Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

· Registered
12,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the time to start buying Hunting gear and applying for Doe Tags DMP. I had two new hunters scouting around this weekend.
Any LIF members get started scouting and preparing for the upcoming season?

Attachments

· Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I think I'm gonna head up to Deposit NY this year. Been talking to a lot of guys that have had consistent harvests in those parts year after year. Can't say the same for the area I've been hunting for the last 5 years (3P Sterling Forrest). Only thing I do know is that it would be nice to fill the freezer with some meat this year!

· Premium Member
3,874 Posts
I think I'm gonna head up to Deposit NY this year. Been talking to a lot of guys that have had consistent harvests in those parts year after year. Can't say the same for the area I've been hunting for the last 5 years (3P Sterling Forrest). Only thing I do know is that it would be nice to fill the freezer with some meat this year!
I'm still waiting to find a dead hooker under the bed at the Tuxedo Hilton...

· Registered
1,155 Posts
I hunted Deposit 2 years in a row. No doe permits.............. And the area was loaded with local trespassers.

· Registered
1,270 Posts
Can someone explain the preference points system to me? I am fairly new to hunting, started last season. I am trying to get a DMP for 4O which i know is hard. I believe you must have preference points to get one. But i don't understand how to get preference points. I am not military or a resident.

· Registered
851 Posts
Can someone explain the preference points system to me? I am fairly new to hunting, started last season. I am trying to get a DMP for 4O which i know is hard. I believe you must have preference points to get one. But i don't understand how to get preference points. I am not military or a resident.
Every year you apply for a DMP and don't get one you will get 1 preference point. When you finally get a DMP, usually with 2 or 3 PP's, you go back to 0 and start the cycle again. Hope that helps. I also hunt in 4O. I think they are only giving out 1,900 DMP's in 4O. I will be checking my cameras this weekend.

· Banned
5,971 Posts
Every year you apply for a DMP and don't get one you will get 1 preference point. When you finally get a DMP, usually with 2 or 3 PP's, you go back to 0 and start the cycle again. Hope that helps. I also hunt in 4O. I think they are only giving out 1,900 DMP's in 4O. I will be checking my cameras this weekend.
Not entirely true. You only get a preference point if you didn't get your first choice. You can apply for a 2nd tag in a different area and if you get it you still get the point. Also if you've been turned down for your first choice but later get a tag in the mail because the quota wasn't filled you still get the point

· Premium Member
3,874 Posts
so applying for an area that you need a PP in (without having the requisite PP) and 1C as my second choice, will I get a PP and a 1C DMP?

· Registered
12,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back in the 80s we needed to get two tags on the DMP application. It was tough getting them as a preference point was usually issued and take every other year. The system is definitely better .

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.