Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a scope to put on my RRA ATH AR15. I've been going out to Brookhaven rifle range and shoot at 100 yards but would like to try out the 200 side someday. This gun is used for range purposes only so I won't be targeting over 200 yards anytime soon.

Should I be looking for a 1x4 scope or a 3x9?

For a 1x4 I was looking at the Leatherwood Hi-Lux with red illuminated reticle ($360). W/ Burris PEPR QD Mount.

For a 3x9 I was looking at the Redfield 3x9 40mm with Accu-range reticle ($170). W/ Burris PEPR QD Mount.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-KB-

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
1-4x or 3-9x, depends on your eyesight.

I don't know about spending double on a 1-4x. Save your money and skip the illuminated reticle. Have heard nothing but good things about the new Redfields.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
check out primary arms ive used there mirco dot for years and love it. From what ive heard there 1-4x is great bang for the buck. there out of stock now but check out the reviews.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would get the 1-4 for an AR.  The Millett DMS is a nice 1-4 for $200. If you want a little better quality, with a ballistic CQ reticle, the Burris TAC 30 1-4 can be found for $270.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I'm contemplating the same thing.  Leaning towards the 1-4x at this point.  If you ever plan on doing a tactical competition the 3x might be too much magnification.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The 1 - 4 scopes are designed with close quarter battle in mind.
For range use only, I'd recommend the 3 -9. (or Nikon's 2-8 or 3-12)

·
Moved to Texas!!
2,260 Posts
Cabelas has the bushnell elite 4200 for $179.00
I put this in my rifle this past weekend and am very impressed with it. That is if you go the 3x9 route.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I was considering the Nikon M223 and the Leopold MK AR for my 20 inch Armalite upper.  I settled on the Bushnell Elite 3200 fixed 10X tactical for $149, made in Japan, mil dots, 1/4 moa target turrets....I've seen it as low as $129 (it lists for $230).  Last weekend I fired a 5-shot group the size of a dime at 100 yds. with one flyer.  I would go with the 1-4X if you are shooting close range tactical matches, 3-9X if you are shooting over 100 yds.  Be sure to get the proper AR scope mount that positions the scope forward so that you have enough eye relief.  I went the cheap route and put Burris X-treme Tactical rings on the upper, and the scope needs to be about an inch more forward for proper head position.  I am about to replace them with the Burris PERP mount for $63.

·
OathKeeper/NRA Life Member/Instructor/Appleseed Sh
1,690 Posts
I was looking at a Meopta 1-4x with illuminated reticle at campsite. Very nice and reasonably priced. + you'll get 10% from campsite with your LIF card.

CH

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since I'm going to be using this rifle for the range only, I'm almost positive I'll go with the 3x9.  That's unless someone on here can convince me otherwise.   ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
KJBassassin said:
Since I'm going to be using this rifle for the range only, I'm almost positive I'll go with the 3x9. That's unless someone on here can convince me otherwise. ;)
This seems like sound logic. If you are ringing steel or not as concerned about groupings then the 1x4 would work fine. When you are punching paper from the bench, you will find the urge to tighten up those groups and this is best achieved with more magnification.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts