Long Island Shooters Forum banner

7.62x39 build?

Tags
762x39 build
2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  vmtcmt 
#1 ·
I saw that PSA had a good deal on a 7.62x39 upper, sparked my interest but I know nothing about this type of build. so here are some questions

1) what type of lower does it use?
2)what type of magazine?
3) is it even worth it?

I have built many a AR and have no problem with it, just wondering if it is worth the trouble and I am looking for another winter project

#3 ·
For whatever it's worth, I had intended to go that route too but went with 300aac instead. 7.62 is a tapered cartridge which causes feeding issues in the ar lower and a bunch of special parts which get pricy. . 300aac has damn near the same ballistics but uses the same bolt, mag, lower and upper as .223 which keeps the build more affordable and opens up more options.
Once 300aac was introduced I really can't see a good reason to go with 7.62x39 except ammo costs and in the end, there's better calibers than both.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have one. Not a PSA build, but my own. The Mag troubles are real, but I have found that ASC 30 rounders are fantastic. Feed without an issue. I know you can't have those. I can't speak for ASC 10 round mags, I don't own any. I can say I had to modify my C Products and Stoner 10 round mags to make them functional.

And a 16" pencil barreled 7.62x39 AR kicks like a friggin mule...

I was regretting my caliber decision until I found the right mags...now I'm very happy. This thing eats surplus ammo like no ones business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.