Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in November I purchased my first rifle from Suffolk Sportsman. I quote myself:
Picked up my first rifle here today and loved the patience shown by Alan. I was asking a ton of questions trying to figure out what the differences were between a few different AR's and their prices and if it was worth it. I settled for a happy medium.

I also appreciate the other customers who waited patiently. Such a calm environment and I'm going to be a regular customer.
Unfortunately, I have to recant this positive statement.

Being new to AR-15's I wasn't exactly sure what was normal fitting between the Upper and Lower receivers. When I took the rifle out for its first shooting and came back home to clean it I had a hard time. Pushing out the takedown pin was extremely hard, and fitting the Upper to the Lower back together was even harder. I looked it up and read that sometimes it needs to break in so I continued to use the rifle as it was.

After some time, I knew something wasn't right. So I take the rifle back to Suffolk Sportsman to have them look at it. Alan takes it and says come back in an hour when John in there to take a look at it. I get a call from John in an hour saying to come pick it up. Anxiously, I drive there thinking it will be a simple fix and I'd be on my way. I get there to pick it up and John says it'll cost $20. He said the buffer tube was screwed in too far and was preventing a flush fit between the upper and lower. I thought it was unfair for him to charge me because I bought the rifle like that, but he insisted that someone took tools to it to make it tight and he stripped out his tool trying to get it off. Yet my lock ring and buffer tube was marred up from his sloppiness. John said I should take the rifle back to where I bought it from and have them give me my money back because I purchased a used gun then. Apparently John didn't know that I had purchased the rifle from Alan and I quickly informed him that I purchased the rifle at his shop. He quickly insisted that I took tools to it.

I was angry. Not only did he accuse me of something that I didn't do, much less capable of doing, he also charged me for work that I did not approve. I asked them to take a look at the rifle, not complete any work; and for them to go ahead with the work without going over a price is unprofessional. I reluctantly paid the $20 to take possession of my rifle (hindsight says I should have called the police) and head home. I call up Alan that night and reason with him that I thought I was treated unfairly and with disrespect and we came to the agreement that I can have my $20 back. The principle is worth more than the money to me.

I thought the dispute was over, and wasn't going to bring anything up about it on these forums, but last week I had an issue with the AR's buffer retainer stripping out the notch on the buffer tube. The buffer tube was not screwed in far enough. So from the factory, the buffer tube was 1 turn too far in, and from the gunsmith's work, the buffer tube was backed out 1 turn and that was too far out.

Alright, I call up Del-ton, tell them the story, and ask if my gun can be covered under warranty. They didn't say no directly, but they said that I'll have to pay for shipping, insurance, and parts and labor to fix the rifle because it is marred up. So basically my rifle isn't covered under warranty anymore due to John screwing it up. -1 to Suffolk Sportsman, -1 to Del-ton.

Since my rifle isn't under warranty anymore, I took the buffer tube and screwed it in the original distance. Measured how much it was interfering with the lower and upper fitting together and milled that down. It now fits and functions perfectly. It just has bare aluminum showing, to match the lovely marring that John did.... A buffer tube and lock ring costs $20-30 but I feel like I was sold a broken gun that can't be returned and there was very little cooperation on the dealer and manufacturers part to fix my problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Once again, the principle is worth more than the money to me.

I give credit to Alan for being patient and working with me on the misunderstanding during this situation. If it were just him in the store, I'd go back. But I'm staying away due to John performing poor gunsmithing and insulting me. And Del-ton has a "limited" lifetime warranty. They want you to buy their rifles, but you can't do anything to them, even if the work was done by one of their dealers. Their prices are good, but I guess you get what you pay for. Lesson learned the hard way. Don't let the same mistake happen to you.

·
Banned
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
artburg said:
Can you give Del-ton the serial # and see if it was sold/shipped as a complete rifle or just a lower/parts kit that someone else assembled??
I had the same suspicions, and did that and it was in fact sold/shipped as a complete rifle.

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
6,239 Posts
goosecatcher said:
I had the same suspicions, and did that and it was in fact sold/shipped as a complete rifle.
Did you alert them to the fact that the rifle was in the shop to be looked at and work was done without your permission? These are messed up circumstances :(

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
Hi!

I also had a negative experience with Suffolk Sportsman.
On March 10, I came by to purchase a box of F&N ammo. Suffolk Sportsman had a used Beretta CX4 for sale. I inspected the rifle and liked the way it handled. After Alan and I agreed to the price and I filled out the ATF form, I presented my out-of-state driver's license and CCW. The two guys (Alan and John) who run the store then refused to sell the rifle to me. They said that they could only sell to NY residents. I told them that the rifle would be perfectly legal for me to own in my home state Virginia. I also told Alan that I have already purchased rifles on Long Island before and that my out-of-state residence should not be an issue. They still refused to sell to me. They never suggested that they transfer the rifle to a Virginia FFL. I purchased a box of F&N ammo and left the store, vowing never to return. I will never deal with these grumpy and lethargic individuals ever again.
I agree with goosecatcher. Alan and John need to improve their customer service and people skills.

Sydney

goosecatcher said:
Back in November I purchased my first rifle from Suffolk Sportsman. I quote myself:

Unfortunately, I have to recant this positive statement.

Being new to AR-15's I wasn't exactly sure what was normal fitting between the Upper and Lower receivers. When I took the rifle out for its first shooting and came back home to clean it I had a hard time. Pushing out the takedown pin was extremely hard, and fitting the Upper to the Lower back together was even harder. I looked it up and read that sometimes it needs to break in so I continued to use the rifle as it was.

After some time, I knew something wasn't right. So I take the rifle back to Suffolk Sportsman to have them look at it. Alan takes it and says come back in an hour when John in there to take a look at it. I get a call from John in an hour saying to come pick it up. Anxiously, I drive there thinking it will be a simple fix and I'd be on my way. I get there to pick it up and John says it'll cost $20. He said the buffer tube was screwed in too far and was preventing a flush fit between the upper and lower. I thought it was unfair for him to charge me because I bought the rifle like that, but he insisted that someone took tools to it to make it tight and he stripped out his tool trying to get it off. Yet my lock ring and buffer tube was marred up from his sloppiness. John said I should take the rifle back to where I bought it from and have them give me my money back because I purchased a used gun then. Apparently John didn't know that I had purchased the rifle from Alan and I quickly informed him that I purchased the rifle at his shop. He quickly insisted that I took tools to it.

I was angry. Not only did he accuse me of something that I didn't do, much less capable of doing, he also charged me for work that I did not approve. I asked them to take a look at the rifle, not complete any work; and for them to go ahead with the work without going over a price is unprofessional. I reluctantly paid the $20 to take possession of my rifle (hindsight says I should have called the police) and head home. I call up Alan that night and reason with him that I thought I was treated unfairly and with disrespect and we came to the agreement that I can have my $20 back. The principle is worth more than the money to me.

I thought the dispute was over, and wasn't going to bring anything up about it on these forums, but last week I had an issue with the AR's buffer retainer stripping out the notch on the buffer tube. The buffer tube was not screwed in far enough. So from the factory, the buffer tube was 1 turn too far in, and from the gunsmith's work, the buffer tube was backed out 1 turn and that was too far out.

Alright, I call up Del-ton, tell them the story, and ask if my gun can be covered under warranty. They didn't say no directly, but they said that I'll have to pay for shipping, insurance, and parts and labor to fix the rifle because it is marred up. So basically my rifle isn't covered under warranty anymore due to John screwing it up. -1 to Suffolk Sportsman, -1 to Del-ton.

Since my rifle isn't under warranty anymore, I took the buffer tube and screwed it in the original distance. Measured how much it was interfering with the lower and upper fitting together and milled that down. It now fits and functions perfectly. It just has bare aluminum showing, to match the lovely marring that John did.... A buffer tube and lock ring costs $20-30 but I feel like I was sold a broken gun that can't be returned and there was very little cooperation on the dealer and manufacturers part to fix my problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Once again, the principle is worth more than the money to me.

I give credit to Alan for being patient and working with me on the misunderstanding during this situation. If it were just him in the store, I'd go back. But I'm staying away due to John performing poor gunsmithing and insulting me. And Del-ton has a "limited" lifetime warranty. They want you to buy their rifles, but you can't do anything to them, even if the work was done by one of their dealers. Their prices are good, but I guess you get what you pay for. Lesson learned the hard way. Don't let the same mistake happen to you.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Messed up that they worked on the rifle without asking you for the go-ahead. Unless you walk in and say "whatever it is, fix it and I'll pay for it", a shop should always consult with the customer before going ahead with the work.

That said, I don't see how the buffer tube could have been installed too far, unless the guy assembling at Del-Ton had no idea what he was doing, or the lower was out of spec. The tube should just hold the retainer in place, and not mash against the retainer, and should come up flush with or just shy of the edge, so it won't interfere with the upper. So the gunsmith should have recognized this, and the rifle should have gone directly back to Del-Ton for them to replace the out of spec parts. I'd call Del-Ton again and ask them exactly what the deal is if one of their dealers messes up the gun, but they will probably say it's the dealer's responsibility to pay if the dealer worked on it rather than sending it back to Del-Ton. They have great customer service, and great prices on a good product, but those prices have to be realized by not offering the best product, and sticking to a limited warranty rather than a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
Personally, I think you got hosed by a set of circumstances. There's a whole lotta woulda/shoulda/coulda variables in there that might have played this entire scenario out a bit differently.

If it were me, I'd chalk it up to a bad day, and give them another chance.

Oh, and for the record, I've never been in this shop. (I am assuming this is the shop in Smithtown. If it's in Yaphank, I've been there twice. But I don't know anyone by name). Similar names and all.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
That sucks. I have not used them. Don't know the shop people at all.
I agree the principle is the issue, and make it right or replace it should be the norm but isn't.
I too would be insulted if being "accused" of doing such. Might as well have called you a liar.

Too bad. Glad to hear your rifle is functioning well now though.

·
Sharp Shooter!
539 Posts
Listen, after my experience with Suffolk Sportsman I would say that it is still one of the best stores on the Island to buy a firearm just keep your guns out of the hands of John the so called gunsmith.  For the purpose of this thread I will summarize my story. Last year I purchased an XD 40 with the stainless steel finish, the price was great and Alan took his time with me and was a pleasure  to deal with. A few weeks later I purchased night sights from Cabelas and I took the gun to Suffolk Sportsman to get them installed.  When I picked up the gun I was like, Oh isht! The gunsmith scratched the isht out of the slide, it was a horrible hack job on my new gun. To make a long story short after a few months of back and forth Alan ended up giving me a brand new gun.  Now installing sights is one of the most basic gunsmithing tasks, if you cant do that right you should find another job.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Wow, what a sad story. I guess Del-Ton's L/T warranty really is "limited"...limited to you getting it home from the dealer. Sounds like the folks at S/S need to go back to gunsmithing school and charm school to learn how to deal with customers.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I dealt with Alan once for a used Glock 22 transfer.
Pricey but a pleasure to deal with and convenient to SCPD.

Never purchased anything aside from ammo and targets from him though.
Sorry to hear about your situation.
Hope something good comes of it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I am not defending the shop but there are a lot of possible scenarios.

1 Manufacturer sent out a factory second without knowing.
2 Sent it out knowing.
3 Shop built it's own weapon and messed up.
4 Shop didn't know guns was used and sold it as new.
5 Shop doesn't care.
6 miscommunication on many levels
7 bad customer service
8 looking to make a buck
9 a mistake was made

We could all sit here and say 1000 things and 1000 scenarios but the point is that crap happens.
If the gun was great from the factory then the owner messed it up.
If it sucked from the factory the owner deserves a refund/new rifle.
There are many things here left out.

Not the fault of anyone but I am using my personal experience as a guide.
No offense to anyone on the board.

I have seen both sides. People have come in and broken things on purpose to get a new gun, new parts or other things. Happens. I have seen things come from the factory that aren't acceptable. I don't work for a gun shop, so I deal with different situations, but I have seen so many excuses it is ridiculous.

That being said, I have heard bs excuses from manufacturers and suppliers so it is rampant on all levels. I am not assigning any blame on either side, I just know that many things aren't kosher here.

·
Banned
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CaptainMitchell said:
Did you alert them to the fact that the rifle was in the shop to be looked at and work was done without your permission? These are messed up circumstances :(
Yes, but he was more concerned about his tool being stripped out and demanded the money.

NorthForkSportsman said:
Did you observe any handing marks on it when you first bought it? As if it was used prior?
There was some scuffing on the buffer tube, past where the lock ring tightens down. Being my first rifle, I thought this was purely cosmetic and I was anxious to get it and shoot.

·
Banned
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DefMan said:
Del-ton has excellent service when it comes to their warranty. Sounds like SS simply didn't tell you what they found before working on it. You can void warranty on DT rifles buy shotting ammo that's not recommended by DT. Is SS an authorized seller or an authorized gunsmith approved by DT?
How are they to know what ammo I shot over the phone? I do not know if they are an authorized dealer or gunsmith.

·
Banned
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Merlin said:
I am not defending the shop but there are a lot of possible scenarios.

1 Manufacturer sent out a factory second without knowing.
2 Sent it out knowing.
3 Shop built it's own weapon and messed up.
4 Shop didn't know guns was used and sold it as new.
5 Shop doesn't care.
6 miscommunication on many levels
7 bad customer service
8 looking to make a buck
9 a mistake was made
I agree that there could be a million possibilities. But I paid for a product, I expect it to be working. Someone somewhere should help me out, instead of pointing fingers. We're talking about $20 in parts here. Is Del-ton or SS hurting that bad that they need the $20? To what expense? A bad reputation? A lost customer? Sounds fishy.

Now that I did take tools to it after the fact, I doubt anyone will help me out. But I don't care. 2 places lost customers.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.