Long Island Shooters Forum banner

241 - 260 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I emailed SCPD Pistol License Bureau, and as politely as I could, asked if they could describe their operational status, or give any type of idea of what applicants can expect in our current times.

First the positive: I got a response back from SCPD PLB in just an hour and ten minutes, so I'll give them full kudos for that very fast response. I also believe I was given the best answer that the person writing the email could give me. Not a good answer mind you, but still the best they could give. It was considerate, not rude or condescending at all. I got the vibe that they were acknowledging that the current situation sucks, but the PLB is directed from above about what they can and cannot do, and they only have so many bodies doing the work. Again, I get the sense the response came from a real worker, not an administrator or politician.

Now the rest: From their email response, while they did not give me a specific date, it sounds like they were at the point of processing questionnaires they had received in July 2020, when they were advised to stop scheduling any more interviews. In other words, if you submitted your questionnaire at some point in late July or after, your process is on hold until they are told they can start scheduling interviews again. From this thread, it sounds like at least some of the interviews, (for those who submitted their questionnaires July and earlier), did happen between then and now, but no new interviews have been scheduled for anyone who submitted their questionnaire August 2020 or later.

Here's my short question: Did anyone here submit their questionnaire August 2020 or later and have an interview (or any other contact with SCPD PLB) yet?

I submitted my Questionnaire 10/2/20, so I guess I'll be waiting for a very long time yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, I emailed SCPD Pistol License Bureau, and as politely as I could, asked if they could describe their operational status, or give any type of idea of what applicants can expect in our current times.

First the positive: I got a response back from SCPD PLB in just an hour and ten minutes, so I'll give them full kudos for that very fast response. I also believe I was given the best answer that the person writing the email could give me. Not a good answer mind you, but still the best they could give. It was considerate, not rude or condescending at all. I got the vibe that they were acknowledging that the current situation sucks, but the PLB is directed from above about what they can and cannot do, and they only have so many bodies doing the work. Again, I get the sense the response came from a real worker, not an administrator or politician.

Now the rest: From their email response, while they did not give me a specific date, it sounds like they were at the point of processing questionnaires they had received in July 2020, when they were advised to stop scheduling any more interviews. In other words, if you submitted your questionnaire at some point in late July or after, your process is on hold until they are told they can start scheduling interviews again. From this thread, it sounds like at least some of the interviews, (for those who submitted their questionnaires July and earlier), did happen between then and now, but no new interviews have been scheduled for anyone who submitted their questionnaire August 2020 or later.

Here's my short question: Did anyone here submit their questionnaire August 2020 or later and have an interview (or any other contact with SCPD PLB) yet?
Thank you for your feedback. That is the same answer that I got when I called, I was always polite with them but never could get a clear answer who this mysterious person is that I making these calls. I do not see anything on the NY website that government offices need to remain closed. I truly believe, but hope that I am wrong, that this is just an excuse by someone high up to slow down the process and indirectly deny licenses.. I submitted mine in August. I understand things take time, but the fact that Suffolk uses a questionnaire instead of the official NYS application is clearly an attempt to bypass the 6 month law. All I am saying is that we need to hold them accountable, and should use any legal path to do so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. That is the same answer that I got when I called, I was always polite with them but never could get a clear answer who this mysterious person is that I making these calls. I do not see anything on the NY website that government offices need to remain closed. I truly believe, but hope that I am wrong, that this is just an excuse by someone high up to slow down the process and indirectly deny licenses.. I submitted mine in August. I understand things take time, but the fact that Suffolk uses a questionnaire instead of the official NYS application is clearly an attempt to bypass the 6 month law. All I am saying is that we need to hold them accountable, and should use any legal path to do so.
Of course, I don't disagree with you, and I think everyone knows that SCPD somehow is allowed to use a questionnaire (and a resulting indefinite amount of time) to delay accepting the actual NY State PPB-3 Pistol License Application, and as a consequence, gets around being held to the 6 month rule you referred to. That condition existed long before this pandemic.

According to the SCPD Organization Chart (that you can link to here: https://suffolkpd.org/InformationandPolicies.aspx ), the Pistol Licensing Bureau reports directly to the Office of the Police Commissioner.

The Police Commissioner is selected by the Suffolk County Executive (currently Steve Bellone).

According to NY State, we're in Phase 4, and I'd interpret that as meaning that the SCPD PLB should be able to operate. If they chose to. Which they apparently have not.

So, I'd have to presume that the decision to NOT operate is being made at the level of the Police Commissioner, or on a state level.

Good luck finding that out.

Again, I'll agree with you, in principle, that this should be challenged. Hell, I think most people on this forum would agree.

However, it has always come down to the huge monetary expense, and the willingness to commit what would be a very long time, and tremendous effort, to fight the existing system in courts.

There's lots of reasons why that hasn't happened, and I, for one, don't think it ever will.

Sad, but true.

·
Registered
294 Posts
How long is too long to wait? 2, 5, 10 years? If we accept the way things are done and do not legally challenge the situation, soon we might see wait times never seen before. I see this as a critical time. Covid has empowered the licensing Division to do exactly what they were originally designed to do, to stop issuing of permits, to indirectly ban handgun possession. I am planning to contact FPC to see their take on the current situation. Enough is enough, its been over 6 months since my submission and not a peep from the licensing division when my interview will be. I know, I am not the only person that is going through this.
March second is exactly a year for me with no call no interview

·
Registered
294 Posts
Never mind, just saw your post. This is insane, you should have at least had your interview by now. Didnt some people that submitted the same time as you already get their license?
Haha I know this is crazy the worst process ever I have no idea I would think so lol who knows I'm just waiting it out I guess

·
Registered
30 Posts
Haha I know this is crazy the worst process ever I have no idea I would think so lol who knows I'm just waiting it out I guess
I recommend to contact any of these Gun rights organization, such as FPC. Tell them your story, it might be of interest to them. This is from their website:

FPC/FPF LEGAL ACTION HOTLINE

If you would like to report a possible civil rights violation, please feel free to send us a message using the form at https://www.firearmspolicy.org/hotline or call our toll-free Legal Action Hotline at <a>(855) 252-4510</a>. The primary objective of the Hotline and our legal action programs is to find legally-significant issues and bring cases that defend and advance fundamental rights and individual liberty.

It might amount to nothing, but you never know. I plan on contacting them myself. Its worth a try.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Today marks exactly 6 months to the day that I submitted my completed NY State Application. My girlfriend has not received a phone call yet. Unbelievable. Looks like I'm the first one on here to hit the 6 month mark from interview and not have a license yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Today marks exactly 6 months to the day that I submitted my completed NY State Application. My girlfriend has not received a phone call yet. Unbelievable. Looks like I'm the first one on here to hit the 6 month mark from interview and not have a license yet.

I think the only way to remedy what appears to be an intentional roadblock is to have a loud voice. Rather than reinvent the wheel, maybe we should contact one of the large 2a leaning groups on Long Island. I am sure they have a number of supporters that are in the same situation or would like to apply, The rallies leading up to the election and at the Governor's res were impressive. Posting on this board is informative but seems to need a face in the community.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the only way to remedy what appears to be an intentional roadblock is to have a loud voice. Rather than reinvent the wheel, maybe we should contact one of the large 2a leaning groups on Long Island. I am sure they have a number of supporters that are in the same situation or would like to apply, The rallies leading up to the election and at the Governor's res were impressive. Posting on this board is informative but seems to need a face in the community.
I agree. I am willing to contact anyone that might help our cause. I already contacted FPC, dont expect much from them but gotta start somewhere. For all of you who are facing the same challenges, please start reaching out to any pro 2nd orgs that might offer assistance. We need to start somewhere, if we let them get a way with this, you can kiss you licenses goodbye. Eventually they will use the same tactic on purchase registrations, and eventually renewals. Just because you might have a license now, dont think that you will not be impacted by this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
So I called my investigator today for the first time in 6 months to get an update as to what's going on. They stated to me that "the phone keeps ringing and there are constantly people at the window, I'm on her desk and it's gonna be a few more weeks". Just wanted to share that with you guys. Some investigators are definitely faster than others, especially the guy who just got his license and he applied two months after me. The wait for me continues. The middle of next month makes a whole year for me since submitting the questionnaire.

·
Registered
294 Posts
So I called my investigator today for the first time in 6 months to get an update as to what's going on. They stated to me that "the phone keeps ringing and there are constantly people at the window, I'm on her desk and it's gonna be a few more weeks". Just wanted to share that with you guys. Some investigators are definitely faster than others, especially the guy who just got his license and he applied two months after me. The wait for me continues. The middle of next month makes a whole year for me since submitting the questionnaire.

U doing better then me lol I submitted my questionnaire March 2,2020 and just got the interview march 16,2021 and was told about another 6 months so if that's right I'm gonna be a little over a year and a half !! Good luck keep us posted as I will do the same !!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
My girlfriend just got the phone call, my pistol license is approved and was told it will take a few weeks due to the mail being slow at the Pistol Licensing Bureau. It's been a long ride. Now to watch the mail.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
My girlfriend just got the phone call, my pistol license is approved and was told it will take a few weeks due to the mail being slow at the Pistol Licensing Bureau. It's been a long ride. Now to watch the mail.

Mail being slow ? How does it get delivered ? Blows in the wind ? Ridiculous, a complete violation of rights. If it comes to suspending ones license, then all of a sudden everyrhing is normal again, no slow down, no delay, everything all of a sudden moves then. Covid what ? Not when it comes to suspending, then its business as usual.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Mail being slow ? How does it get delivered ? Blows in the wind ? Ridiculous, a complete violation of rights. If it comes to suspending ones license, then all of a sudden everyrhing is normal again, no slow down, no delay, everything all of a sudden moves then.
I wish they would let us just go and pick it up. Doesn't Nassau do that?

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
How long is too long to wait? 2, 5, 10 years? If we accept the way things are done and do not legally challenge the situation, soon we might see wait times never seen before. I see this as a critical time. Covid has empowered the licensing Division to do exactly what they were originally designed to do, to stop issuing of permits, to indirectly ban handgun possession. I am planning to contact FPC to see their take on the current situation. Enough is enough, its been over 6 months since my submission and not a peep from the licensing division when my interview will be. I know, I am not the only person that is going through this.
Eventually, if the democrats have their way it will be like this for an MRI, surgery, Chemo, food, everything, all in the name of "progress".

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
Took 6 months and 16 days from my interview for the girlfriend to get the phone call. We will see how long it takes to get it in the mail.

241 - 260 of 300 Posts