Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I am new to the AR platform and in my exuberance at DSI while picking up my new AR-15 I also purchased a can of 5.56 ammo - American Eagle XM855 FMJ 5.56 Metal Can w/Stripper Clips 420/Rnd. Now I plan on making my first trip to MF and am wondering whether this ammo is prohibited. If so, what type of ammo CAN I shoot there? Thanks. Gerry

·
Uh-oh...
12,517 Posts
I am new to the AR platform and in my exuberance at DSI while picking up my new AR-15 I also purchased a can of 5.56 ammo - American Eagle XM855 FMJ 5.56 Metal Can w/Stripper Clips 420/Rnd. Now I plan on making my first trip to MF and am wondering whether this ammo is prohibited. If so, what type of ammo CAN I shoot there? Thanks. Gerry
No incidiary, no tracers, or armor piercing. other than that, GTG.

XM855 is green tip steel core penetrator ammo, and NG.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Thanks vmtcmt, but what I am asking is whether the ammo I bought is go or no-go. It is FMJ ammo but I recall something about "green tipped" ammo being no-go at MF and the ammo I bought is green tipped.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Just called MF and the lady said "you can shoot any type of ammo but only slugs from a shotgun". I asked if I could shoot "green tips" from an AR-15 and that was her response. Now I am totally confused.
Previously only soft point or hollow point rifle rounds wee allowed, now you can use FMJ but still no AP or incendiary ammo.

What you have "green tip" is no good. It will pierce the backstop and supports and causes everything to wear out quicker.

Hopefully the good folks at DSI will allow you to exchange (assuming everything is still packed up)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.