Long Island Shooters Forum banner

NY SAFE Romanian AK-47 Variant

28K views 58 replies 38 participants last post by  Kalva 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
NY SAFE Romanian AK-47 Variant

This is my I'm not a "Criminal" NY SAFE Romanian AK-47 Variant, semi-auto, ten round magazine (loaded with 7 rounds)non-treaded barrel with rifle stock build.

First Thanks to Mopar14889 in helping out by letting me measure his Sagia Rifle for the proper hole alignment / positions of the FCG.

Well back in April I got the Idea of how not to break this redickulass (spelled wrong to make a point) NY SAFE Law. I had the parts kit and just needed to make it legal, so as a Sagia Sportster as my template, how do I reverse engineer it to fit my needs?

I Moved the fire control group back, add a Saiga Rifle stock and ground down the barrel treads, easier said then done.

Below is the finished product and she shoots true and may I say more accurate in this configuration (yes thank you King Cuomo for this realization as now I have a better, lighter, more potent firearm then before, as its even more stable in my hands because it doesn't have a pistol grip.)

Final Version: I wanted to stay true to what this rifle is and went with they standard wood foregrips sanded and stained with black Minwax to pull out the grain and give a used look but not used.

Second Version: Standard wood foregrips black like Sagia Sportster

First Version: Sagia Sportster look, but just didn't feel / look right to me

Now for the Build:

Marking and drilling the new Fire Control holes:

File and Dremmel Later:

Continued in NY SAFE Romanian AK-47 Variant Part II

See less See more
#2 ·
FCG: One thing I don't like about the Saiga FCG is that they rivet it in, how can I disassemble my firearm to clean when I can't even take the FCG out. I got passed this by using axis pins, just needed to drill a few thousandths larger hole in the Saiga Trigger and Trigger bridge (bonus is now the whole FCG is removable by pulling out the Shepard's hook wire I made to hold in the four axis pins.

Right side Axis holes drilled

Left side Larger Axis holes drilled out

Sagia trigger guard
I used Allen head rivet like bolts on the trigger guard and magazine retainer to make any future conversion easier (don't forget loctite tite)

Need to put this pile of parts together:

First mockup:

Look how clean:

Continued in NY SAFE Romanian AK-47 Variant Part III

Reactions: iGreg
#3 ·
Now this almost broke my heart, filing down the barrel treads:

Filing down the bayonet lugs:

I threw these in to my Harbor Fright tumbler for a week and Blued them:

Pressing in the front sight "in reverse"

Just finished my third bluing session on the barrel:

I used Allen head rivet like bolts on the trigger guard and magazine retainer to make any future conversion easier (don't forget loctite tite)

Coming along:

Continued in NY SAFE Romanian AK-47 Variant Part IV

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sanded and Stained the wood for a weather look:

All together:

#5 ·
Nice post! Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: Kalva
#15 ·
Thanks to all for the positive words.
My trigger is very nice, I put a hard plastic bushing between the trigger and trigger bridge, no slop at all and a true single stage pull.

#13 ·
Nice job.

I, for one, feel a lot SAFEer now that you've done all that work......I guess these new laws DO work.

#17 ·
Wow very nice job. Thanks for sharing. How much for one?!

#19 ·
I agree, we should not have to do this to stay legal. I'm hoping I'll be able to return this firearm to its original configuration someday.
The Axis pins pretty much sit on the thickness of the reciver, 1mm or so.

#23 ·
Maybe we'll have a Build party come Jan 2014, start collecting parts guys:). As I said earlier, this is
reversible except the filing down of the barrel treads, or just buy a new barrel if the law is change.

#24 ·
Very nicely done.

I was planning on swapping out a TH stock with a traditional style stock and then making the rear bayonet holder non accepting of a bayonet. I received a Tapco plastic stock yesterday from Amazon, mounted it and shouldered the weapon. The Tapco stock is about 3/4" shorter than the one I was replacing, and I have to tell you, it felt all wrong and insubstantial. I have it for self defense, and if it doesn't feel right for me to fire, it will be useless. I put the original stock back on and will not be using the Tapco stock (shich is for stamped and not milled receivers, BTW).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.