Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah I know it sounds crazy but hear me out!

I picked up a brand new 870 express yesterday afternoon. Took it home. Watched the brownelles video series on how to take it down, clean, lube and put it all back together. Racked it when empty and it worked just fine.

When I got to the range today to try it out and shoot some trap, I was having intermittent problems after the shot. I wouldn't be able to work the action like it was stuck, I would push the forenend forward and then pull it back hard (yes I know poor phrasing -___-) and it would work, other times it would just take a lot of elbow grease to pull it back. And other times it wouldn't have an issue at all. Each time I made sure to pull the forearm all of the way forward so it should all be seated right.

Can anyone think of anything that may have caused this BRAND NEW 870 to have these issues?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
A lot of chatter the past couple years on new 870's. It seems to be a common issue that many 870 chamber need a little fine tuning to smooth out. A wad of steel wool on the end of a large bit or dowel and spun on a drill. Do a search on new 870 chambers and you should be able to find much talk about it and how to go about fixing it. If that's what it is. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Actually a pretty common problem with the Express model - especially, or sometimes only, if you're using crappy ammo (Winchester white box stuff).

Aside from using better shells, there is a fix - polishing the chamber. Put the barrel in a vice. Take your bore brush and chuck it into a power drill. Wrap some steel wool around the brush, put some gun oil into the chamber and go nuts with the drill. You can get it to a near-mirror finish and it should cycle anything you feed it after that.

You may find certain brands of shells your 870 doesn't like, though. For mine, it's Win and Estate. What were you using?

EDIT: What C6NY said.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Mine was jerky when I bought it new. Not smooth at all. I ran a lot of cycles with A Zoom practice rounds. I also took it apart and smoothed out any rough moving parts. Lots of oil and grease too. Now it cycles with one hand just like in the movies.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
And I was using Remington gun club target loads to shoot trap and skeet yesterday
Wow, surprising. Never had an issue with Remington shells - or Fiocchi, Rio, or Federal. Give the chamber polishing a shot. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Definitely switch to Estate or Federal, etc. My Mossberg 500 jammed and I broke one of the extractors getting a Winchester shell out. And forget Hornady SST slugs !!! They would not cycle at all. The winchester jamming occurred when new, the Hornady SSTs after a few hundred rounds. Since I now use my 500 only for deer, I sold the Hornady and only shoot Remington Copper Solids without incident. Some firearms simply seem to prefer one ammo brand over another, sad but true.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
Over the next week I'll be picking up some steel wool and polishing it as per some of the videos I watched, I'll be testing it out at our range day!
Before going crazy polishing the chamber you might want to give it a good scrub. Get some ChoreBoy copper pads (not copper plated steel) pull a bunch of threads off and wrap around a bore mop. Chuck that into a drill, put a good amount of Hoppes on it and scrub the chamber.

However, if you still insist on polishing the chamber, get a wood dowel and stick that into the bore so that it's past the forcing cone and then polish the chamber. You don't want to polish the forcing cone...

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Before going crazy polishing the chamber you might want to give it a good scrub. Get some ChoreBoy copper pads (not copper plated steel) pull a bunch of threads off and wrap around a bore mop. Chuck that into a drill, put a good amount of Hoppes on it and scrub the chamber.

However, if you still insist on polishing the chamber, get a wood dowel and stick that into the bore so that it's past the forcing cone and then polish the chamber. You don't want to polish the forcing cone...
I love it when you talk dirty

Could your ejector spring be out of whack? Sometimes they get jammed up if you aren't careful (not saying you weren't) when reassembling them. Doesn't take much to have them hang up and distort. My friend had this problem on his 870, changed out the spring and problem solved. Kind of a pain to fix but doable. Or just send it back to Remington:

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good tip, I'll be taking a ride to get the rest of the stuff this week to do it. I was thinking about how I was going to make sure I don't polish too far or too much the dowel is a good idea!

And Joey, the shotgun is brand spankkn new, the rounds would eject when I was able to cycle the action, could deff tell it was the round stuck in the chamber. Thought it was the extractor not making a good grab but after reading the replies I felt the chamber and felt it was a little rough and likely the issue

But that ejector is known to be an issue. I already archived that video for future reference lol

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You still haven't told us the brand of ammo. lol I had the exact same issue with an 870 that I bought for my son. We were using Winchester bulk. The first time out it wouldnt cycle after 3 or 4 shots. Asked the same question here and even called Remington. It was the Winchester shells. I have other 12ga shotguns that cycle them with no issues. Switched to Federals and never had another issue. Didn't have to touch the gun.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You still haven't told us the brand of ammo. lol I had the exact same issue with an 870 that I bought for my son. We were using Winchester bulk. The first time out it wouldnt cycle after 3 or 4 shots. Asked the same question here and even called Remington. It was the Winchester shells. I have other 12ga shotguns that cycle them with no issues. Switched to Federals and never had another issue. Didn't have to touch the gun.
I was using Remington gun club target loads as I stated in like the 5th post of the thread lol
It would be embarrassing for them to admit that Remington wouldn't not work in the Remington

I've got quite a bit of this stuff, when I'm done with it I'll explore other options, until then I'll polish the chamber and keeps breaking Clays

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good morning, took the time out last week to follow the instructions and give it a whirl before this weekends meet up that I wasn't able to attend -___- (not bitter about it at all....jk)

Chamber is near mirror finish, looks good can't wait to take it out and give it a go!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just sent mine out..

My 870 would only cycle if I was pointing it straight down range. Took it trap shooting, pointed it up and WTF it would not close.
Seems if I point it up about 20 degrees, (pull back or point it up already open), the locking bolt stud would catch on something at the rear top of the receiver and it would be impossible to close the action.

Dropped it off at south shore.. waiting..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.