Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a weekend hog hunting trip in Florida. First off, I figured I would provide an update regarding my experience flying with a firearm through LaGuardia. I have a Nassau license. I got to the airport with my S&W 460 locked in the regular blue plastic box that it came in. This was placed in my checked luggage. I put on a trigger lock and also ran a cable lock through the cylinder for good measure. I also pad-locked the case shut. The ammo was in a separate locked ammo can (despite the fact that the FAA website says the ammo can be stored in the locked pistol case). I was also traveling with a Bow, which I thought might compound problems. When I got to the Jet Blue terminal at LaGuardia, I walked to the ticket counter and advised them that I was checking in for my flight and needed to declare a firearm. The agent called TSA Police and they were there within 10 minutes. He inspected the firearm had me lock it up and walked me to the scanner. The whole ordeal took 15 minutes. The only bad part was that I got there super early expecting it to take a long time. It was smooth as can be. Anyway, it was nice to hang out in the free part of the country. We took 6 total hogs using bows, the pistol and a .40cal Beretta CX4 carbine. We also stopped by the range and rented a full auto MP5. As Ferris Bueller said, "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." That thing is unreal.

·
Powderfinger
2,473 Posts
Sounded like a great weekend, very nice.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its pretty good. We made ribs for lunch yesterday. The smaller the hog, the better the taste, but they were tasty. We had a bunch of meat made into sausage as well. I haven't tried that yet. We got back late last night. Don't worry about flying with firearms. I was nervous and it went well. That's not to say it will always be as easy, but hey, you have to live your life. If youre really worried, our guide service had loaner rifles and shotguns.

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
People like my cousin and her liberal idiot husband "no one needs a gun, just call 911" are ruining a perfectly good state with their Massachusetts mindset.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
I had less trouble at JFK than I did at ISP

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm flying internationally out of JFK with long guns next year and I don't possess a NYC permit - I'm sure people do it daily, but anything I should know to keep me up at night once the bot worm dreams end?
I asked the officer how often people check guns and he said at least 10 per day. So its pretty common. He said if you follow the rules, don't act like an idiot and use common sense, you'll be fine. It was even better in Florida. They don't call an officer. Rather a senior JetBlue ticket agent comes over, looks at the gun and gives it the ok to go. Talk about easy peezy.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
I'm flying internationally out of JFK with long guns next year and I don't possess a NYC permit - I'm sure people do it daily, but anything I should know to keep me up at night once the bot worm dreams end?
Not really, just leave yourself some extra time (30-45 min). It probably won't even take that long. You declare that you have long guns to declare, Agent taking bags calls PAPD, they check them, you lock them (Non- TSA lock) and they go in with baggage. As long as you are not a NYC resident so you do not need the NYC permit. Interesting note: I was talking with the PAPD Officer as we walked over to check the rifles. We were talking guns and suddenly some woman in a suit came out of nowhere and said "Guns? You need a permit, you need paperwork..." I stopped her by saying "They are long guns NOT handguns, I am not a NYC Resident so I don't need a damn thing so get back in your hole!" She looked at the PAPD Officer and he shrugged his shoulders and said "He's right." With that, she disappeared.The baggage screener watched as I opened the case and showed the officer that the rifles were empty. I also pulled up the foam to show the rest of the case was empty. The baggage screener then wanted to run the case through the x-ray machine and the Officer stopped him by saying "We just saw that there are rifles in there and the rest of the case is empty...what are you trying to prove? He then tagged the case and off I went. This was right after 9/11- they have gotten better. Even with all that, the whole thing took 15-20 minutes

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
I just got back......at LaGuardia,.....The agent called TSA Police and they were there within 10 minutes......
TSA worker or Port Authority Police?

I've traveled with firearms numerous times. The only glitch is how long it takes the PAPD to get there. Once or twice they were there in less than 10 minutes, other times 30 or 40 minutes....

EDIT. Got it.

Flying out of San Fran was almost as EASY as Boseman, Montana. San Fran was a quick check by TSA, Boseman nobody checked after I told them.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
TSA worker or Port Authority Police?

I've traveled with firearms numerous times. The only glitch is how long it takes the PAPD to get there. Once or twice they were there in less than 10 minutes, other times 30 or 40 minutes....

EDIT. Got it.

Flying out of San Fran was almost as EASY as Boseman, Montana. San Fran was a quick check by TSA, Boseman nobody checked after I told them.
perhaps there was a coffee and doughnut break??

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
perhaps there was a coffee and doughnut break??
Not too sure, but they seemed disinterested. They asked if my ammo (.44Mag) was in a 'factory' box...and I said yes. A factory did make the box....I suppose. And that was it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.