Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard, don't know if it's true...: You can walk into a Walmart or BestBuy, and ask for Amazon pricing. And they will match it. You need managers approval, but they will do it.

We should all try it, and report back.

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,528 Posts
I heard, don't know if it's true...: You can walk into a Walmart or BestBuy, and ask for Amazon pricing. And they will match it. You need managers approval, but they will do it.

We should all try it, and report back.
I do know Microcenter will match Newegg pricing. I've done it several times now.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
It's called price matching. Some stores will do it for similar retailers. Staples will do it for Best Buy and vice versa. Microcenter will do it for Newegg, Best Buy, Staples or any big chain that sells computer parts. Walmart used to do it for Amazon, but I know their standards tightened up after people were scamming them for $99 PS4s.

ETA: Best Buy WILL NOT price match Amazon, nor will Staples or Microcenter. Staples and Best Buy also WILL NOT price match Newegg, but I've never tried to get them to match Microcenter (they'll only price match other physical chains in the area). Dick's and Sports Authority used to match each other on certain items like clothing or sporting equipment.

ETA2: There's a trick on most big ticket items that stores use to get around this. Check the UPC on a specific model TV in Best Buy. Then check that same TV in Walmart or PC Richards. The UPCs will usually be different. Electronics manufacturers have been using custom UPCs for large chains for years now. Prevents returns from 1 store to another. It also prevents price matching since TECHNICALLY it's a different item and they don't have to honor the price.

Reactions: TTSkipper

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
i have had best buy match amazon pricing on 3 tv in the last year

24 lg

42 lg

50 sony
Interesting, I've always had trouble getting BB to match Amazon. Amazon will gladly match BB and others though.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
we have had staples price match amazon, but only if amazon is the seller.

IE if some toner store someplace is going out of business and selling deeply discounted items on amazon.....then staples won't match.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Try these guys. http://www.eastcoasttvs.com

Don't fall for the inside delivery scam.
I used these guys about 4 or 5 years ago. Was the best price I could find. I wanted to shop locally, but I don't consider Best buy, Costco or BJ's shopping locally. I don't remember the inside delivery scam. I do remember I wasn't home and they brought the TV in for my wife, and then swiped a credit card. Besbuy plays games with their item numbers. Some add a "B" to note that its a BestBuy TV. Some would argue that they use lower quality guts to keep the costs down for big box stores.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Amazon does--or in the last few years--used to have the best prices on certain items (along with free prime delivery). I've noticed as they became more popular in the last few years, this has diminished (and some price gouging with prime shipping is more common now, it used to be such a great deal).

They still have the best prices for certain specific items such as Nikon rifle scopes, and I bought my 73" HD 3D TV (the one in the home theater thread) through Amazon.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I buy everything I can online and I don't care if it's cheaper or not. I just hate having to go out and go to the store and deal with everything evolved with shopping. Besides, hunting for something online at a cheap price is part of the fun for me.

Reactions: safety42

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
It's called price matching. Some stores will do it for similar retailers. Staples will do it for Best Buy and vice versa. Microcenter will do it for Newegg, Best Buy, Staples or any big chain that sells computer parts. Walmart used to do it for Amazon, but I know their standards tightened up after people were scamming them for $99 PS4s.

ETA: Best Buy WILL NOT price match Amazon, nor will Staples or Microcenter. Staples and Best Buy also WILL NOT price match Newegg, but I've never tried to get them to match Microcenter (they'll only price match other physical chains in the area). Dick's and Sports Authority used to match each other on certain items like clothing or sporting equipment.

ETA2: There's a trick on most big ticket items that stores use to get around this. Check the UPC on a specific model TV in Best Buy. Then check that same TV in Walmart or PC Richards. The UPCs will usually be different. Electronics manufacturers have been using custom UPCs for large chains for years now. Prevents returns from 1 store to another. It also prevents price matching since TECHNICALLY it's a different item and they don't have to honor the price.
It's not just for pricing and returns. The specs on retailer specific models are often different such as lower resolution, color ratios and less inputs. Helps them keep the costs lower as well.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I love Amazon and will never shop in Wallmart. Amazon is so great because you do not have to go to the stores and deal with the crowds and the moron employees. If I see an advertised price for something that is less then Amazon I contact them and they match or beat the price and al it takes is an email.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

Not accurate:

Best Buy Price Match Guarantee

We won't be beat on price.

We'll match the product prices of key online and local competitors.

The Details:
  • At the time of sale, we price match all local retail competitors (including their online prices) and we price match products shipped from and sold by these major online retailers: Amazon.com, Bhphotovideo.com, Crutchfield.com, Dell.com, HP.com, Newegg.com, and TigerDirect.com.
  • We match BestBuy.com prices on in-store purchases and in-store prices on BestBuy.com purchases.
  • If we lower our price during the return and exchange period, we will match our lower price, upon request.
  • Our Price Match Guarantee covers one price match per identical item, per customer, at the current pre-tax price available to all customers.

Our Price Match Guarantee does not cover:
  • The online prices of retailers not listed.
  • Contract mobile phones sold by any online retailer.
  • Products shipped from or sold by third-party sellers (Marketplace sellers) on websites.
  • Best Buy For Business transactions and BestBuy.com Marketplace items.
  • Competitors' service prices, special daily or hourly sales.
  • Any financing offers, bundle offers, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, coupon offers, items that are advertised as limited quantity, out of stock items, clearance items, open-box items, refurbished items, pre-owned items, credit card offers, gift card offers, rent/lease to own items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving, whether offered by Best Buy or a competitor.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
Not accurate:
Interesting. I stand corrected. I haven't tried to PM anything in BB for a year or two so they may have amended it since then.

Reactions: bkjohn

·
The Sysop
35,824 Posts
jet.com is amazon's competition.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Walmart will price match amazon and several other online retailers as long as the item is shipped and sold by that site and not third party. Also the item must be identical in color and model as well as in stock.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.