Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a decent 22 cal off the shelf target gun. I am leaning towards the Savage brand, heavy barrel.
Can anyone tell me if the Mark II BRJ model ($380) with the fluted barrel is worth the $80 premium over the BV model ($300)?
Prices quoted are from Dick's.

Are there other differences in the two models that make the BRJ worth the premium?

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
I don't think fluting is worth the money on a .22. The barrel doesn't get hot. Enough to need the extra surface area for cooling. $80 buys a lot of CCI ammo, or is halfway to a scope, etc...

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
There's little recoil for the scope to deal with, so you don't need a high dollar superscope. Anything adjustable optics (because some day you might want to shoot it further or closer than 50 yards) will do.
Something like this:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-illuminated-a-o-rifle-scopes-6-24x50aoe-rangefinder-green-ring-sefr62450g.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bsa-air-riflescope-3-12x44mm.html

Don't expect them to be as clear at high magnification as the expensive scopes, but for shooting 50/100, they will do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I ordered the Savage Mark II heavy barrel BRJ with the laminated high comb stock from Dicks and I am going to put the Nikon Prostaff 3x9 BDC scope on it.

The higher comb stock just feels better to me. As far as the price goes, there are plenty of other cheaper 22s to buy so this was never an exercise in saving money. I want a high quality target gun and I want to make sure that my shooting results are due to my lack of skill, not inferior equipment. I figure the gun will be in the family for decades to come, so what the heck.

Now, after seeing another thread about breaking in the gun, I want to make sure I get my investment off to a good start. The posts in the other thread suggested cleaning the gun between firing various intervals of rounds. What do the posts mean by cleaning, running a patch through or a full cleaning of the barrel with multiple wet and dry patches? Is breaking in necessary?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.