Long Island Shooters Forum banner

281 - 300 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
I have a friend in Columbia County New York where he and his wife applied for pistol permits. It took about 12 weeks and I think it cost them $88 each.

When I moved from Merrick to Georgia at the end of 2017, I applied for my Georgia Weapons license on a Friday morning at about 9:30am, it was approved by a probate judge that afternoon and picked it up on the following Monday. Total cost for 5 years was $74.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And here in NY, we are "congratulating" one another for what takes a 15 min NICS check in a free state, and we're waiting up to 2 years, something is wrong. I'm assuming if the SCOTUS case does actually turn out favorable for us, they will convert us to Premise at the next renewal, and require a "Re Apply" if we want the full carry option, under the excuse of the application process is different for that, so a new application is required, in the counties where the Sportsman restriction is placed. You heard it first here kids, I would not put it past them. I am NH bound as soon as time permits.

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
And here in NY, we are "congratulating" one another for what takes a 15 min NICS check in a free state, and we're waiting up to 2 years, something is wrong. I'm assuming if the SCOTUS case does actually turn out favorable for us, they will convert us to Premise at the next renewal, and require a "Re Apply" if we want the full carry option, under the excuse of the application process is different for that, so a new application is required, in the counties where the Sportsman restriction is placed. You heard it first here kids, I would not put it past them. I am NH bound as soon as time permits.
If the SCOTUS rules in our favor. You can expect a new application from each county that will make it necessary for every applicant to pass a Live Fire course.

·
Registered
27 Posts
SCPD received my questionnaire (and $10 money order) on 10/2/20.

I have only had one contact with them since then. I emailed them 3/4/21 to ask for a general status update. I was told " It will be a very long time before we get to yours, but you will be contacted by phone when your application is assigned to an investigator and they are ready to schedule you."

Last update I saw in this thread is below. Looks like a month ago, they were up to questionnaires submitted June 2020:

My friend submitted his paperwork on June 7 and got his call for his interview last night it is on may 22

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sent in my sportsman application to SCPD November 7th. 2020 together with a $10 check.

They cash the check November 19th. 2020 and I still haven't heard a word about interview or anything :shout
SCPD received my questionnaire (and $10 money order) on 10/2/20.

I have only had one contact with them since then. I emailed them 3/4/21 to ask for a general status update. I was told " It will be a very long time before we get to yours, but you will be contacted by phone when your application is assigned to an investigator and they are ready to schedule you."

Last update I saw in this thread is below. Looks like a month ago, they were up to questionnaires submitted June 2020:
I submitted my questionnaire 1/7/21 and called the last week of May 2021 for an update. They told me, at the time, that they were going through July 2020 applications and I should expect delays as they are going through thousands a month (I asked and she said prior to Covid it was a couple hundred a month). She said I can expect 6 more months until I get a call for my interview. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Sent in my sportsman application to SCPD November 7th. 2020 together with a $10 check.
They cash the check November 19th. 2020 and I still haven't heard a word about interview or anything :shout
Wow. That is complete Horse Shit. 7 Months and nothing? Wrong, wrong, wrong. Absolutely no reason for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I submitted my questionnaire 1/7/21 and called the last week of May 2021 for an update. They told me, at the time, that they were going through July 2020 applications and I should expect delays as they are going through thousands a month (I asked and she said prior to Covid it was a couple hundred a month). She said I can expect 6 more months until I get a call for my interview. Hope this helps...
Wow, so I guess I can expect another 2-3-4 months before I hear anything :-(

·
Registered
7 Posts

BTW, I'm living in the Patchogue area right now, but we are moving to Manorville hopefully next month (we just bought a house in Manorville) Do I have to do anything regarding my application? Or do I just tell them that I moved when I finally get my interview?

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
BTW, I'm living in the Patchogue area right now, but we are moving to Manorville hopefully next month (we just bought a house in Manorville) Do I have to do anything regarding my application? Or do I just tell them that I moved when I finally get my interview?

Thanks!
Just tell them in the interview they go over all of that there. They ask you if everything is right and if anything changed and to initial near your answers.

Welcome to Manorville. Only thing sucks is your moving further away from the cosy indoor ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
There working on July/august applications now. A family member just had his interview last week and he was July. Check cashed in august.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just tell them in the interview they go over all of that there. They ask you if everything is right and if anything changed and to initial near your answers.

Welcome to Manorville. Only thing sucks is your moving further away from the cosy indoor ranges.

Awesome. Thank you.

And yes, looking forward to be moving to Manorville.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think the important question is what to do if all your references that got all their stuff notarized die or move out of state before the 2 years it takes for them to finish the application process.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My timeline:

Submitted Questionnaire: 8/24/2020
Interview and character affidavits submission, at end of April 2021
Permit in hand 6/19/2021

Once I stopped thinking about the permit, things seemed to move lot quicker. So for all of you that are still waiting, hang in there, it will come!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My timeline:

Submitted Questionnaire: 8/24/2020
Interview and character affidavits submission, at end of April 2021
Permit in hand 6/19/2021

Once I stopped thinking about the permit, things seemed to move lot quicker. So for all of you that are still waiting, hang in there, it will come!
Congrats!
So what exactly happens at the interview? What can I expect?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congrats!
So what exactly happens at the interview? What can I expect?

Thanks!
In my case, my investigator just had me sign some forms, got fingerprinted, gave me the character affidavits ( I already had them ready to go) and the application to be signed by my references. I was expecting to be questioned, so when that did not happen, I asked my investigator if they had any questions for me, the answer was "no, you already explained eveything". But I did go the extra mile and gave them my driving abstract and explained some of the tickets i got a little over 5 years ago on a separate from. All in all, it was a very pleasant experience, everyone was very friendly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my case, my investigator just had me sign some forms, got fingerprinted, gave me the character affidavits ( I already had them ready to go) and the application to be signed by my references. I was expecting to be questioned, so when that did not happen, I asked my investigator if they had any questions for me, the answer was "no, you already explained eveything". But I did go the extra mile and gave them my driving abstract and explained some of the tickets i got a little over 5 years ago on a separate from. All in all, it was a very pleasant experience, everyone was very friendly.
Great, thank you. I didn't really know what to expect.
I found the online form for the character affidavits, so maybe I'll do the same, have them filled out for when I go to my interview (if ever 😳)
Do you need all 4 character reference that you put on your application? My problem is that one of mine past away from Covid back in January.

Thanks again.

281 - 300 of 300 Posts