Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

14K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  RSL 
#1 ·
I'm new to this forum and new to shooting in general. I was looking for a range and/or a club near to me. I came accross Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club on google. Just wondering if anyone who is already a member could give me some information? I did speak to Gary already and found out that you need to be sponsored by an existing member in order to be considered for membership.

Thanks in advance for any help/information.

#2 ·
Welcome! I know many folks who are members here. Become welcome to the forum, soon enough you'll find a sponsor

#6 ·
First Welcome to the forum, I'm a member of the old bethpage range, the range has 13 pistol points and 2 rifle tubes that are 100 yards. The range is located below ground in West Babylon on Kean St. Currently there are no openings for new members, applications for new members start in September until December no applications are kept on file after December so that means if you sent in an application and all spots are filed your application goes in the trash until the following year. You also must be sponsered be a current member in good standing to send in an application. The range is a nice place to shoot, but has a no guest policy other than family members. It is possible to get in but diffecult if you don't know a member.

#7 ·
The BoD made a minor change, to the application process. Now, because of the number of applications we receive, every year, they have decided to take applications only during August, with interviews in Sept or Oct, possibly into January, if openings still remain, all from the August apps.
Gary

#12 ·
Gary,

Thank you for the information and quick response. I'm assuming BoD doesn't have an open house like Freeport R&R where I would have a chance to introduce myself to other members and possibly find a sponsor possibly for next years application, if so please let me know. I am of course registered to vote, an NRA member and will become a member of Nassau County Fish & Game Assn.

On a side note, if anyone here is a member and into car shows or having some home computer issues please reach out to me. I live and work very local to the range so I'm open to meeting up for coffee. Just to let you know a little about me, I own a computer repair business so my passion is technology and american muscle cars/trucks. Just throwing this out there in case there are any other TBSS owners on here but I am one also.

Regards,
Chris

Reactions: thaw
#13 ·
Welcome! Freeport R&R is a good backup plan if you cant get into Old Bethpage. http://www.freeportrevolver.org/ I've been a member since March, indoor and outdoor points, 24 hour member access, check it out.
And we hope you are registered to vote!
Joeydiver,

Thank you for the info and I will look into it. It's just that Old Bethapge Rifle & Pistol Club is literally a few minutes away from my home it makes it incredibly convenient.

Chris

#24 ·
Don't mean to ressurrect a yr old thread but I was about to post the same question as the OP. I'm going to swing by on 9/1 to get an application, do you guys who are members there know of any openings this year?

Thanks brothers

#27 ·
I am a member at Michael Britt Firearms & a few weeks ago I met someone from the Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club. He told me all about the range. I apologize but I don't recall his name. Nonetheless I would like to know if I would be able to join the club. I live in Plainview
I would appreciate a response. If you prefer my cell # is 917-592-7395

Thanks
Jeff

#29 ·
Jeff:
We eliminated the waiting list, several years ago, because it simply became too long. Some folks had been on it, for as much as 5 years and, when they were called, for an interview, they had either forgotten about it or no longer wanted to join.
Now, we start fresh, each year, with applicant submissions.
We open the membership, to new applicants, once, each year, in August. All applicants must be interviewed, then accepted, by the Board of Directors, before being brought before the general membership, for their vote. All prospective members must be sponsored, by a club member, who has known the applicant, for at least 6 months. Members are limited to two applicant sponsorships, per year and must agree to act as that new member's surety, during his/her probationary year. If, during the new member's probationary year, s/he breaks any of the rules, his/her sponsor loses his/her ability to sponsor anyone, for the following year.
Membership is limited, by our bylaws, to 200. The location is on Kean Street, off Edison Ave., in West Babylon, in a custom-constructed building, within an industrial park. The building looks like just another of the factory/industrial buildings in that area, making it impossible for anyone to tell it's not anything else.
We normally hold our first and last applicants' interview meeting, in September or October, each year, depending on the number of applications we receive. At this point, if you have a sponsor, you can complete an application, for inclusion on the interview list. Typically, we start accepting applications, on August 1st, ending on August 31st.
All applicants must be NRA members. We require your NRA membership number, which we verify, each year, as a condition of continued membership. We also very strongly recommend that you be a member of your county sportsmen's/women's federation (Nassau County Fish & Game Assn or Suffolk Alliance of Sportsmen, Inc.), to be a member of Old Bethpage. We couldn't care less, whether you're a member of NYSRPA.

We have an indoor-only facility with:
12 handgun/rimfire rifle points, to fifty (50) feet,
1 FMJ/magnum handgun/rimfire rifle point, to seventy five (75) feet,
2 centerfire rifle tubes, to 100 yards (300 feet),
2 indoor areas, which can be utilized as classrooms:
1. the upstairs room can easily accommodate 50 students, plus staff and
2. the downstairs room (adjacent to and shielded from the shooting ranges) can accommodate 80 students, plus staff,
there are separate male and female rest rooms (one each),
there is a telephone facility (pay phone) on premises; cellular service is, also, excellent,
1st year's dues are $390; thereafter, dues are $250, per year, plus participation in a work party. If you do not participate in the work party, there is a $100 surcharge to your dues.
New members are required to participate in:
1) a firearms training course, provided, at no charge, by the club and
2) a work party (the members perform 99% of the maintenance and repair work, which helps to keep the costs down).

It's an electronic card-key club, so you can pretty much come and go, as you please. However, we do have a lockout time, from 11pm, until 6am, everyday, during which no one may enter the facility but, if you're already in, no problem.
Typically, we have 8~10 openings but receive 30~45 applications, each year.
You can call me, at the office, 9am~4:30pm, M~F, at (631) 226 7202, if you have any additional questions.
Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.