to storm the indoor range, where he callously laid waste to target after target with his 22 ak. We then ravenously feasted on chili specials at Texas Ranger. We had a ton of fun.

Now, what's the next step, do i turn myself in to pd, do i turn him in to pd, do i put him in a cab to child protective services, do i take him to pm pediatrics? Does Texas Ranger deliver to Floral Park?
None of the above. That youngster should be taken for inpatient psychological treatment for all the trauma you heaped upon his innocent self. Then, hand the boy over to the Democrat committee for the Town you live in to raise him properly. It takes a village, not a gun nut dad to raise a child.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.