Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
-1 Arisaka Type 99
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a box of old Norma 7.7 Jap for $10. I couldn't say no because of the price, but I'm a little nervous about shooting because of the age of the ammo. The guy that sold it to me said it's about 40 years old. The lead tips are corroded, but still in one piece. Since it's just the tip, I think it's safe to fire, but I wanted to get more opinions before I put them in my rifle. (See attached pics)

Thanks again to 2ndAmendmentReason for the sale! http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/m-1333573527.10717/s-13/

·
-1 Arisaka Type 99
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cas said:
I have (had) some Norma 7.7 of the same vintage that shot just fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

(though I wonder why you have two different bullet types in one box?)
I was wondering the same thing. That's why I included both in the pics. As far as I can tell, the rounder ones are classic Norma, but most in the box are the pointier types. (God help me, I don't know the right terms)

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
Mmmm…. spitzer and round nose soft point? The round nose soft points were very common and popular back then. They're a great shape/design, but somewhere along the line people started to do less hunting before they pulled the trigger and started feeling the need to shoot farther and farther away. ;)

I have/had Norma ammo of that vintage with both those type bullets, the 7.7's looked like your top photo.

·
-1 Arisaka Type 99
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cas said:
Mmmm…. spitzer and round nose soft point? The round nose soft points were very common and popular back then. They're a great shape/design, but somewhere along the line people started to do less hunting before they pulled the trigger and started feeling the need to shoot farther and farther away. ;)

I have/had Norma ammo of that vintage with both those type bullets, the 7.7's looked like your top photo.
Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to clean the tips up a little bit so I don't have too much crud going through my barrel. :)

·
-1 Arisaka Type 99
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2ndAmendmentReason said:
Happy shooting! Def post up some pics of when you go shoot it!
I actually shot it already and it was awesome.

Thanks again for the sale. :)

-Nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.