Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without going into too much detail, from the second I walked in, which was based on good reviews from this site, I felt like I was the guy who came in to scrub the bottom of their dumpster. They pride themselves on arogance and making you feel that you can't possibly know as much as them. That was my experience and on a side note, my cousin's as well. When I told him about my visit, he laughed and said he felt the same way and had a similar experience. I spend waaaay too much on this addiction to throw a penny their way. I will stick to the nice guys at Campsite.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
I have never been there, so I have no opinion of them. But you be a bit more specific? Did they just pretend they didn't see you or curt and rude towards your questions. I would just like to know.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
bigtoyz said:
Without going into too much detail, from the second I walked in, which was based on good reviews from this site, I felt like I was the guy who came in to scrub the bottom of their dumpster. They pride themselves on arogance and making you feel that you can't possibly know as much as them. That was my experience and on a side note, my cousin's as well. When I told him about my visit, he laughed and said he felt the same way and had a similar experience. I spend waaaay too much on this addiction to throw a penny their way. I will stick to the nice guys at Campsite.
When did you go there? Did you ask for a cleaning kit to replaced??

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have been there 4 times and bought 3 guns. First 3 time were great bought a gun each visit the last time I was treated very poorly I just dont get why their can not be a friendly gun store thats nice all the time. I will give them another try just because someone is having a bad day dont mean we all have to. Maybe its just an isolated incident like troubles with the old lady etc.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
Jefe,

I just never felt comfortable at that store. I think their prices are good. I find them knowledgable, but I can put my finger on it,,, I just felt like all eyes were on yours truly. I discarded this feeling as just yourstruly being paranoid. Would I buy from them you bet, but I have to admit I much prefer the folks at campsite. They make you feel like you are welcome, and the important thing is that you stopped by. I have visited them so many times and walked with litttle purchased. But everytime I visit, I am treated like I am about to buy every firearm in the store. Great Guys. I am shown new guns, I get informed about new laws or policies coming down the pipe which maybe of consequence, we talk about upcoming matches, etc. The guys there also participate in idpa, ipsc and even cowboy action shooting. They hunt as well. They are sportsman just like yours truly. I have bought many pistolas from them and I can't be any happier with each purchase. Like I said would I buy from SSS yes. But my gun compas always points North to Campsite.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Maybe you caught them on a bad day. It happens.
I have only been there a few times (without issue, a bit pricey though).

I do use campsite too because they are cool and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I think SSS has a nice selection, but I have never found their prices to be good.  The pistol section is different; they have good prices there.  The rifles are all too high for me, but I'm spoiled with knowing what things should cost.  They were always friendly to me though.  

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have only been there once because of how far away they are from me.
When I was there Mike was nothing but nice and took his time showing me all the 1911's they had in stock including some in the back. We went from the RI $500 special to the Wilsons at $2500. He never was rude or arrogant but did comment on this forum for a bit. PM me for specifics, I am not putting our convo on blast and again he was nothing but nice.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To answer an earlier post, no I did not ask for a cleaning kit to be replaced. The place was empty. I was asking about items other than firearms. Every question I had was answered before I could finish speaking. And not even answering the question that I wanted to ask. Rude and short, I am very easy going, probably too easy going. Campsite will always make you feel at home. I went to Hunter Sports after and was treated like gold. For the owners, You are not better than everyone else. Treat your customers nice. The place however is a dream. Neat and clean, well lit and stocked. Probably the nicest in that respect.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Being former cops, they can sometimes come off as being know it alls and somewhat pushy. And they can be suspicious of you at first, especially if you come in wearing a sombrero and let your burro leave a mess in front of their store. lol Bob

·
Banned
5,707 Posts
I never had any issues there, nor my friends, and I spend a good amount of time there - ive been to most of the shops on the island and find no reason for me to go elsewhere and if I lived east I would also go to campsite since they are both shops I find on par with price, selection, and attitude

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
I have to say, this is the first negitive comment I heard about them openly..

·
Banned
5,707 Posts
mikeee said:
And gun stores wonder why people always buy online Cheaper price, No tax, and no hassle...
and what do you think will happen when the local shops start shutting down....... Ive had plenty of online establishments hang up on me just for being in NY.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
and this is why i only buy firearms from members of LIF or on gunbroker.  I only use Coastline for FFL work and the rest of these places can choke the chicken for all I care.  Too many advocates.  Too much kool-aid.  Too much hearsay and apologists.  This guy had a bad day.  You have to understand this or you have to understand that.  B#$%%$#@.  There are two things to keep in mind.  One, they are in business to conduct business.  Two, I'm the customer.  Without a customer they can eat the guns, the ammo and their self-righteous b#$%@#$% attitudes.  So here's the lesson boys and girls, it takes a lifetime to build a business and only a minute to destroy it.  

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Architect said:
I have to say, this is the first negitive comment I heard about them openly..
I am 40 years old and have been into guns for all 40 of those years. I have been to every gun store on LI. Sometimes I spend alot, sometimes nothing at all. I have one requirement to get me to open my wallet. And that is a good customer/owner relation. I always look for inventory, cleanliness, as this is a good sign of what to expect, but most importantly the attidue in which I am greeted. I think someone nailed it on the head with cop attiude. That is exactly it. I felt like I was just pulled over.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
i'm starting to believe that if drug dealers on long island had the same attitudes as the gun shops on long island there'd be no more drug addicts on long island.  

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
_ said:
Ive had plenty of online establishments hang up on me just for being in NY.
+1. That's true, but I've also done a lot of good business online. I still prefer shopping online. I can check prices and shipping costs all from the comfort of my home instead of having to drive miles between shops and put up with the "we hate browsers" attitude. If gun stores go out of business on LI tomorrow I wouldn't bat an eye. Private sales will be up as people don't have stores to conduct sales for them, and I can drive to gun shows to buy guns at better prices just as I do now. I have never bought a firearm online even though the prices are always better. I have had good luck with gun shows, private sales, and Dick's sporting goods. I will ALWAYS buy my ammo online over a store (except .22 or birdshot from Walmart). The only thing I may ever need from a gun store is to make a transfer and I can live without one being so close to home. Let the LI gun stores go out of business and new ones rise from the ashes ready to do operate the correct way.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
There's a thing about dealing with the public. Not everyone is going to be happy.

To be honest, I don't go/not go to a place based on someone elses opinion. Some people can't stand certain shops, yet I still frequent them.

So SSS got a bad review today. I guess they're not perfect.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.