Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son will be joining the Freeport Junior Club in a few weeks and I know they prefer the kids use a bolt action rifle. My son is 11 years old and about 4'-10" tall. The full size 10/22 that I have is too big for him to hold properly and he uses a front shooting rest when he does shoot it.

So my question is what youth bolt action rifle would be good for him and should it be a single shot or magazine fed? Thanks.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
Do not sweat it. They have many rifles for the kids to use and they fit all sizes, from my petite 8 year old daughter to my behemoth 11 year old son.

That said, if you really want a good bolt for him, get the Ruger American 22LR. You can adjust the stock and it uses 10/22 mags. My son tried that one and liked it a lot. But I really advise letting him attend the junior league a few times to get into it and let him try some different rifles.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/index.html

See you there!!!!!

·
Banned
10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do not sweat it. They have many rifles for the kids to use and they fit all sizes, from my petite 8 year old daughter to my behemoth 11 year old son.

That said, if you really want a good bolt for him, get the Ruger American 22LR. You can adjust the stock and it uses 10/22 mags. My son tried that one and liked it a lot. But I really advise letting him attend the junior league a few times to get into it and let him try some different rifles.

http://www.ruger.com...fire/index.html

See you there!!!!!
Thanks Lyle. See you there also. I assume your son is feeling much better?

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
Yes thanks for asking. Two more days of the meds and he is good to go!

Reactions: ChiefSailer

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
Look for a 10/22 stock used and cut it to fit him they should be pretty easy

Reactions: Beaker

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
Reactions: iceburg19

·
Banned
11,831 Posts

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
obviously he's in serious need of an Appleseed event.
This is the type of sling we used in PBC competiton. Attached to front sling swivel only. It's for target only, doesn't function to carry the rifle but supports the muzzle heavy target barrel very well. Paired it up with padded shooting jackets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.