Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to thank Bobby G. at Country Gunsmith for doing such a great job removing a "Frankenstein" job of Muzzle Break on a 20" HBAR and crowing the barrel for me. Not too long ago I picked up a very clean post ban 20" HBAR Bushmaster barrel for $50 at a barn sale upstate near Saratoga NY. It seemed that the previous owner tried to remove a Smith Industries Muzzle Break that was attached via set screws into the barrel by "drilling out the set screws". Looked like he drilled all the way into the barrel and the break was still attached. Needless to say results were less than successful and the owner sold the barrel to me for cheap. After reading the forums and seeing positive reviews of Bob's work at Country Gunsmith, I decided to bring the barrel over to him. I was greeting in a friendly professional manner and felt welcomed from the start. The shop was clean and he had some great deals on long guns and ammo as well as assorted accessories and cleaning supplies. Bob said he may have to cut the barrel since it was drilled into but assured me that he could easily recrown it since my intention was to use it on a varmint rig without a muzzle break. I told him I was not in a rush to get it back since bow season is here, and he told me he would call when the work was completed. Much to my surprise I received a call the very next day from Bob stating I can come and pick it up. His work was excellent, and price was more than fair. I will certainly return to Bob at Country Gunsmith for future smith work and suggest you take the time and stop in if the need arises. A+ for Country Gunsmith in Bohemia (631.567.1555)

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Country Gunsmith
1521 Ocean Ave # B4
Bohemia, NY 11716-1923
(631) 567-1555

2nd Building back

A true gentleman

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Thanks for the info. A good smith is hard to come by in these parts.

·
former ak builder
2,574 Posts
another plus for Mr. Guinta. sold me a two boxes of Norma 7.7 for about $20 a box. now thats a deal.

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Bob is really a fanstic gunsmith who does clean work.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I remember buying a rifle from him at the old Amityville gunshow many years ago. I do believe he is the same gunsmith I used to re-blue a 8mm Ackley rifle I had. But this was many years ago...and if I remember correctly he was out in the Holtsville area and he worked out of his house. He had his shop at the garage level of a split-level house. If it is the same guy..he did a great job but he was not a warm and fuzzy kind of guy. I didnt care how warm he was as long as he did a good job and he did the right thing by me. I guess he finally opened a real shop now.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Stopped in there once during my lunch break since he's around the block from the shop. Stood right up and introduced himself on the spot. Was hoping for a friendly greeting and got that and more. No pistols but as PO mentioned he did have a small selection of long arms and "bits & pieces" in the showcase. Nice guy and great work. LOOKING for something to have him work on :).
I understand his FFL prices are also one of the best at $30!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hrm I was thinking of having a barrel cut and recrowned but had no ideas where to get it done on LI.  I may call him and see how much he charges to cut and crown a Rem 700 barrel.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I used Bob to spot weld my muzzle brake on one of my AR15's, he was very nice and did a great job  :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I stopped into Bob's shop this week for him to check out an old Belgium 16 gauge Shotgun I had found in my Father's closet after he passed. To the best of my knowledge, since my mother hated guns, the thing hasn't been fired in my 42 years. I wanted to make sure it was still safe to fire.

He was working on someone's rifle and reading him the riot act, he took stopped and gave me his attention. He showed me how to take the gun apart and give it a very though inspection. He gave it a green light so I'll be trying her out at Calverton on Sunday. he was very patient with this Noob.

Can't wait!

·
former ak builder
2,574 Posts
does anyone know if bob will do receiver engraving, repainting parts, or gunkote/duracoating

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.