Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Campsite Range Day at Brookhaven I had the opportunity to shoot the Remington XCR in 338 Lapua and I might even say I enjoyed it more than the Bushmaster and Barrett 50cal.

As we all know the 338. Lapua is practically as expensive as the 50 cal.

My question is how does the 300win mag compare to the 338., 50cal and .308 in affordability and performance.

Also, are there any favorite suggestions for a good yet affordable bolt action in 300 WinMag?

·
Mr. ¼ MOA
3,104 Posts
The least expensive 300 Win Mags you'll find are the sportier
types with thinner barrels used mainly for hunting. These rifles
would typically cost you about $600+. Although they are the
least expensive, not the best choice for 5 shot groups in accuracy
tests.

From about $1,000 - $1250 you can get your hands on a new
Remington long action 300 Win Mag with heavier barrel online
at sites like GunBroker.com

Choices would be the Remington 700 Police or Sendero in a
24" or 26" barrel. Or... my choice would be the Remington
700 Stainless Steel 5R Rifling with a 24" barrel and threaded
muzzle for applying a muzzle brake since the 300 Win Mag
will produce brisk recoil. Stick to a 1:10" twist so that you
can stabilize heavier bullets.

This is a new Remington 700 SS 5R 24" w/ thread barrel:

Down the line if you like the rifle enough, get a better stock
like a Bell & Carlson or Accuracy International (AI).

I'm aiming to build a civilian version of this rifle - the XM2010.

Keep in mind that you will not end at just the rifle. You will
eventually want to install a detachable magazine which can
easily run you $350 alone and a decent scope will cost just
as much if not more than the rifle itself.

If you get serious enough where you want to take the 300WM
to sub MOA results @ 200yrds plus, you'll need to reload.
Don't expect factory ammo to do this consistently. Even some
of the best factory ammo choices like Black Hills 190gr will cost
you nearly $40 for a box of 20 and will barely shoot 1 MOA
at times.

However I can say that the 300 Win Mag is a super sweet tack
driver. Mated with the right rifle, muzzle brake and ammo,
it'll keep you smiling all day long. Just as effective as a .338
within 1200yrds.

Peace,
GH-07

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the moment I have an M1A and a VEPR in .308 and while I like the performance of both my goal with the WinMag was to do something a little different, a little more special and a little more fun.

After trying out some high powered bolt actions at Campsites range day I'm becoming more and more interesting in long range accuracy.

·
Mr. ¼ MOA
3,104 Posts
summondemons said:
At the moment I have an M1A and a VEPR in .308 and while I like the performance of both my goal with the WinMag was to do something a little different, a little more special and a little more fun.

After trying out some high powered bolt actions at Campsites range day I'm becoming more and more interesting in long range accuracy.
I was there the same day shooting on 3 benches with the 9
rifles and chronograph about 4-5 benches away from Camp
Site's Bushmaster .50 BMG. :)

Peace,
GH-07

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
summondemons said:

But those are not bolt action rifles, and are not long range rifles.
Since you already have .308 rifles doesn't it make sense to stick with the .308 platform? You can load ammo for plinking, and ammo for long range precision. Get a good .308 bolt, and go shoot.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mad Russian said:
But those are not bolt action rifles, and are not long range rifles.
Since you already have .308 rifles doesn't it make sense to stick with the .308 platform? You can load ammo for plinking, and ammo for long range precision. Get a good .308 bolt, and go shoot.
That's what I'm getting at. The only bolt action I have is my Swiss K31 and while it is accurate I can't find a scope mount suitable for it.

The reasoning behind the .300Win Mag is getting something with a little more OOMPH. But I still haven't ruled out a .308 yet.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
summondemons said:
That's what I'm getting at. The only bolt action I have is my Swiss K31 and while it is accurate I can't find a scope mount suitable for it.

Plenty of scope mounts for it, you haven't looked hard enough.
Without doing exotic searches, good old Brownells sells several versions, this is one:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1666/Product/SWISS-PRODUCTS-SCHMIDT-RUBIN-K31-SCOPE-MOUNT

The reasoning behind the .300Win Mag is getting something with a little more OOMPH. But I still haven't ruled out a .308 yet.
So you want a little more "OOOMPH" does that mean you want the extra 10 ft/lbs of recoil? You haven't answered the original question: What do you want to do with it? You can buy a .300 hunting rifle, and it will put up MOA groups for maybe four rounds, that's what hunting rifles are designed to do. After that group the barrel will be hot, and your shots will be all over the place. Still Minute Of Deer, but not target rifle groups. Or you can buy a target rifle, and spend some serious dough, but where are you going to shoot with it?

·
Iconoclast
537 Posts
A lot depends on your definition of "affordable".

Savage 110BA in either .300 WinMag or .338 LM. The .338 is far more powerful than the .300, and about three times the cost for Black Hills with 300 gr. Match Kings. The Hornady .338 with the 285 gr. A-Max or HPBT will cost you about $90.00 per box of 20.
At about $1800.00 bare, the rifle will shoot sub moa at any distance you can hold sub moa in either caliber with a decent optic.
Savage also has the 10BA in .308; I don't have one of those but would presume it shoots as well as its big brothers.
Almost everything on the rifles is adjustable, length of pull, height of comb, and especially the Accu-trigger.

Too bad you didn't post earlier; I just traded the .338LM 110BA for a fully loaded Anschutz target .22LR with an Unertl scope and external micrometer adjustments.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand that at least on Long Island I can get a .308 to do what a 300WM can. I have a few friends who have some land and some serious rifles and wanted to go long as possible.

What I can afford also depends on what I can trade for. I don't have the cash at the moment but I'm willing to put one or two rifles on the chopping block for a nice bolt action .308 or if lucky enough .300WM.

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
The reality is, unless your going to go [email protected] deep into long range target shooting, a good .308 rifle will be more than enough. A good .308 will be capable of shooting better than you can. I have a Thompson Center Venture in .308 and shot a .444" group at 100 yds.

·
Iconoclast
537 Posts
If SUMMONDEMONS wants a rifle with more "oomph" and long range capabilities, who are we to say him nay? Sometimes "good enough" is not good enough. Don't we all have something we didn't need, but had to have anyway - just because?

I don't hunt at all, much less dangerous game in Africa, yet I have a .505 Gibbs, .500 Jeffery, .460 Weatherby, .416 Rigby, .416 Weatherby, .378 Weatherby and .375 H&H because I wanted them, not because I needed them.

Get what satisfies that inner craving, not because you need it, not because it's practical… but just because.

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
untactical said:
If SUMMONDEMONS wants a rifle with more "oomph" and long range capabilities, who are we to say him nay? Sometimes "good enough" is not good enough. Don't we all have something we didn't need, but had to have anyway - just because?

I don't hunt at all, much less dangerous game in Africa, yet I have a .505 Gibbs, .500 Jeffery, .460 Weatherby, .416 Rigby, .416 Weatherby, .378 Weatherby and .375 H&H because I wanted them, not because I needed them.

Get what satisfies that inner craving, not because you need it, not because it's practical… but just because.
I would hate to be a water buffalo in your neighborhood! ;D

·
Iconoclast
537 Posts
summondemons said:
What do you guys think about the Remington AAC-SD in .308? That's something I've had in mind for a while now.
Go to some gun shops, hug, cuddle and fondle them all. You'll soon find one that hugs you back, and that's the one to get.

Whatever anyone here may like or dislike, you're the one that has to feel good enough with it to make the investment.
It'll be the one that you feel you can't put down.
They're all good shooters in competent hands, capable of fine accuracy.

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
untactical said:

Agreed!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
+1 for the WIN 300 Mag as a semi-affordable bridge between the .308 and .338 Lapua, with a bit more reach than the venerable .308. I am very happy with my 7.62x51/WIN.308 Rock River LAR-8 for the 200-yard ranges that we have on LI and it works for me. If you want to shoot at 1,000-yards+ upstate and actually hit your target, the WIN 300 Mag is a logical step up.  

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.