Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm packing my things for a move out this weekend. I can't find any UHaul trailers for a 1 way trip. There are very few on the island..no large size or small. I asked the Uhaul guys and they said that everyone is leaving NY and no one is coming back.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Heard a guy say that he was considering renting a Home Depot or Loews truck for a PA move.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm packing my things for a move out this weekend. I can't find any UHaul trailers for a 1 way trip. There are very few on the island..no large size or small. I asked the Uhaul guys and they said that everyone is leaving NY and no one is coming back.
I'm on the "5 Year Plan" myself. Or less if I can convince my other half. This island is a sinking over-priced cesspool. While there are more of "us" on LI, we are still lumped in with the rest of the downstate cidiots.

Good luck on the move.

·
Registered
40 Posts
More reason to leave. I envy anyone able to get out now. I've always said Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk were Cuomo's personal ATM.

Dear Friend:

Today, I joined with my fellow New York State Senators Phil Boyle, Alexis Weik and Anthony Palumbo to raise our voices in opposition to the gas and home heating tax increase that has been proposed by Senate Democrats. The legislation (S.4264), which is sponsored by over 25 Senate Democrats, could add up to 55 cent-per-gallon in taxes on New Yorkers when they fill their gas tanks and increase the cost of natural gas for residential home heating by 25 percent.

It is truly astounding that only weeks after raising taxes on New Yorkers by over $4 billion, the Senate Democratic Conference is already looking to double-down by increasing the cost of living for Long Island families. These new taxes will add to the financial burden our households already face just as our region begins to restart our economy. This is the wrong idea at the wrong time.

Long Islanders are constantly driving - whether it is travelling to work, driving our kids to school or simply enjoying time with our families. And there is no way they can avoid heating their home in the winter.

Additionally, this added cost would impact every single business in our region and lead to an increase in the price of everything our families need and use. It will have a very real impact on our construction industry - the backbone of our economy - and impede our overall recovery from COVID lockdowns. It will also have a negative effect on our struggling tourism industry just as these businesses were starting to see a reopening.

Our residents, especially our young men and women who are just starting out, are already leaving our state due to high taxes. Adding to that burden will likely force more people to move out and could lead to our region seeing New York State lose another congressional seat or two when we conduct the census again. Simply put, New York State should be a partner in rebuilding our region stronger than before but this will drive more of New Yorkers away.

I hope residents will join me in my effort to stop Albany Democrats from reaching into the pockets of our residents. Please click here to join the effort to protect our families and to tell Albany that Long Island is not the ATM of New York State.

Together, we must let Albany know that we already pay enough!

Sincerely,

Mario R. Mattera

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I've heard it's the same situation with trying to get a Uhaul in California. The one way trip from CA to Idaho, Texas, Nevada has left CA with very few Uhauls. On the other hand you have home prices on the island going through the roof with folks trying to escape NYC bidding up prices here. Crazy times.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
Last trip I was up to move stuff down (2 yrs ago now), I wanted a trailer to bring a friend's stuff down for his son and daughter. Not a trailer to be had

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
I've heard it's the same situation with trying to get a Uhaul in California. The one way trip from CA to Idaho, Texas, Nevada has left CA with very few Uhauls. On the other hand you have home prices on the island going through the roof with folks trying to escape NYC bidding up prices here. Crazy times.
Homes here in Fl sell before they are listed, with bidding wars quite common. A friend who is a LI RE Atty says much the same on the island

Reactions: gcloss

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
When I was faced with moving, I had cars, tools, machinery, safes, etc. Even with paring down, it was monstrous. I priced a trailer on the Island, and a plain cargo trailer 24' box was 8 grand, car trailer was not available. I borrowed a 16' trailer from a friend for 2 trips, and bought a 24' (28' actual with 2' Vee and 2' tongue) from a broker in Douglas, GA where they are made. Car trailer, heavy duty axles, 2 spare tires, $4750 out the door. Added E Track and add'l wall ties, got a temp tag and made 5 trips with it

Reactions: gcloss

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
My last trip, I had to bring my car dolly down, and still had a bunch of stuff. Took an old Jeep Cherokee I had, put it on the tow dolly, filled it and loaded the roofrack. Did the Beverly Hillbillies thing down I 95 but I didn't care, I was getting the F out!

Reactions: Lou G and gcloss

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
My daughter is getting married and moving to South Carolina. She said that the price aseked for a 1 way UHaul rental was $2,000.

·
Registered
40 Posts
And yet as bad as NY and Long Island is, houses are still being sold, quickly I may add. House across the street from me never saw a sign on the front lawn. Gone.

People are still interested in moving "to" Long Island. Hope it stays that way for all those trying to sell their real estate and leave.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
And yet as bad as NY and Long Island is, houses are still being sold, quickly I may add. House across the street from me never saw a sign on the front lawn. Gone.

People are still interested in moving "to" Long Island. Hope it stays that way for all those trying to sell their real estate and leave.
it's the city people moving to the Island......it will be interesting to see if Long Island becomes more blue in future elections

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it's the city people moving to the Island......it will be interesting to see if Long Island becomes more blue in future elections
That’s like asking if the sky is blue, or if the sun is hot, or if boys are XY and girls are XX. Oh, never mind…

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
It’s still crazy people in certain areas of Long Island people are getting in bidding wars to buy a house. Florida is a great place to move if you like the heat and humidity.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts