Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get some suggestions on a scope for my 7.62 AK. I have no experience with optics at all. This will be my first scope. I am using it for mainly target shooting but would like something that will still be good enough to hunt with should I ever decide to. I am not looking to spend too much. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
depends on your eyes and what distance you want to shoot. i avoid the dust cover mounts. period. avoid the gas block mounted rails. nice way to cook your optic.

from there you have options. if you want to go with a standard scope go over to kalinka optics and get yourself a low profile, centered, side scope mount. then mount whatever you want to it that can stand up to the 30 cal round.

if you want a red dot check out the usual pk-a and obzors. very nice.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Robfather said:
depends on your eyes and what distance you want to shoot. i avoid the dust cover mounts. period. avoid the gas block mounted rails. nice way to cook your optic.

from there you have options. if you want to go with a standard scope go over to kalinka optics and get yourself a low profile, centered, side scope mount. then mount whatever you want to it that can stand up to the 30 cal round.

if you want a red dot check out the usual pk-a and obzors. very nice.
Wish you didnt show me those red dots now I want one of those also. I have a cheap utg side mount and was thinking more along the lines of scope for it. But as you see I am open to better ideas. my vision is fairly good I will be shooting as close as 25yds up to 200yrds. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
4x POSP from copes distributing.

Anything over 4x is just overkill for 7.62x39 in my opinion... In fact, I prefer iron sights (aftermarket of course).

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
The Robfather said:
i avoid the dust cover mounts. period.
You need to check out the TWS "dog leg" rail... A little pricey, but it is pretty much flawless if installed correctly.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
AkunaMatata said:
You need to check out the TWS "dog leg" rail... A little pricey, but it is pretty much flawless if installed correctly.
seen them. not really a fan honestly.

also not a fan of the fixed 4 up to 8x posp's on ak's. great if you always shoot at a longer range but when you shoot at 50 yards or under they become a pain in the rump.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
The Robfather said:
seen them. not really a fan honestly.

also not a fan of the fixed 4 up to 8x posp's on ak's. great if you always shoot at a longer range but when you shoot at 50 yards or under they become a pain in the rump.
Yeah, that's why I like a good ghost ring iron sight option over optics on the AK.

I suppose a side mount with a 2-7x or 1-4x would work, but I don't have any great combo ideas that would have proper eye relief, cheek weld height, recoil durability, etc.

Too bad they don't make a 2.5x or 3x POSP... That would be perfect, like a cheapo Ruskie ACOG.

What did you dislike about the TWS rail? My only real complaints are that the rear sight is non adjustable and the screws were of less than outstanding quality.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to do one of those nice russian scopes. But I want to get something I can switch between my ak's and my other rifle's. Plus thats more than I have to spend right now. So 4x32 is no good for me at 25yrds? but it would be ok at 100yrds? I literally know nothing about scopes. I need something that will be good at both range's more in the $50-100 range. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
You *can* use a 4x at 25 yards, but you're not going to be very fast on target.

I'm pretty comfortable using 3x and lower magnification at fast and close shooting by leaving both eyes open and just point shooting for the stuff that is really really close, but to me 4x crosses over to being just a little too much magnification for getting on targets quickly.

I know you're looking for a scope, but in your price range you probably wont find anything of high quality. You need a mount, which is a bare minimum of $30 for the lower end mounts, then a scope that will be 1 or 2 variable power... Not saying they don't exist, but I have never seen a tactical scope that I would trust to withstand AK-47 recoil for $70 or less.

Now, you say you want to hunt with it, but what else are you planning on using this rifle for? At what ranges and for what game are you planning on hunting?

I am biased towards iron sights because that is what I run, but let me explain my reasoning.

I have an SKS with tech sights (rear mounted ghost ring), and it can hold 10 shot groups inside a 10" target at 200 yards all day, any day, with "cold bore" groups doing even better. That means it maintains deer hunting accuracy well past the effective range that you could hunt deer with the 7.62x39mm round (I would only trust a clean deer kill from x39 inside 150 yards or so, using SP ammo).

So, assuming that the AK will have similar accuracy with tech sights (which I will be testing this weekend with a WASR), there is really no reason to want optics if you are going to use it as a brush gun (which is all the x39 ballistics will allow when you're talking about a clean deer kill).

Plus, for shooting the paper bad guys, you'll find that quality iron sights to be more than enough for hitting torso sized targets at 200 and 300 yard ranges (provided you're a decent shot), which are the max range distances we have on long island; and certainly well beyond the reasonable realm of defense preparedness... Not to mention, with factory loaded x39, optics aren't going to help you a whole lot beyond 350 yards.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should have explained better. I am new to alot of this. I had a shotgun for years and that was all I shot. I only in the last year have ventured into rifle's. I now have a decent little collection. I prefer my AK's over anything else in my collection and wanted to get something for say calverton 100 yrds just to have for all my rifles but would mainly be used on an AK. As for hunting I really dont plan on it I am a big animal lover but I wanted to know should I need to I would have the capability to hunt with or shoot long range. Also I already ordered a side mount for it made by utg. Thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts