Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the prowl for another range, public or private club, that has 400yd (or more) of shooting capability. I don't care if it is in NY or out of state, but closer is better. I currently shoot in Saugerties, NY but was hoping to find a place closer. L.I. would be GREAT but I assume there isn't such a place.

Any suggestions

· Registered
2,628 Posts
200 is all we got here on the Island, public or private. Sometimes Calverton has moved the benches into the parking lot for 300 yards. I'll be monitoring this thread. I looked (although somewhat half-assedly) a few years ago and the closest I got was PA. Can't remember where. I think it was a 1000 yarder.

· Premium Member
480 Posts
I'm on the prowl for another range, public or private club, that has 400yd (or more) of shooting capability. I don't care if it is in NY or out of state, but closer is better. I currently shoot in Saugerties, NY but was hoping to find a place closer. L.I. would be GREAT but I assume there isn't such a place.

Any suggestions
Hi Charlie,
Check out Forbes Rifle and Pistol Club in Colonie, NY. They have a web site. They have across the course High Power matches. 200,300, and 600 yards. The range goes out to 1000 yards for Long Range shooting and Palma matches. You must either hold an NRA HP Classification or have participated in the Small Arms Firing School (SAFS) This years SAFS will be held at Pecorino River Sportsman’s Club April 22 and 23.
I will be posting the information and registration form early in February
Good luck and good shooting,

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys. I'm primarily interested in a facility where I can shoot at my leisure, rather than compete. I prefer a private club where I can shoot 365 days a year. My current club is set up for rifle shooting at all distances up to 400yds. Unfortunately, they recently pushed the start time from 8am to 9am. That presents a problem for me because I've got to deal with heavier traffic on my return to LI. I was shooting from 8am-11am and heading south just before the traffic build. I would also like to shoot a bit farther. We have the land but it's hilly behind the 400yd line and it's not cost effective to push back father.

I have also considered Conn and NJ but they don't seem to have what I'm looking for at a reasonable driving distance.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

· Premium Member
480 Posts
Actually, you can shoot at your leisure there. I was pointing out that they also have organized competition
It used to be that the 1000 yard line was open each Thursday. As a member, you can go there and shoot the other distances at you leisure. You may want to contact them for details as I am retired from competition and have not shot there in a number of years. Not too far from L.I. Just outside of Albany

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, you can shoot at your leisure there. I was pointing out that they also have organized competition
It used to be that the 1000 yard line was open each Thursday. As a member, you can go there and shoot the other distances at you leisure. You may want to contact them for details as I am retired from competition and have not shot there in a number of years. Not too far from L.I. Just outside of Albany
I appreciate the information, but Albany is too far of a run for a weekly activity. My current club is in Saugerties, NY and that's about as far as I'd like to go. I was a member of the Mainville PA club (off route 80) for many years but the trip home, traveling over the GW bridge and then the Cross BX Expy, was just too taxing. I was very lucky to have found the Saugerties club, which is much easier and faster to commute to.

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've started shooting handgun at the NC Rifle & Pistol range again. That place is the exact same archaic dump that it was when I started shooting there in 1978. Other than an update exhaust system, It doesn't look like they put 10 cents into that place in decades. How pathetic of all of our County Supervisors. Looks like all of their recreation money went into golf courses.

· Registered
2,694 Posts
I've started shooting handgun at the NC Rifle & Pistol range again. That place is the exact same archaic dump that it was when I started shooting there in 1978. Other than an update exhaust system, It doesn't look like they put 10 cents into that place in decades. How pathetic of all of our County Supervisors. Looks like all of their recreation money went into golf courses.
I started shooting there about 1980. Its funny, I was just telling my nephew exactly what you said. Still a dump after all these years. Sad

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tommy Gun Warehouse, in Greeley PA, has 600yds. Here is a link: Tommy Gun Warehouse – gun store

They have an indoor range in Honesdale and their outdoor range at the Warehouse. Click the link for the range hours/days of operation.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like an interesting facility. Unfortunately, I could not find a description of the outdoor range. However, it did state that the outdoor range is only open Fri-Sat-Sun. Rules say that nothing bigger than 30-06 is allowed but it didn't state indoors or outdoors. That part didn't make sense to me. They also do not have memberships (for outdoor range) and charge $30 per hour. None of these conditions would work for me.

I appreciate the info anyway and may stop by their shop when I have some downtime.

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sheepdog Warrior in catskill NY has many long range area up to 1000 yds I believe.Right by the old Catskill Game Farm.
The Sheepdog facility is right next to my current club, the Landowner & Sportsman Club, IIRC the Sheepdog charges by the hour. It is primarily a training & match facility. If they had memberships for informal shooting that would have been great. I believe that it is built on the old Catskill Game Farm.

· Registered
942 Posts
Back when I was involved with the Appleseed events, they would co-ordinate longer range KD events upstate and PA and such. At the time it was invitation only extended to the instructors of the LI group. Could check out whats going on there.

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back when I was involved with the Appleseed events, they would co-ordinate longer range KD events upstate and PA and such. At the time it was invitation only extended to the instructors of the LI group. Could check out whats going on there.
I'm not familiar with Appleseed Events. A quick internet search wasn't productive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts