Target shooting on state land? - All Other Areas [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Target shooting on state land?

target shooting on state land

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 hotglock

hotglock

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1179 posts

Posted August 23 2013 - 04:15 PM

Just wanted to confirm with my lif buddy's. target shooting on state land with pistol is not allowed in nys right? Only allowed to discharge firearm on state land during hunting season

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 11165 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 23 2013 - 04:18 PM

No target shooting on state land!

#3 hotglock

hotglock

Gun Guru

• 1179 posts

Posted August 23 2013 - 04:21 PM

I didn't think so.

#4 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11165 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 23 2013 - 04:26 PM

DEC is hyper sensitive when they hear shots and investigate.

#5 jetfan1616

jetfan1616

Just zis guy, you know?

• Club LIF Member
  • 2454 posts
  • LocationEastern Suffolk

Posted August 23 2013 - 04:35 PM

I was under the impression that target shooting in state forests was allowed unless expressly prohibited? Wilderness areas and Conservation lands are prohibited. Of course this doesn't apply here on LI as there are no state forests.

#6 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 12178 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted August 23 2013 - 04:48 PM

I was under the impression that target shooting in state forests was allowed unless expressly prohibited? Wilderness areas and Conservation lands are prohibited. Of course this doesn't apply here on LI as there are no state forests.

I was under the same impression, given I have land next to state land upstate and I thought it was allowed unless posted that it is prohibited (which it may in most areas). I would ask the local DEC official.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4081.html

As far as the DEC investigating. We've been plinking on our properties for years up there (hours at a time, mag dumps) and no one investigates. It's right next to state land with the designated "hunting, fishing, hiking" signs.

#7 hotglock

hotglock

Gun Guru

• 1179 posts

Posted August 23 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hmm I can't find in there where it says you can't

#8 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 12178 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted August 23 2013 - 05:05 PM

Apparently you can't where it's posted you can't. In looking it up I read that they do post that in a lot of areas. But otherwise if in compliance with local laws and it's not posted that you can't....

bb. No person shall possess breakable targets, including but not limited to clay pigeons, on State lands and no person shall target shoot at breakable targets, including but not limited to clay pigeons and glass containers, on State lands. Unless legally engaged in the act of hunting, no person shall discharge firearms on State lands posted or designated as closed to target shooting.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4081.html

#9 hotglock

hotglock

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1179 posts

Posted August 23 2013 - 05:18 PM

I didn't do well In school but what I am reading is that it's allowed as long as its not posted
  • TJ Ironhorse likes this

#10 hotglock

hotglock

Gun Guru

• 1179 posts

Posted August 24 2013 - 09:01 AM

I am up here now I will ask around.

#11 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38956 posts

Posted August 24 2013 - 11:04 PM

<strong class='bbc'>Automatic message</strong> - This topic has been moved from Chit-Chat to All Other Areas [Ranges]

#12 Ken_LI

Ken_LI

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 26 2020 - 10:15 AM

I do see several state forests on Long Island. (region 1)

https://www.dec.ny.g...ands/34531.html

I do not see any prohibition of target shooting for the ones I looked at.

I find it a little hard to believe this would be allowed on LI, but I can’t find any statement prohibiting it. I would love to target shoot with 22 shorts and avoid the crowds at the ranges.

#13 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11165 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 26 2020 - 04:14 PM

I find it a little hard to believe this would be allowed on LI, but I can’t find any statement prohibiting it. I would love to target shoot with 22 shorts and avoid the crowds at the ranges.

Check with the Town where these forests are located. A place where people have been arrested that I know of was in Yaphank. Can’t shoot rifles!

#14 phumb

phumb

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: ,
  • 2565 posts

Posted August 27 2020 - 06:04 AM

NO discharge of rifle anywhere but range on LI

#15 Charlie-NY

Charlie-NY

Respected Gunowner

• 150 posts

Posted August 28 2020 - 08:38 AM

Many towns have a "no discharge" law on the books. It typically has (but not always) an exception for lawful hunting pursuant to the ECL and/or a discharge pursuant to the penal law.

You would be well advised to determine the legal requirements/limitations in the municipality that you would like to shoot in.

#16 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11165 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 28 2020 - 09:50 AM

Many towns have a "no discharge" law on the books. It typically has (but not always) an exception for lawful hunting pursuant to the ECL and/or a discharge pursuant to the penal law.

You would be well advised to determine the legal requirements/limitations in the municipality that you would like to shoot in.

Many local laws in villages in New York do not allow hunting. The only discharge permitted is by a Police Officer in his performance of duty.

#17 Ken_LI

Ken_LI

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 28 2020 - 05:43 PM

Makes me wonder if a state forest is under the jurisdiction of a neighboring town?

#18 cprstn54

cprstn54

Sharp Shooter!

• 324 posts
  • LocationCenterport, NY

Posted August 29 2020 - 07:46 AM

I asked DEC for target archery and was advised that it is prohibited an all state lands.

#19 Mak45

Mak45

Gun Guru

• 2384 posts

Posted August 29 2020 - 01:35 PM

There is NO target shooting with a handgun, rifle or shotgun on LI State forest. You can contact DEC/ ECO to verify. 

A lot of people use LI State forest for hiking, biking, walks, etc...    

(A shotgun is the only firearm (besides a bow) allowed for hunting on LI. And it's ONLY during the specified hunting season in a designated area. Hunting is not allowed in all areas (forest) of LI.) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: target, shooting, on, state, land

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users