Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just for kicks and giggles I am interested in seeing all of your thoughts on which .308 bolt action you would prefer to have (and why). I am looking for low-cost, as in less than $5-600, not a kitted out uber-rifle.

Cheers!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have an Axis .308 and it's great, although I am not really using it to its potential (stuck at MF 30yds :( ). I  hope to go to Brookhaven this weekend and try out the longer ranges, but my Axis is great and was only $450 or so.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a Howa 1500 and it is incredibly accurate for the price.  I'm shooting sub-moa groups at 100 yards and the rifle with the laminate stock was just over 600.00 OTD.  Very happy with it.

·
OathKeeper/NRA Life Member/Instructor/Appleseed Sh
1,690 Posts
Ruger gunsite scout, $616 with NRA Instructor discount. with 10rnd box magazine and real useable sights... Also comes with rail and scope rings. A true bargain IMHO. BTW the flash suppressor is legal in this liberal sinkhole because it's not semi-auto.

Biggest downside is spare Magazines are ridiculously expensive.

CH

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
remington.  remington.  remington.   8)

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
I'd bet you could find a Savage 16 FXP3 for about 600.

That's a stainless action and Barrel, Synthetic Stock, Internal Mag and the Accutrigger. Bonus- it comes with a decent scope.

A detachable Mag on a Bolt action weapon is like a spoiler on a jeep. It just doesn't belong there. Nor does a flash hider.

The example I fired gave me 3/4 MOA at 100yards easily with 168gr Fed Gold ammo, prone with sling. I believe handloads and some more time with the rifle would get that down to 1/2 moa.

·
1,690 Posts
"A detachable Mag on a Bolt action weapon is like a spoiler on a jeep. It just doesn't belong there. Nor does a flash hider."

That is a valid OPINION...

Probably not a common use but firing timed stages with required magazine change is impossible without a magazine... 3 MOA, 200yds sling supported sitting position, Iron sights...

CH

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
CharlieHotel said:
"A detachable Mag on a Bolt action weapon is like a spoiler on a jeep. It just doesn't belong there. Nor does a flash hider."

That is a valid OPINION...

Probably not a common use but firing timed stages with required magazine change is impossible without a magazine... 3 MOA, 200yds sling supported sitting position, Iron sights...

CH
It IS a common use... Service Rifle competition, Match rifle division.... Think Tubbs 2000.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mad Russian said:
MOA MOA MOA! Why is everything about MOA? I'm shooting for MOM: Minute Of Man!
Shouldn't that be "Midsection of Man"? ;)

·
1,690 Posts
Habsfan said:
Shouldn't that be "Midsection of Man"? ;)
4MOA at 500yds, roughly the width of an average size mans shoulders... HMMM 1 Mil=4MOA I think we're on to something here...

8)CH

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would get either a Remington or Savage.  I like Remington's but the Savage models with the accu trigger and stock are a better buy from the factory then the Remington's 700 models.  

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
CharlieHotel said:
4MOA at 500yds, roughly the width of an average size mans shoulders... HMMM 1 Mil=4MOA I think we're on to something here...

8)CH
the distance b/w two mildots is 3.6 moa....3.6 moa is 18 inchs(about) at 500 yards which is the average width of a human chest from shoulder to shoulder.

the mil radian (1 mildot) covers 1 yard at 1000 yards and 1 meter at 1000 meters.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts

·
1,690 Posts
BIGROB said:
the distance b/w two mildots is 3.6 moa....3.6 moa is 18 inchs(about) at 500 yards which is the average width of a human chest from shoulder to shoulder.

the mil radian (1 mildot) covers 1 yard at 1000 yards and 1 meter at 1000 meters.
:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a Remington 700 SPS in 308 with a Leupold scope. Great gun, I can hit a quarter at 200 yds in perfect conditions. My son wanted a bolt action gun that shoots the same. Since he was under 18 and didnt have a lot of money he looked around and found a Mossberg ATR at Campsite. I bought him the same scope and we sighted in the rifle. Let me tell you for under $450 and the same conditions they shot the same. Some may argue but at my range at my house on the same bench you would not be able to pick witch bullet came from where. Good luck in your search but the Mossberg worked great.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Savage edge at wal mart was under $400 last time I saw it. Not too shabby for a good bolt .308.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.