Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/18/adolphus-busch-iv-nra_n_3112750.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=2477679,b=facebook

Adolphus Busch IV Resigns From NRA After Gun Control Defeat In Senate

Posted: 04/18/2013 7:17 pm EDT | Updated: 04/18/2013 8:27 pm EDT

WASHINGTON -- Adolphus Busch IV, heir to the Busch family brewing fortune, resigned his lifetime membership in the National Rifle Association on Thursday, writing in a letter to NRA President David Keene, "I fail to see how the NRA can disregard the overwhelming will of its members who see background checks as reasonable."

The resignation, first reported by KSDK, came a day after the Senate rejected a series of amendments to a gun control bill, including a bipartisan deal to expand background checks for gun sales. The NRA had vigorously opposed all those measures.

"The NRA I see today has undermined the values upon which it was established," wrote Busch. "Your current strategic focus clearly places priority on the needs of gun and ammunition manufacturers while disregarding the opinions of your 4 million individual members."

Reached for comment on Busch's resignation, NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam told The Huffington Post, "We disagree with his characterization, but we wish him all the best."

Busch joined the pro-gun organization in 1975 and has spoken before of his love of hunting. But the NRA has moved in a direction that Busch would not follow. "One only has to look at the makeup of the 75-member board of directors, dominated by manufacturing interests, to confirm my point. The NRA appears to have evolved into the lobby for gun and ammunition manufacturers rather than gun owners," he wrote.

Busch told Keene, "It disturbs me greatly to see this rigid new direction of the NRA." He singled out the gun lobby's reversal of its 1999 position in favor of universal background checks, as well as its opposition to an assault weapons ban and a ban on high-capacity magazines. "I am simply unable to comprehend how assault weapons and large capacity magazines have a role in your vision," he wrote.

"Was it not the NRA position to support background checks when Mr. LaPierre himself stated in 1999 that NRA saw checks as 'reasonable'?" Busch wrote, referring to NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre's testimony at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing in the wake of the 1999 Columbine High School shooting.

At that time, LaPierre said the NRA believed that universal background checks were a "reasonable" choice. The group even took out ads in major newspapers that read, "We believe it's reasonable to provide for instant background checks at gun shows, just like gun stores and pawn shops."

One week after that hearing, LaPierre rolled out the same argument that he would use 14 years later to attack President Barack Obama's gun safety proposals -- namely, that until the government prosecutes more background check violations, there is no point in expanding them.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story stated incorrectly that Adolphus Busch IV had resigned his membership on the NRA board. Busch was not a member of the board.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
NRA needs to come up with an unavoidably clear, rational, solid message that cannot be ignored.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
I bet more people died from drinking alcohol last year than rifles. More than pistols and rifles combined is most likely.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
Every time I see someone reference "hunting" regarding the Second Amendment I feel like throwing up. That goes for Busch too. With the Marxists in control now, we have very little true representation any longer. A handful of Tea Party members of Congress are on our side but the rest of the RINOs and Democrats would have us destroyed. We cannot afford to compromise our Constitutional Rights any longer. Give the Commies an inch and they want to be the ruler.

·
Right-wing Sith
6,537 Posts
Heh. He was obviously a fifth columnist.

I agree with grifhunter, his so-called beer sucks eggs.

As a new NRA member I say bye bye

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
NRA needs to come up with an unavoidably clear, rational, solid message that cannot be ignored.
I think they have. It is prosecute the people who commit crimes using laws that are already on the books. The fact that so many crimes are plead down to almost nothing means that existing laws have no teeth.

·
Supreme Pontificator
6,971 Posts
You know that but do you think most gun owners know that? I didn't.
I would hope if gun owners decided to boycott certain products they would make sure their efforts were worthwhile by doing some research. Frankly, I don't know if he has any ongoing financial interest since the buyout. But I do know he was never involved in the daily operations of Anheuser-Busch in any meaningful way.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
They have. How could you have missed it on the Mainstream news ??

·
Walker1847
12,106 Posts
I don't believe he has much to do with Anheuser-Busch which is now owned by a company in Belgium.
Thank the Huffington post for that in the first few words of their report....

"Adolphus Busch IV, heir to the Busch family brewing fortune..."

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,785 Posts
As a monarchist, I can say it is NOT the king of beers.

And I listen to his billions as much as I listen to Bloomberg's.

·
Lousy Shot
16,249 Posts
Why do people "announce" that they're leaving or think anybody cares. Just leave.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts