Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved my on board air setup to under my Jeep TJ.

From the tank i used this type of air hose:

Amflo 576-508-3-1 Three Rolls of 3/8" x 50' Orange PVC Air Hose

to these type of connectors:

..along with band clamps...and the hose keeps coming lose off the connector. I'm only running a max of 150 psi, the hose is rated for 300 psi.

The only thing I can think of is that the hose is a PVC hose...maybe I should try rubber??

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
I would suggest using some PVC glue (to soften the PVC) on the fitting (give it some grip) since the pvc is hard and slippery to begin with as opposed to a rubber hose.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I had the same problem I tried everything under the sun I ended up heating it up alittle bit so it would be softer then clamp it fast while its soft. It held for another few months at which point I went to the old reliable rubber hose and have thrown all my PVC airhose away. They use some type of epoxy when the factory makes connections and I could never find out what it was I tried PVC cement which made it worse I also used 5 min A and B type which sorta worked.  

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mikeee said:
I had the same problem I tried everything under the sun I ended up heating it up alittle bit so it would be softer then clamp it fast while its soft. It held for another few months at which point I went to the old reliable rubber hose and have thrown all my PVC airhose away. They use some type of epoxy when the factory makes connections and I could never find out what it was I tried PVC cement which made it worse I also used 5 min A and B type which sorta worked.
Thats sorta my issue...once it gets warm it gets very soft and unreliable.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
had same problem using PVC on my pancake nail gun compressor the compressor put out so much heat from compressing the air it melts the hoses. I had over 300ft of brand new PVC air hose it all went to the garbage.

·
Still working on a screen name
6,642 Posts
I think the problem lies more in the clamp than the hose. Are you using the type that need to be tightened with a screwdriver? They will have a problem holding the pressure, especially when warm. The best type are the ones that get "crimped "on, but that requires a special heavyduty crimper and the proper crimp-on  size clamp that goes over it.

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kevin said:
You could also try compression fittings
Can they be attached to a 1/4" female NPT?

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Recoil said:
That hose and fitting are not really compatible.

That fitting is designed for socketless push on tubing.

That hose really needs crimped on ends.

Info on socketless hose/fittings:
http://www.hosexpress.com/hose/socketless/socketless.htm

You could consider going to Moreland Hose in Hempstead or Bohemia and having them crimp on ends for you. Or get some socketless hose for those fittings.
I'm really leaning towards this..

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oops. THis has been resolved. I picked up industrial hose..the pvc was crap-o-la

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I have seen a nylon/plastic hose used on air break systems.  They run at 125 PSI.  Try to find a hose shop, a place that specialized in hydraulic/air hoses.  They should be able to help you.  

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Those are quick connectors and should not be a need for clamps. A lot of times they are deffective and they dont hold under pressure. Just get some metal hose clamps and that should do the trick, if not, just replace them, you can call air power tools, ask for burt, he will help you

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
acamato said:
I have seen a nylon/plastic hose used on air break systems. They run at 125 PSI. Try to find a hose shop, a place that specialized in hydraulic/air hoses. They should be able to help you.
Moreland Hose, in Sayville on Sunrise Hwy, south side just east of the car dealers... in the strip mall where the adult shop is (they've got the biggest sign)

I've gone in there with crazy things and they've always been able to help me out... nice pricing too - They have made fittings for me when I needed a non-standard item even.

Now, the barb you're using, needs to be the right size to start with... if it just slips in without needing heat and/or lube it WILL NOT hold, clamped, crimped, glued - nothing's going to hold if the barb is too small.

PVC hose, is NOT good for your application, it gets stiff in cold weather and kinks easily, rubber or a braided line (which would be my choice) whether stainless or a fiber braid is the way to go. (still needs the right sized barb!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.