Long Island Shooters Forum banner
301 - 307 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wonder what questionnaires they're up to these days?
They got my $10, and my questionnaire, right at the beginning of October 2020...still waiting....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
I wonder what questionnaires they're up to these days?
They got my $10, and my questionnaire, right at the beginning of October 2020...still waiting....
Honestly just call and ask, they are very nice in that office never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Honestly just call and ask, they are very nice in that office never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I inquired. I used an email chain I had with them from three months ago.
I give SCPD full credit (again) for their response time to emails. I got an answer in about 6 hours.
Wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it was a fast answer.
I was told they are still working on questionnaires that were submitted in July 2020.

I'm going to write something here. I know it doesn't mean squat, and I can't change the process. I just want to vent a little.
Because I have a hard time when things don't seem to make sense.

I get it. Applications for pistol licenses have increased exponentially over the past few years. I also understand how Covid delayed (continues to delay) everything.
It's never been a fast process in Western Suffolk to begin with (separate topic), but the increased amount of applicants, in combination with a pandemic, are crushing the turn-around times for processing.

Here are a couple of things that don't make sense to me:
  • I was told they were working on July 2020 questionnaires three months ago. They are still working on July?
  • Members of these forums have made posts that don't seem to jive with what I was told. Just for one example, a member recently posted their timeline as; Questionnaire submitted 8/24/20, Interview end of 4/21, License in-hand 6/19/21. That doesn't sync with the answer I got today that they are still working on July questionnaires. (@Organix , just using you as an example, hope you don't mind).
  • I'm skeptical the SCPD Pistol License Bureau is running at full steam (or at least on a "first-in-first-out" type basis as much as is reasonable). I also know that if that is the case, it's not the investigators faults, but comes from above. I wish there was a way to get an accurate and honest description of how much effort and manpower is being used to process.

Vent over. I don't feel any better.
I'll just keep waiting....

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
So I inquired. I used an email chain I had with them from three months ago.
I give SCPD full credit (again) for their response time to emails. I got an answer in about 6 hours.
Wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it was a fast answer.
I was told they are still working on questionnaires that were submitted in July 2020.

I'm going to write something here. I know it doesn't mean squat, and I can't change the process. I just want to vent a little.
Because I have a hard time when things don't seem to make sense.

I get it. Applications for pistol licenses have increased exponentially over the past few years. I also understand how Covid delayed (continues to delay) everything.
It's never been a fast process in Western Suffolk to begin with (separate topic), but the increased amount of applicants, in combination with a pandemic, are crushing the turn-around times for processing.

Here are a couple of things that don't make sense to me:
  • I was told they were working on July 2020 questionnaires three months ago. They are still working on July?
  • Members of these forums have made posts that don't seem to jive with what I was told. Just for one example, a member recently posted their timeline as; Questionnaire submitted 8/24/20, Interview end of 4/21, License in-hand 6/19/21. That doesn't sync with the answer I got today that they are still working on July questionnaires. (@Organix , just using you as an example, hope you don't mind).
  • I'm skeptical the SCPD Pistol License Bureau is running at full steam (or at least on a "first-in-first-out" type basis as much as is reasonable). I also know that if that is the case, it's not the investigators faults, but comes from above. I wish there was a way to get an accurate and honest description of how much effort and manpower is being used to process.

Vent over. I don't feel any better.
I'll just keep waiting....
A few us us worked with the County Legislature to try and increase the budget and we were able to get some pretty good insight into the processes, staffing, etc. there. Unfortunately both from an economics and staffing standpoint the numbers are not good. Keep in mind that new applications are only a portion of what they are responsible for. Also every existing licensee has renewals plus, moves, deaths, and of course all of the add/remove firearm transactions. I will say they work as hard as any other civil service group does. Budget wise they spend about 10x what they take in from fees so asking for more money is straight out asking for more money for non-policing police functions which is an uphill battle. Good news is we did get more staffing a few years ago and did get money for the online application system. Bad news is they are still understaffed. We've been fighting 12+ months for the better part of the past 10 years and even with doubling staffing in that period, it still fall short. Your best bet to help others is to engage with your County Legislator. Advise of them of the situation, encourage them to increase the budget for staffing or to lobby to reduce the requirements of the process. It won't help you but it could help the next guy who applies. Stay engaged with your local politicians on 2A issues and remember their responses when it comes time to vote or contribute money or time to their campaigns.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
It’s true that the staff at the Pistol license section are overwhelmed with many tasks. The county could eliminate inspections of newly purchased handguns and provide purchase documents online. I seriously doubt anything will change unless the County Executive hears from other county police officials about making the agency run more efficiently. Many of the officers working in the office are pro gun and would love to help ease the process. It’s the administration that is always pushing back.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I finally submitted mine in person on July 10th. The guy told me about 11 months, which is better than the 2 years I was told last year when I called up. (Suffolk County)
So I guess they ignore the whole “complete by 6 months” requirement after presentation. Try the same with paying a traffic ticket, and see where that lands you. Not sure if anyone ever challenged it or not. Mine was 5 months start to finish in 2009.

301 - 307 of 307 Posts