Short Hills Murdering Car-Jackers Long Rap Sheet - Page 2 - Out of State Crimes - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Short Hills Murdering Car-Jackers Long Rap Sheet

short hills murdering car jackers long rap sheet

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 Objectivist

Objectivist

Borders, Language, Culture

• Established Member
  • 4747 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted December 22 2013 - 10:21 AM

this should be one of those rare moments where 'concerned' citizens come together & put some pressure on politicians to do something positive like instituting a 3 strikes rule.

Why can't we get a knee-jerk reaction to a situation like this where the criminals suffer instead of the STUPID act in the wake of Sandy Hook?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6259 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted December 22 2013 - 10:28 AM

OHHHHH and It will ONLY GET WORST. The NY TIMES admits For years, much of the country's struggles with mental-health treatment remained out of the spotlight. But a series of high-profile shootings over the past two years, such as in Aurora, Colo., and Newtown, Conn., and Tucson, Ariz. has drawn attention to a host of deficiencies. GEEE YOU THINK ITS A PROBLEM MAYBE NOT THE GUNS. NOW Obama CARE WILL FLOOD THE MENTALLY ILL INTO TREATMENT SURE. A SHORTAGE OF HELP THATS JUST PERFECT. Now we need guns more then ever !!!

To the outside world, it came across as mood swings and anger. But Regina Cullison would later be told by psychiatrists she struggled with depression and anxiety—and that she needed help. And that is where her trouble began and ended.

According to her mother, there were few psychiatrists in the county who took private insurance. When Ms. Cullison lost her job as a dentist's assistant, and with it her insurance, she switched to a nonprofit facility. Doctors came and went, and none stayed long enough to establish a regular pattern of treatment.

After two years, Ms. Cullison abandoned her search for professional help and tried marijuana. Her mother, Carolyn Cullison, who is the director of a mental-health peer support group, said that helped push away the demons. But in May, while living together, the pair argued. Ms. Cullison apologized, retreated to a bedroom and shot herself. She was 26.

As hard as it might be to acknowledge having a mental-health illness, finding professional help can be even harder.

Last year, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, almost 91 million adults lived in areas like here where shortages of mental-health professionals made obtaining treatment difficult. A departmental report to Congress earlier this year said 55 percent of the nation's 3,100 counties have no practicing psychiatrists, psychologists or social workers, a combination of budget cuts and doctors leaving the profession.

Even in well-served areas, such as Washington, D.C., and Massachusetts, demand is so high practitioners frequently decline to take new patients or private insurance, according to a Kaiser Family Foundation survey.

Such shortages are expected to only grow now, as the federal health-care law goes into effect and allows more people to seek help. Indeed, according to the National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors, some 6.8 million uninsured people with a mental illness will gain coverage after federal and state health insurance exchanges implement the new law. More people will be chasing after scarce resources, an influx that will "overwhelm if not inundate" the field, said Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, president of the American Psychiatric Association.

For years, much of the country's struggles with mental-health treatment remained out of the spotlight. But a series of high-profile shootings over the past two years, such as in Aurora, Colo., and Newtown, Conn., and Tucson, Ariz. has drawn attention to a host of deficiencies. Those include privacy laws that end up limiting families' ability to guide their children's care and a tightening of commitment standards that exclude all but the most obviously violent patients. The result is increasing and sometimes fatal encounters with police and prisons overflowing with the mentally ill.

Click for more from the Wall Street Journal

Edited by Ransom, December 22 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#23 brick631squad

brick631squad

Click Clack BANG BANG

• Banned
  • 3933 posts
  • LocationGet a warrant

Posted December 22 2013 - 10:30 AM

what happened to the 3 strikes rule?

That is California

Edit = spelling

Edited by brick631squad, December 22 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#24 General.rr

General.rr

Temp. self-imposed ban.

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4401 posts
  • LocationIn the basket somewhere

Posted December 22 2013 - 10:38 AM

Three strikes nonsense does not work either. You can't have one universal solution for all kinds of problems.
Let the citizens defend themselves. It could have been a good Christmas story titled "Four thugs dead in foiled robbery attempt in Short Hills Mall parking lot" .
  • Interlude, MetalHead and Big Dog Arms like this

#25 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 10:45 AM

The problem is that nobody wants to PAY to keep these thugs in jail, a death sentence costs even more, and mandates like 3 strikes carry unintended consequences where some guy who is not a violent killer gets locked up for life.

I am for workcamp prisons that would be less fun and more self-funding. Earn your cheese sandwich or don't get one, and te only cable youwill be watching is the one you are digging a trench for.

Plus our jails are full of crazy/homeless that don't belong there.
  • General.rr and ChiefSailer like this

#26 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 10:48 AM

Genalarrr, 4 career thugs vs 2 armed victims would probably read "2 victims shot dead and 2guns stolen"-remember who has the advantage of initiating the conflict.

Armed citizenry is great, but no guarantees.

#27 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6259 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted December 22 2013 - 10:56 AM

The problem is that nobody wants to PAY to keep these thugs in jail, a death sentence costs even more, and mandates like 3 strikes carry unintended consequences where some guy who is not a violent killer gets locked up for life.

I am for workcamp prisons that would be less fun and more self-funding. Earn your cheese sandwich or don't get one, and te only cable youwill be watching is the one you are digging a trench for.

Plus our jails are full of crazy/homeless that don't belong there.

Jails are over crowded most career criminals have mental issues you are correct its easier to look at easier ways like blame it on Law Abiding Citizens as they can take from them easy like money and we can restrict them and make them the criminal for a headline or money.

Edited by Ransom, December 22 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#28 Sheeple

Sheeple

Banned

• Banned
  • 10933 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:04 AM

Where are the bleeding hearts crying for criminals to have shorter and more comfortable sentences? Wouldn't want to ruin their lives now would we? Completely okay that they destroy the lives of others while they're out raping, pillaging, and murdering. As long as they're "reformed" and "rehabilitated" right guys?

#29 Sheeple

Sheeple

Banned

• Banned
  • 10933 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:05 AM

Genalarrr, 4 career thugs vs 2 armed victims would probably read "2 victims shot dead and 2guns stolen"-remember who has the advantage of initiating the conflict.

I don't they all of them were armed. Not sure though.

#30 Big Dog Arms

Big Dog Arms

Big Dog Owner

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member
  • 419 posts
  • LocationRoscoe,NY-Merrick,NY-Downsville,NY

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:07 AM

unfortunately they were killed, being armed is some chance ....better than no chance
  • artburg likes this

#31 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:21 AM

I thought only the dude was killed-might have misread that.

If "everybody had guns" its presumable all four of the bad guys would have armed themselves and shot first.

Edited by Captain Will, December 22 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#32 General.rr

General.rr

Temp. self-imposed ban.

• 4401 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:25 AM

Will,
Given the outcome is never guaranteed. But I would go with the chances that thugs would really think hard, knowing that concealed carry is common place in the state. It would be prudent of people to be armed while shopping. I used to live in a free state. Never, even once I saw an altercation over a parking spot, or someone cutting in line, or simple being contentious just because. What I saw is generally POLITE society and verbal exchanges between people on much more civilized level. And its not due to less stress. It has some role, of course. But not entirely. When "they" know that 80% or wallmart shoppers carry all the time, they would have to reduce themselves to auto-theft instead of car hijacking. Parked cars sometimes scream but don't shoot back. Even those animals understand that.

Edited by General.rr, December 22 2013 - 12:12 PM.

• artburg and li02liberty like this

#33 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7946 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:28 AM

Libs throw this "turn the cards" scenario out all the time to scare off folk from carrying. Contrasted with the reality of the number of successful self defense uses by gunowners it is a non issue/urban myth. Name how many guns were taken off civilians in the course of an assault? got stats? Please, how often does this occur compared to the number of lives saved by armed citizens.
  • artburg and GSDGUY7642 like this

#34 General.rr

General.rr

Temp. self-imposed ban.

• 4401 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:32 AM

Another fact. The people who arm themselves legally, usually are better prepared. We buy our guns and make sure they work, we go the ranges and practice, we give them proper maintenance. Any cop can tell you, that in most cases those low-life thugs have old, rusty guns in half-arss condition. Not always, but in many cases.That all means that if confronted, we should be better trained. Element of surprise is important, but again - it all comes down to who better prepared.I take my chances.

Edited by General.rr, December 22 2013 - 11:33 AM.

• barfly, Yoshinkan, li02liberty and 1 other like this

#35 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:34 AM

I understand the emotional viewpoint and sentiment that is based on, but as I posted in the other thread about your assertion that crime is lower in TX or AZ than NY, the crime statistics do not seem to support your theory (actual reported ones). My personal view is that crime and political climate have a bigger effect on gun laws, than gun laws do on crime-trying to analyze the relationship with neutrality.

You are in greater danger of carjacking in Dallas than NYC, statistically speaking, a number of factors do not include guns.

#36 Yoshinkan

Yoshinkan

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2459 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:39 AM

From Fox News...seems like Essex County has a problem with carjackings......

Katherine Carter, a spokeswoman for the Essex County prosecutor's office told FoxNews.com earlier this week that 450 carjackings have occurred this year in Essex County, up from 422 in 2012. In 2011, 277 carjackings were reported in the county, which includes crime-ridden Newark, once dubbed the "car theft capital of the world."

#37 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:40 AM

I wish I cold agree with you guys and support it with logic, but it appears the thug's un worked just fine, and with four attackers then if the vitimhad been as well prepared as a career criminal and street hood rat, chances of her surviving a 4:1 gun battle are marginal at best. Discounting force superiority, her odds are 1:16

But , she has a 50/50 chance of killing one bad guy.

#38 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7946 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:43 AM

I understand the emotional viewpoint and sentiment that is based on, but as I posted in the other thread about your assertion that crime is lower in TX or AZ than NY, the crime statistics do not seem to support your theory (actual reported ones). My personal view is that crime and political climate have a bigger effect on gun laws, than gun laws do on crime-trying to analyze the relationship with neutrality.

You are in greater danger of carjacking in Dallas than NYC, statistically speaking, a number of factors do not include guns.

Here's some neutral professors who analyzed the relationship between guns ownership and crime.

Gary Kleck: From several hundred thousand to over a million assaults annually prevented by gun ownership. http://www.guncite.c...ol_gcdguse.html

John Lott, Jr.: "More Guns, Less Crime". Univ. of Chicago Press, in its third edition. Cited by federal courts.

Edited by grifhunter, December 22 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#39 Walker1847

Walker1847

Walker1847

• Club LIF Member
  • 12106 posts
  • LocationI'm not in Kansas anymore

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:45 AM

Interesting that this is still the same topic that was front and center over 39 years ago.
No one on the government side wants to solve the problem; crime is what keeps them employed...

Edited by Walker1847, December 22 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#40 Big Dog Arms

Big Dog Arms

Big Dog Owner

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Established Member
  • 419 posts
  • LocationRoscoe,NY-Merrick,NY-Downsville,NY

Posted December 22 2013 - 11:48 AM

I wish I cold agree with you guys and support it with logic, but it appears the thug's un worked just fine, and with four attackers then if the vitimhad been as well prepared as a career criminal and street hood rat, chances of her surviving a 4:1 gun battle are marginal at best. Discounting force superiority, her odds are 1:16

But , she has a 50/50 chance of killing one bad guy.

. Wouldn't some defense...be better than NO DEFENSE ? You'd rather sit there and be slaughtered ?, or perhaps break loose and draw your weapon and protect you and your family . I cannot see how anyone would want it any other way, sitting there and getting slaughtered by animals, wouldn't be my choice .
  • artburg and R Urban like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: short, hills, murdering, car, jackers, long, rap, sheet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users