advice on a/c unit for the basement - DIY - Home Improvements - More - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

advice on a/c unit for the basement

advice on ac unit for the basement

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 rc328

rc328

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 121 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 02:52 PM

Good day,
I Would like to thank you guys in advance, this forum has been a great resource of "trusted" information from ammo to issues at home. Thanks Again
I'm looking for a portable a\c unit for my basement, is way to hot there and I'm looking to cool it down a bit plus circulate the air . My house doesn't have central air.
I have been doing reseach for hrs and is a lot of confusing information. Any of you have any experience with portables a\c , any good brand or model that gets the job done for aprox 250-300 sqf?
i was looking at units at homedepot, loews, BJ, costco.

Thanks

rob

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 CAP1974

CAP1974

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others:
  • 1788 posts
  • LocationMassapequa

Posted July 23 2013 - 02:56 PM

Why not a ductless split system, I think that would be the best way to go. It can also provide heat and it is very quiet.
  • NorthForkSportsman and Schoen like this

#3 davygoat2

davygoat2

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 600 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted July 23 2013 - 03:08 PM

measure the window and go to PC Richards, A/C units are dime a dozen these days.
talk to the salesmen, they will steer you away from the units that don't hold up.
Remember they have to listen to their customers "OOPS" when the unit craps out

#4 DonTreadOnMe

DonTreadOnMe

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 185 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 03:15 PM

+1 ductless mini split

#5 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 36800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 23 2013 - 03:22 PM

How big is the window?

If not large enough there's those portable ones that you can cut out an piece of plywood and put the duct there to blow out the hot air.

Here's overstock's latest stock for 250/300 (9000 btu). Remember your in a basement, so it will hold the cool air better than upstairs. No need to buy a 150000 btu unit.. : http://www.overstock...689/subcat.html

Something like this:

Posted Image
  • Mad Russian likes this

#6 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12178 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted July 23 2013 - 03:27 PM

I've been having the same concern for a 500 sq ft home theater I've been building in a large walk out basement/lower level. The basement has 8 ft ceilings and baseboard heating so it's 35%RH in the winter/fall, but in the summer I have dehumidifiers running and they dump heat back in (there's CA upstairs so it's weird having the lower level warmer, although quite dry).

The most cost effective simple solutions I found:

1) traditional small in-window unit. In basement window well. Has to be short enough to clear the window well, and make sure you have the gravel cleared for drainage. Also you may have to build around the window opening depending on your basement window type.

small, remote control, cost effective for small area

http://www.homedepot...00#.Ue7mv20pkrg

2) Portable Air conditioners, the type with the duct like the Architect posted. Vent out the window, again maybe fineagle some carpentry and caulk to fill in the gap depending on the window configuration (and with some carpentry skills, dap and paint it should look better than the factory insert).

effective, portable, dehumidifier function, remote

http://www.homedepot...77#.Ue7mnm0pkrg

http://www.homedepot...00#.Ue7mv20pkrg

Edited by Destro, July 23 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#7 hawkeye

hawkeye

Gunecologist

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2261 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted July 23 2013 - 03:30 PM

PC RICHARDS!

#8 heartlessmcfly

heartlessmcfly

Avoiding the ban hammer!

• BBQ
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 17533 posts
  • Locationhuntington, ny

Posted July 23 2013 - 03:32 PM

Split unit

#9 FastFaller

FastFaller

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2801 posts
  • LocationFree America - NH

Posted July 23 2013 - 03:40 PM

Split unit

Anyone know prices on split unit ductless installed? I already have a 30 amp 220 line run outside for it.

#10 heartlessmcfly

heartlessmcfly

Avoiding the ban hammer!

• BBQ
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 17533 posts
  • Locationhuntington, ny

Posted July 23 2013 - 03:41 PM

Anyone know prices on split unit ductless installed? I already have a 30 amp 220 line run outside for it.

Not sure the cost of the unit or labor but you are going to have to downfuse that breaker to a 2 pole 20. 99% of the time, it's a 240v 20amp condenser.
  • The Architect likes this

#11 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12178 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 03:44 PM

Depends on the brand, BTU etc. around 1 to 4+ grand plus labor.

Some brands run under a grand, but if you want a Mitsubishi ductless you'll pay though they are great. Here are some examples for pricing...

http://www.air-n-wat...m/split_air.htm

https://www.acwholes...CFQai4Aod43oAyA

http://www.homedepot...46#.Ue7qfW0pkrg

Edited by Destro, July 23 2013 - 03:46 PM.

• Mad Russian likes this

#12 mikester

mikester

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1476 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 03:51 PM

Holy crap ! Those are pretty cheap prices compared to the quote that I just got. I just had the main floor of my house done by the same guy that did my upstairs a few years ago. While he was here I asked him about a unit like that for my 22x30 garage. He gave me a price of 4K which I thought was crazy to spend. I already have heat out there, I just wanted to cool it off in this kind of weather. Guess I better get some more prices.

#13 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12178 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 04:00 PM

Holy crap ! Those are pretty cheap prices compared to the quote that I just got. I just had the main floor of my house done by the same guy that did my upstairs a few years ago. While he was here I asked him about a unit like that for my 22x30 garage. He gave me a price of 4K which I thought was crazy to spend. I already have heat out there, I just wanted to cool it off in this kind of weather. Guess I better get some more prices.

Note those are some of the lower end units. I'm not an ac guy so I don't know what those brands reps are (are they considered crap?)The mitsubishi ductless (which I had in a past house and was awesome) are not super expensive anymore either.

Here is a 12,000 BTU mitsu for $1,500 and free shipping
http://www.nationala...CFdKj4AodJFwALQ

here is a 9000 btu Mr. Slim (set of 4) for about $4,500
http://ingramswatera...CFUqk4AodgCkAMA

I guess if you throw in labor and local contractor pricing on the units and you're looking at a few grand minimum no matter what unit.

#14 willgrah

willgrah

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1254 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 04:01 PM

The floor units like the Architect posted work. I have one in my basement, runs just on dehumidify all the time, does a great job bringing the temp down and taking the moisture out. Mine is a Sharp Whisper Quiet model 10000 btu purchased at PC Richards. Just make sure if you go that route that it comes with enough hose to get to you basement window. The hoses that they supply are not the same dimensions as dryer vent so you will be stuck with the hardware they provide with the unit. If you have generous basement windows window units are more efficient but they just would not work out for me.

#15 Fastphil

Fastphil

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 04:02 PM

Why not a ductless split system, I think that would be the best way to go. It can also provide heat and it is very quiet.

. ^ This

#16 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 12178 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 04:24 PM

CAP1974, on July 23 2013 - 03:56 PM, said: Why not a ductless split system, I think that would be the best way to go. It can also provide heat and it is very quiet.

. ^ This

The only reason is $$$. The OP is talking about a 250 sq foot area (small) in a house with no CAC.

You can easily cool that effectively with a nice portable air conditioner for $300-500 or even an in window $289 unit (can even look nice if the work is done right) rather than spend thousands for a small basement area.
  • The Architect and gettingfedup like this

#17 rc328

rc328

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 121 posts

Posted July 23 2013 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I have ordered from home depot, hopefully this should work fine.

http://www.homedepot...77#.Ue71qNjwF8E
  • The Architect likes this

#18 airbrushart

airbrushart

airbrushart

• Club LIF Member
  • 5514 posts
  • Locationspace the final frontier

Posted July 23 2013 - 04:35 PM

I have a standard basement window and went to PC Richard and found a unit that fits with a little amount of woodworking to close off the sides and since it is in the back of the house next to the deck I made a small cover over it to keep the rain, snow dirt off of it, works great and since basements are cooler to begin with it cools off quickly. Reloading in A/C comfort is nice.

#19 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted July 23 2013 - 04:41 PM

In the past I have used a small window ac and it's worked fine.

#20 R Urban

R Urban

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 345 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 23 2013 - 04:42 PM

I use a window unit much less than those portable ones and like others said a basement doesn't heat up as fast. Just replaced it a 7-8 year old 5850btu unit with an 8000btu unit a couple weeks ago. It's just about the same size and more efficient than the old one. Got it at PC Richards.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: advice, on, ac, unit, for, the, basement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users