Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have thrown my self full fledged into this sport.  I gain more knowledge here on a daily basis and fill my time between range trips researching guns and accessories.  That being said I have decided I want a very accurate bolt gun for target shooting but, If I go hunting with my friends once or twice want it to be useful on deer.  I think I have decided that I like the .308 cartridge, and while not ideal for deer it is by far the most affordable to shoot plus my wife that swore to me she would never like a gun said after her first range trip she wants something a little stronger then her .22 and with a scope but, is only willing to go once a month or so. Long story short I think .308 is about right for what i need (correct me if I am wrong).  I need some advice the gun that I think I really want is the AR-30, followed by the Savage 12bvss.  Do you think it is worth the price difference aside from the fact that the AR-30 looks far cooler?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
The AR-30 weighs over 12 lbs. I don't think I would want to lug that around while hunting.

Have you considered .243?

I'm kind of interested in the Savage 10FP-SR for a .308 bolt gun.

·
Iconoclast
537 Posts
Check out the Ruger Gunsite Scout. It's an accurate rifle with some panache; It looks semi-tacticool if looks are what it's about for you.
Not my particular cup of Chai, but I've heard many good things about it from those who've bought them. I've fired one or two and they're capable of MOA accuracy if you've a steady hand.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
I'd go for functionality before before "cool." I'd look for practicality before dropping 2k+ on a gun. The AR-30's minimalist skeleton stock, hard edges, 26" barrel and the weight as Pat mentioned above strikes me as no fun to lug about slung. You're generally not taking a shot in NYS over 100 yards. Buy a nice bolt gun(I dropped a 1100 on a Rem 700 5R) for the paper. Get a scoped 30-30 for the venison harvesting.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
As long as we're talking opinions here, here's mine.
I too, like the .308. It's what I shoot the most of.
I have a number of rifles chambered for the round, but as for pure enjoyment, give me my bolt action Remy.
Mind you, tactical or tacti-cool, means nothing to me so that might be a game changer for your purchase.

·
Mr. ¼ MOA
3,104 Posts
I own an AR-30. Super solid, super heavy to carry around.
Exceptional in every way. I call it my "No Excuses" firearm
because it never disappoints me. But for hunting...? It is
too much weight and the chassis was built for durability in
long range acquisition for military or shooting trips. You
can read more about it here: Armalite AR-30

untactical made a great suggestion with the Ruger Gunsite Scout.

Definitely a cool looking rifle with Ruger quality, however I
have no experience on it's accuracy or reliability... but I have
100% confidence in Ruger products. 10 round magazine,
short 16.5" barrel and only 7lbs makes it a good consideration.

Other models that come to mind (thinking of moderate costs
and practicality for both hunting & target use.)
:

Remington 700 SPS Tactical | 20" Barrel | 7.5lbs | 1:12" Twist
I like it because it's short, comes in nice hogue stocks, proven
accuracy from a short stiff barrel and only 7.5lbs.

Remington 700 VTR
| 22" Barrel | 7.5lbs | 1:12" Twist
I like it because it's unique triangular barrel & integrated muzzle
which reduces weight, enhances rigidity for accuracy, better heat
dissipation from larger area space & muzzle ports prevents rise.

Remington 700 VTR A-TACS | 22" Barrel | 1:12" Twist
Same think as 700 VTR, but comes with digital camo design.
Might be hard to find.

Remington 700 LTR Police | 20" Barrel | 7.5lbs | 1:10" Twist (extreme accuracy)
One of my favorites. Read more about it here: 700 LTR Tactical

For me, if I'm hunting for game that only requires a .308, I don't
like swinging anything with a 24" - 26" barrel. Although a 22" barrel
is not my cup of tea for a 1:12" twist ('Cause I'm an accuracy freak. :) ),
it's easier for mobility in hunting. That's why I choose shorter rifles
BUT with better barrels - like a bull profile SPS or VTR Special design.

There are many other .308 sportier type rifles costing less or
about the same which are great to hunt with like Savage, Marlin,
Stevens, Browning, CZ and even other Remingtons... but not
your best choices when you want to test your target skills too.

There are many more expensive .308 models like Blaser, Sako,
Kimber, Nosler and some Weatherbys... fine as these might be
but probably not the class of weapon your looking for.

If you don't mind swinging a 26" long rifle barrel... than your idea
for the Savage BVSS is a nice choice... however for the same thing
look into the Savage VLP DBM as well, slightly different stock with
palm swell BUT also with a detachable magazine.

Just my opinions... and I hope any of this makes sense...
I need some coffee right about now. :)

Peace,
GH-07

·
In my Happy Place
3,769 Posts
Ghost Hunter said:
untactical made a great suggestion with the Ruger Gunsite Scout.

Definitely a cool looking rifle with Ruger quality, however I
have no experience on it's accuracy or reliability... but I have
100% confidence in Ruger products. 10 round magazine,
short 16.5" barrel and only 7lbs makes it a good consideration.

GH-07
This is my best with my Gunsite Scout, 4 touching with one flyer, 100 yds w/match 168 gr match hollow points. Handy rifle, shoulders nicely. 5 round magazines available also.

Reactions: mamunami

·
Registered
241 Posts
http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF008&gid=FNG005

The TSR is 9.6 pounds in 24". The 20" (8.6lbs?) will probably shoot as well but I don't have one so I don't know for sure. The 24" has been beyond accurate. At around the same price as the Ruger, and less than the ar, I would take the FN any day if you will be doing minimal hunting. Next in line for me would be the 700 in either vtr, or sps tactical version. Good luck.

·
Winter is coming
3,569 Posts
I have a Scout.
I removed the front rail and set it up with a traditional scope. A 3x9 Trijicon.
It isn't the most accurate of bolt guns by far, but it's fun to shoot, and very nice to carry in the woods.
When you find the right load for it, it can be pretty tight, don't know if I'd get one for primary use as a bench gun though.
If your looking for a better caliber for the Mrs to shoot as well, the jump from .22 to .308 isn't the best idea.
In that case, go for an AR in .223. You both can shoot it comfortably, much cheaper on the ammo side, and very accurate.
There are plenty of good if not great deer rifles that can be had fairly cheap for the occasional hunter.

·
Registered
716 Posts
As nice as the AR30 is (its beautiful) for the same money you can build a Remington 700 on a chassis or bedded stock and make modifications to the trigger as well as adding a 20moa base ,bipod,and optics. The nice thing about a 700 is that its extremely versitile andcustomizable. You could switch between a heavy bench stock and the factory hogue based on if you are hunting or target shooting to reduce or increase weight and rigidity.

Ar30 is a pure bench gun...there is no way tocomfortably lug one through the woods and shoulder it quickly.

An AR10 could be a cool option for you if your open to a semi auto as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I getting a new .308 in a few weeks. After a lot of research i decided to get the Ruger American rifle. You can adjust the trigger with a turn of a screw. Its not very expensive(around $400) and it has the best rifling in the industry. Its light and has a true free floating barrel that floats all the way to the receiver. The bolt on the .308 model goes up to a 70 degree angle instead of 90 degrees like most rifles and it has enough clearance so it wont hit the scope. The bolt is thick and heavy duty and has 3 lugs at the end to lock it in place very securely. I would say check out this rifle because it has very nice features that some rifles do not have and very accurate from what a few people have told me.

·
Registered
716 Posts
They make an sps tactical with a threaded barrel and surefire style brake which is very nice...runs about 750 New and is a lot of rifle for the money

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay so  have eliminated any hunting from the future of this gun.  I guess what I am really looking for is a paper puncher.  Weight will not be an issue given it is only going to the range and I will put a bipod on it.  However if I am getting it correctly the remy seems to be the front runner among people here.  The ruger looks cool but ther have to go put in that damn rotary magazine.  I am also concerned about recoil as the wife will probably be shooting it.

·
Mr. ¼ MOA
3,104 Posts
shooter528 said:
Okay so have eliminated any hunting from the future of this gun. I guess what I am really looking for is a paper puncher. Weight will not be an issue given it is only going to the range and I will put a bipod on it. However if I am getting it correctly the remy seems to be the front runner among people here. The ruger looks cool but ther have to go put in that damn rotary magazine. I am also concerned about recoil as the wife will probably be shooting it.
Ok, now if hunting is out of the equation... go ahead and
buy yourself the AR-30 like you wanted. I'll vouch for the
quality and accuracy of this firearm.

As for the wife, she won't feel a drop of recoil with that
clamshell muzzle brake (I call it a parachute), its solid
construction and decent weight. She'll love it so much
that she'll take ownership & you'll have to get your own.

I own the 300 Winchester Mag version, softest shooter
I have next to the Ruger 10/22 VLE Target Bull.

Peace,
GH-07

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
winchester model 70.  go old school.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.