Long Island Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am Robert Stevens, a retired teacher, a proud dad, and a seasoned deer hunter. Hunting is nothing new to me. I get introduced to hunting at an early age and since then spent countless hours in the woods and learned good lessons in terms of woodsmanship. My hunting career is highlighted with some big bugs that other hunters dream to gun down. To me, sharing of skills and knowledge means helping others. The Ranger Expert is the site where I shared my hunting expertise. The favorite hunting time of mine was late December through mid-January. Do you want to know what makes a successful hunter? It's all about hard work, passion, and a bit of luck.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
or troll...

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,394 Posts
Try this one, also.

Gary

Venison roast
This recipe does not change, whether you choose to use deer, elk or moose meat. This recipe makes 6~8 servings, depending on the size of the initial haunch or meat.

Ingredients:
3~4 pound game meat roast (from the round or shoulder),
3 tablespoons of neutral flavored cooking oil (canola, safflower or sunflower),
8 tablespoons (1 stick) of butter (we prefer salted butter),
enough all-purpose flour, to lightly coat the roast, plus
2 tablespoons of onion powder or granulated onion,
1 tablespoons of granulated garlic or garlic powder,
salt and pepper, to taste.

Procedure:
Heat a non-reactive (stainless steel or enamel-coated cast iron) Dutch oven, over medium high, with the oil in the pot. While it's heating, combine the salt, pepper, garlic, onion and flour, then use it to lightly coat the roast, on all sides. (Putting the flour mix in a large, plastic bag, shaking, to combine, then adding the roast, is an easy way to do this.)
When the oil is starting to smoke, add the butter. Allow the butter to melt. When the butter is melted, stir or swirl, to combine the butter and oil, then add the roast, browning it, on all sides.
While the roast is browning, preheat your oven, to 275̊F (no, that's not a typo). When the roast is browned, on all sides, cover the Dutch oven, then transfer it to the preheated oven. Roast, covered, for at least 5 hours, possibly 6, depending on the size of the original roast, the construction of your Dutch oven and your oven's heating accuracy.
The roast will be fall-apart tender, when it's done.
If you have a fat separator, you can use the fat and juices to make an excellent gravy, after adding it to a roux.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts