Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
It was my son's birthday party today and when he was laughing I noticed that the left side of his face was not moving. It was paralyzed. We threw him in the car, and drove like maniacs to the Pediatric Emergency at Stony Brook.

First of all, they have FREE valet parking. What an amazing idea. Last thing I wanted to do was look for parking when my child is ill. Who ever thought of it was a pure genius.

We did not have to wait at all. We saw a doctor right away, and we were home within 2.5 hours. Everybody - the security, the nurses, and the doctors - was exceptional. They took care of my son quickly and kept us calm at the same time.

He will be fine. Apparently, he has Bell's Palsy, he is on steroids now and they will let us know if it was caused by Lyme disease once the tests are done. It should get resolved on its own in time.

I know that not many people give positive reviews, but I felt that this one was necessary. If your child has a medical emergency, and you live in Suffolk, do not hesitate to go to Stony Brook. It is a hike from where we live, but it was worth it.

· Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Glad to hear all is well. my father had Bells Palsy (he noticed he couldn't whistle) and within 10 days it was gone....

Reactions: Licence to Quilt

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Scariest thing on earth is being afraid there is something hurting our children. Very happy for all of you that this is not very serious and he will be ok.
Thank God you were aware enough to notice and got him to the right place.

· Premium Member
586 Posts
Glad everything worked out for your son! That had to be a scary few hours.

I used to work in the Stony Brook ER when I was younger. Great bunch and saw some amazing things happen.

Reactions: Licence to Quilt

· Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Glad he's doing well. Make sure to follow up with a neuro doc. And get him PT if they recommend it. Besides Lymes, chicken pox and the virus that causes cold sores can cause it too. If they rule out the Lyme's ask about an antiviral med to the viral causes.

I'd say you lucked out there. The ER is decent there. Luckily you had a relatively minor(albeit scary one) complaint that is self limiting. If it's ever something more serious I'd recommend St. Charles in Port Jeff. Especially for [email protected]

Also, July is when the interns arrive. Stonybrook is a teaching hospital and most of the docs in the ER have some students with them theat are more than willing to practice on you or your kids. Always ask who is touching you or performing a procedure.

· Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Glad to hear it's working out okay. We had a couple of emergencies when our kids were growing up and I really understand what you went through.

My wife was a nurse at SB for a bunch of years (and I did a stint as a patient as well). If I were sick and could pick anywhere in Suffolk, it would be Stony Brook. They get the sickest of the sick from all the Suffolk hospitals and do an amazing job. At least my wife and her friends did.

· Registered
750 Posts
Glad it went as well as it could have gone. We had a positive experience with my son at SB Pediatric as well. Funny, I hate valet parking and typically refuse it when presented. I threw my keys at the attendant and not sure the car even stopped before I got out. It is a great service to have at the emergency room. Hope the recovery is swift.

· Powderfinger
2,473 Posts
I am very glad everything will be okay for your son. Stonybrook hospital is 2nd to none in neonatal care. My son was born 2lbs 7.oz . That was 20 years ago........ Life is good !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.