Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I built an upper using a Mega Stainless 16" midlength barrel.. but Im thinking of swapping it to a 18" rifle length.

I already have a 20" rifle length stainless AR, 2 other 16" midlength 4150 ARs and a custom 4150 chf 15" with a pinned brake making it 16".

Anyone want to talk me out of the switch on the 16" ss to the 18" ss? I don't have an 18 yet. LOL

I haven't shot it yet, and if im going to sell it, I would rather sell it as unfired.

Ill probably put a 1-4 or 2-8x scope on it.

·
Black Robe Regiment Immigration without assimilati
8,117 Posts
Sell it and buy a Glock.

...or a 24" target barrel?

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,287 Posts
When I shot a lot of multi gun I ran an 18. It was nice, but application specific.

I like the 16 carbine and mid length guns. The middies seem a little better in kneeling bc you have more length for your support hand.

My high power match rifle is obviously a 20".

16' barrel- wow- that's long

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
18" is pretty much the peak velocity in 5.56 NATO. Going to 20" does not gain any velocity and beyond you actually lose velocity. So 18" is really the peak for long range accuracy. Rifle gas is better than mid, but fussy when it comes to firing a wide variety of ammo. You did not mention threaded or not.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
18" is pretty much the peak velocity in 5.56 NATO. Going to 20" does not gain any velocity and beyond you actually lose velocity. So 18" is really the peak for long range accuracy. Rifle gas is better than mid, but fussy when it comes to firing a wide variety of ammo. You did not mention threaded or not.
The 20" is non threaded, the 16" and possible 18 if I swap the barrels are both threaded.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I would never consider a 26" barrel that's insane to me lol

The 20" is a keeper and would be my max length, its going to be part of an all Noveske build. Im just really considering swapping the 16" ss for an 18.

With xm193, it looks like the difference is only 15fps in which case, I would keep the 16. Im also reading that the ideal gas system for an 18" is intermediate and the barrel I would get is rifle length. Ill prob stick to the 16.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,287 Posts
No. It isn't. You need to spin up a 30" blank and shop it an inch at a time dude.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts