Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ORM-D
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to see what everyones experience has been with .223 bolt guns.  It will be used as a bench shooter/paper puncher.  Right now I'm really liking the Remington 700 SPS tactical.  My question is do any you have any experience with this specific rifle?  Should I buy a cheaper model 700 and restock it instead?  Any other .223 bolt gun suggestions?

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
I like Savage, you get more gun for the money. If its going to be a bench gun seriously consider a single shot rifle. The action will be stronger since there is no cutouts for the magazine. You don't really need a magazine for a target rifle.

·
ORM-D
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which Savage model?

·
Winter is coming
3,569 Posts
I have a 700 in .223, it's an oldie, with a 4x20 Redfield.
Heavy barrel and a Harris bipod.
It was originally set up for varmint hunting.
Very heavy gun, silky smooth action, and ridiculously accurate.
As a bench gun, it would have my vote, but the Savage gets very high marks as well.
You wouldn't go wrong with either one.

·
22,005 Posts
Look at the Savage 12 series. Do some comparison shopping:
Decide what you really want to do with it.
Look at what features the rifle somes with from the factory.
Factor in the cost of wanted/needed upgrades.
Add the cost of accessories.

If you're going to shoot target, but don't load your own ammo then buying a higher end rifle is pointless. Optimum accuracy will only be achieved after you develop a load for your rifle. Commercial ammo is good, but its made with compromises that allow it to work in all commercial chamberings. Those compromises sacrifice accuracy for functionality.
Don't rush out and buy before doing the math.

·
22,005 Posts
Look at the Savage 12 series. Do some comparison shopping:
Decide what you really want to do with it.
Look at what features the rifle comes with from the factory.
Factor in the cost of wanted/needed upgrades.
Add the cost of accessories.

If you're going to shoot target, but don't load your own ammo then buying a higher end rifle is pointless. Optimum accuracy will only be achieved after you develop a load for your rifle. Commercial ammo is good, but its made with compromises that allow it to work in all commercial chamberings. Those compromises sacrifice accuracy for functionality.
Don't rush out and buy before doing the math.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had a rem. 700 sps in .223. I installed a choate free float stock and a single shot follower. It was the most accurate .223 I've shot. It's also a lot cheaper to shoot than my other .308 target rifles. I definetly recommend the 700

·
LIF Official Supporter
2,393 Posts
If you are looking for something more high end I have something you may be interested in

Remington 40XB VS KS in 223 never fired except for factory test fire

27 1/4 in stainless steel bull barrel

Stainless steel reciever and bolt

Kevlar stock

This is the single shot model not the repeater.

Adjutable trigger with safety not the 2 ounce trigger

If you are interested I will take some pics but it is not cheap

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have an sps tactical in 223 that shoots great. Just put a 6-18 Nikon Buckmaster mil dot retical on it. With handloads it consistently shoots .75, as tight as .3. I'm sure that with a better shooter and more load development it would do better. Best groups are with Hornady 75gr BTHP match factory loads, consistently under a half inch. I've loaded 55gr VMAX and 69gr SMK with great results. Hope to shoot at some longer range this summer, I haven't taken it past 200 yet.

I plan on getting a new stock in the coming weeks. Let me know if you have any questions!

PS: Remington has worked well for me but I know Savage make great guns also, just see which one talks to you and buy it!

I'll post pic later if you'd like, can't do it now from my phone.

Ryan

·
ORM-D
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shotgun thanks for the offer thats one sweet stick that is definitely out of my price range.  Ryan thanks for the feedback I'll love to see some pics.  Any reason for the stock change?

·
Iconoclast
537 Posts
Savage Model 12 F/TR, 30" barrel 1:7, weighs about 13 lbs. accu-trigger single shot, does 1/4-1/2 inch groups at 200 yds, probably do better for someone with younger eyes and a steadier hand.
Carries a Leupold VX-III 8.5-25x50 with varmint reticle.
Rifle, scope, bases & bipod total about $2k

No Remington I've ever had was a truly good shooter, from .22-250 through .338 LM.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I had a Howa that was pretty nice, not sure if it can beat Savage in price though.

·
LIF Official Supporter
2,393 Posts
untactical said:
Savage Model 12 F/TR, 30" barrel 1:7, weighs about 13 lbs. accu-trigger single shot, does 1/4-1/2 inch groups at 200 yds, probably do better for someone with younger eyes and a steadier hand.
Carries a Leupold VX-III 8.5-25x50 with varmint reticle.
Rifle, scope, bases & bipod total about $2k

No Remington I've ever had was a truly good shooter, from .22-250 through .338 LM.
I guess you have never shot a 40XB

·
LIF Official Supporter
2,393 Posts
A couple of my 40XB's

22-250 in front
220 swift in back
Both are a tacks worst nightmare
I have a 3 more in 223, 22Rem BR and 6mm Rem..

You can't go wrong with any of them

·
Iconoclast
537 Posts
Shotgun682 said:
A couple of my 40XB's

22-250 in front
220 swift in back
Both are a tacks worst nightmare
I have a 3 more in 223, 22Rem BR and 6mm Rem..

You can't go wrong with any of them
I almost bought one in 6mm Rem a while ago. It wasn't the gun but the caliber that turned me off.
My Coopers in .204 Ruger, .22-250 and .220 Swift also give those tacks insomnia.

·
LIF Official Supporter
2,393 Posts
robb600 said:
Wanted to see what everyones experience has been with .223 bolt guns. It will be used as a bench shooter/paper puncher. Right now I'm really liking the Remington 700 SPS tactical. My question is do any you have any experience with this specific rifle? Should I buy a cheaper model 700 and restock it instead? Any other .223 bolt gun suggestions?
Robb

I have a Rem 700 VS in a HS PSS stock.. Gave alot of Prarie dogs in Wyoming a bad headache

If you want to try it out and see if you like Remingtons just let me know and we can meet up and shoot at Peconic

You can try the Swift and 22-250 if you like also

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.