Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Nimble Navigator
887 Posts
Ive read that its perfectly legal to do this. Once its complete you bring it to the pistol bureau and they record it on your license. Now transferring that pistol to another person... phew that I'd LOVE to hear an experience about.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
From what i understand it is technically possibly but feasibly impossible. A member looked into it and was told there is no way to do it, as they will not put an 80% in your license as it is not a firearm, and upon you completing it you are now in possession of an unlicensed handgun. Next time i am at ncplb i plan on discussing it.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
I don't think you can transfer or sell ANY firearm you make yourself.
Untrue. I have posted about this time and again with documentation from the atf to back it up. Ill sum it up real quick.

A regular joe, non ffl holder, can not complete an 80% lower, or manufacture a firearm, and sell it for a profit.

This means a regular joe can complete an 80% lower for himself, and then next month sell it for what he paid.
Regular joe can also build a firearm and give it to someone as a gift, like if his brother is getting married or what have you. The atf recommends adding a serial number, city and state of manufacture, and name of the person who manufactured it, but it is not required. As long as it is not a profit generating set up, and the given firearm is otherwise legal according to federal, state and local laws, it is good to go.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
Untrue. I have posted about this time and again with documentation from the atf to back it up. Ill sum it up real quick.

A regular joe, non ffl holder, can not complete an 80% lower, or manufacture a firearm, and sell it for a profit.

This means a regular joe can complete an 80% lower for himself, and then next month sell it for what he paid.
Regular joe can also build a firearm and give it to someone as a gift, like if his brother is getting married or what have you. The atf recommends adding a serial number, city and state of manufacture, and name of the person who manufactured it, but it is not required. As long as it is not a profit generating set up, and the given firearm is otherwise legal according to federal, state and local laws, it is good to go.
That's interesting. So, theoretically, I or any of us can become non-profit manufacturers of firearms. Doing the Lord's work, if you will.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
before you go any further about licencing or anything. ask yourself if you have the proper tools, equipment and most importantly the skill to do it as well.

i bought a AR15 polmer 80% lower back when lowers were hard to find. not only did i mess up a lot, but for $20-30 more, i could have had a complete one

·
Registered
3,535 Posts

I'm glad ATF says that but unfortunately New York law supersedes Federal law in this area if it is more restrictive. In other words, if the Feds say it's OK, it's still not OK unless New York says so.

Unfortunately there is no clear law or established practice on this in New York. Different licensing authorities have different views. If your licensing authority permits it, more power to you.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
I'm glad ATF says that but unfortunately New York law supersedes Federal law in this area if it is more restrictive. In other words, if the Feds say it's OK, it's still not OK unless New York says so.

Unfortunately there is no clear law or established practice on this in New York. Different licensing authorities have different views. If your licensing authority permits it, more power to you.
Like i said, gotta follow fed state and local laws. Im in Nassau, and from what i have heard from fellow nassaunians (?) who have asked pistol licensing you cant do an 80% handgun yourself, and they also would require it to be serialized to atf specs. As far as 80% and other non handgun builds, follow the law and make sure it is unsafe compliant and transferred at an ffl and you are good to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.