Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be visiting my parents who live in Essex County and also shooting on one of their friends properties in Warren County. I know all the rules/laws about traveling through NYC and also shooting on private property in NYS.

My question is this. If I want to CCW (I have the typical Suffolk Count Sportsman Lic) while visiting and traveling within these two counties should I contact the Sheriffs Office and let them know and/or get permission from them etc?

·
Banned
10,014 Posts
You need to follow the rules of the county you live in. Being upstate doesn't change things for us.

People from upstate can carry down here, but you can't. Gotta love that logic.
Ok The rules of my county say that I am only allowed to carry to and from the range. So all other times that I am transporting my pistols in these two counties (essex and warren) I must keep them locked up? or am I not even allowed to travel with them?

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
No need to notify the authorities about having a Suffolk County Pistol License.
If you do carry it make sure that you are on private property. I had a DEC Encon walk on my land during this time of year. I had my G19 service weapon on my hip. The Game Warden was asked to leave since he was on posted private land.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Not necessarily "locked up" as required by NYC, just not on your person. Unloaded in a range bag would be within the rules.
As always, the best plan is to avoid any situation that would result in requiring you to interact with local law enforcement.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Ok The rules of my county say that I am only allowed to carry to and from the range. So all other times that I am transporting my pistols in these two counties (essex and warren) I must keep them locked up? or am I not even allowed to travel with them?
Chief,
You can travel with them locked up.
My understanding is we can carry between home and the range.
Not sure if traveling between the home you are visiting and the range counts.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
1. You have a New York State Pistol License.
2 Your license states that it is not valid in New York City. FOPA rules apply here while transporting across NYC.
3. Concealed means concealed.
4. The police upstate do not care very much about Nassau or Suffolk County restrictions.
5. That being said, your license also states that it is revocable at any time. If your concealed carry comes to
anyone's attention, they might or might not report you to your County Police. If you get reported for carrying out
of class, Your license will probably be taken away. You will need a lawyer to get it back.
6. If you actually have to use that concealed pistol, would you worry about a possible revocation, when you take it out of the holster? In this State you will need a lawyer anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
You need to follow the rules of the county you live in. Being upstate doesn't change things for us.

People from upstate can carry down here, but you can't. Gotta love that logic.
Not necessarily true. Call the sheriffs office. I know a PO from fishkill and they do not enforce the restrictions on our licenses. State only has 2 types of permit, carry and premises. If it isn't premises it's a carry to them. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
38,620 Posts
Not necessarily true. Call the sheriffs office. I know a PO from fishkill and they do not enforce the restrictions on our licenses. State only has 2 types of permit, carry and premises. If it isn't premises it's a carry to them. Just an FYI.
They may not enforce it, but it's still a violation and could result in revocation or suspension if someone does make a call. Just putting the correct info out there. We are all adults and do what's best for us after that.

·
Retired
1,905 Posts
I will be visiting my parents who live in Essex County and also shooting on one of their friends properties in Warren County. I know all the rules/laws about traveling through NYC and also shooting on private property in NYS.

My question is this. If I want to CCW (I have the typical Suffolk Count Sportsman Lic) while visiting and traveling within these two counties should I contact the Sheriffs Office and let them know and/or get permission from them etc?
I will be in Essex county this weekend also. Maybe I will see you around.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
I think "to and from the range" (as we down-staters like to say) also means to and from anywhere where you are allowed to use the gun for sporting purposes. That could be afield or on somebody's private property where you're legally allowed to discharge the gun and you have their permission.

If that's correct, then while you're up there, you will ALWAYS be on your way to or coming from that place.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
Stand with one leg on warren and one leg in Essex and you should be good cause you really aren't in any one county.
If anyone ask tell them you did a ton of research on the internet and you are in the right.

Reactions: ChiefSailer

·
Banned
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You must have missed the "
"
Nope I saw it. I was just trying to be funny also.

Thanks for all the advice above. I thought for just one weekend that I could feel a little freedom in this tyrannical state but I was wrong.

Anyhow, the good news is that I will get to shoot my .22 rifles with my boys and dad altogether for once. Making memories a little at a time.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.