Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am looking to get or billed a percision rifle but I don't know much about them. This is where u guys come in lol. I am not looking to spend a bunch of money but I am not a cheep person ether. Looking for acuricy in distans but not spend a lot on ammo so not shore what caliber to look into ether any and all help would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Oh you're going to get slaughtered for that title.

Dicks has the Remington 700 with scope on sale for $450. Buy that and upgrade as necessary. Caliber, go 308 for cost and performance.

·
Walker1847
12,106 Posts
:popcorn

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
For the love of god, use the spell check feature.

Call them precision rifles. Sniping isn't a term popular in the firearms community as it generally connotes killing someone.

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
Start with a Savage 16 FCSS in .308 Win. Buy a Decent Scope. Buy a bunch of good ammo, and spend a lot of time at the range.

When you can make ten rounds go in a 1/2 inch hole at 100 yards, then start modifying it

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
About 400 dollars in favor of the Savage last time I checked, and a better trigger and stock out of the box.

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
zxracer3 said:
Dicks has the Remington 700 with scope on sale for $450. Buy that and upgrade as necessary. Caliber, go 308 for cost and performance.
this is good advice, I just bought this rifle in this caliber at this price... but if you don't own a precision .22, then that would be my first choice. I have a CZ452 American that is the most accurate rifle I own. Sub .5 MOA accuracy at around $400 and only a few cents each time you pull the trigger. If you're just punching paper, this is a great way to learn the fundamentals and learn what really impacts accuracy.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Yeah well, I saw a guy shoot a one-round 1/2 MOA group with a Barrett .50 from 1300 yards! And I shot a one-round .2230 group with my 11.5" M4 w/EoTech! ;D

Under 1/2 MOA groups seem pretty average around here....... ;)

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Dan 0351 said:
Yeah well, I saw a guy shoot a one-round 1/2 MOA group with a Barrett .50 from 1300 yards! And I shot a one-round .2230 group with my 11.5" M4 w/EoTech! ;D
funny! but a one round group is .000 MOA because it's measured from the center... :p

·
Mr. ¼ MOA
3,104 Posts
Let's start with the basics first.

Are you shooting targets or hunt... or both?

How far did were you thinking of shooting?
100yds? 200yrds? More?

How much is a lot of money on ammo for you?
$1 a round? .50 cents a round? Less? More?

You ever planning on reloading? It can get quite
expensive with time & money.

From your entry post, it definitely shows that you
are new with this and yes, the answers can be
quite obvious for you, but I'll take it from a
professional standpoint. We were all novices once.

FYI, whenever you type in the text box area,
the red color squiggly lines under the words
mean that words are most likely misspelled. :)

Peace,
GH-07

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
peteinsuffolk said:
funny! but a one round group is .000 MOA because it's measured from the center... :p
Negative. Round wobbled. ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.