2013 Nassau County Range Fees - Page 3 - Nassau County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

2013 Nassau County Range Fees

nassau county range fees

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Sheriff Andy

Sheriff Andy

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 325 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted January 08 2013 - 04:02 PM

Nassau County taxes are among the highest in the country. Sorry if I don't share the same favorable opinions of the range like some of you guys that live in your mother's basement. That range is a disgrace! It needs to be bulldozed and rebuilt. My taxes support that range and I've gone there countless times only to be shut out because some police organization is monopolizing all the point. The police have their own dedicated ranges throughout the county; this is a public range. Go out of state and visit some other indoor ranges and you'll see what a stink hole Mitchell Field really is.

Yeah and the guy approached me about buying brass when he saw me sweeping up my own. That recycled brass reduces the cost of running the range. And yeah I have a problem with him putting the county's money in his pocket.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 Tonto

Tonto

Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?

• Club LIF Member
  • 11589 posts
  • LocationBeen there, done that

Posted January 08 2013 - 04:07 PM

See range rule#4. cant shoot a pistol unless its on your CCW.
Brought the wife (new CCW) and 4 pistols to try to see the best fit before buying one.
Was told she could not handle my pistols. see rule #4, its a safety issue.
So I asked how so, that I am a RO, I will be standing next to my wife, instructing her, and I will be sure she is safe.
Sorry, its a range rule.
So I ask the nice young man, how is it more safer for a new shooter with no training, never held a pistol before, to get his first pistol, and come down and shoot?
The reply was, I know its stupid, but its a range rule.
My wife was a member of Freeport the next week.
Im not a fan.

Freeport range regulation is all indoor shooting at 50 feet. Hard to instruct at that distance.

Uh...I believe he was talking about Mitchell Field, as that is what this thread is about, not Freeport.

Edited by Tonto, January 08 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#43 len349

len349

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 1305 posts
  • LocationNassau county

Posted January 08 2013 - 04:22 PM

I wouldn't complain about the range. I'm usually there a couple times a week. It's a decent range and the people that work there are very nice.

I understand why people get upset about increases. I don't like it either. But this is a fact of life in Nassau County. We're lucky to have what we do. There's a lot more things--and worse things--to complain about. Let's face it. Our lovely politicians and the system make this one of the most corrupt--and bankrupt--counties in the country.

If I had to complain about something, it would be the lack of another public range in nassau with indoor and outdoor facilities. I know---when pigs fly!

#44 dodgeram

dodgeram

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 553 posts
  • LocationHicksville/Uniondale

Posted January 08 2013 - 04:30 PM

See range rule#4. cant shoot a pistol unless its on your CCW.
Brought the wife (new CCW) and 4 pistols to try to see the best fit before buying one.
Was told she could not handle my pistols. see rule #4, its a safety issue.
So I asked how so, that I am a RO, I will be standing next to my wife, instructing her, and I will be sure she is safe.
Sorry, its a range rule.
So I ask the nice young man, how is it more safer for a new shooter with no training, never held a pistol before, to get his first pistol, and come down and shoot?
The reply was, I know its stupid, but its a range rule.
My wife was a member of Freeport the next week.
Im not a fan.

There are a few rules that are in the works to be changed(that being one of them), but these things take time, legal issues.
  • The Architect, Joebar99, FULL METAL JACKET and 1 other like this

#45 TTSkipper

TTSkipper

• Established Member
  • 5582 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 08 2013 - 04:33 PM

Nassau County taxes are among the highest in the country. Sorry if I don't share the same favorable opinions of the range like some of you guys that live in your mother's basement. That range is a disgrace! It needs to be bulldozed and rebuilt. My taxes support that range and I've gone there countless times only to be shut out because some police organization is monopolizing all the point. The police have their own dedicated ranges throughout the county; this is a public range. Go out of state and visit some other indoor ranges and you'll see what a stink hole Mitchell Field really is.

Yeah and the guy approached me about buying brass when he saw me sweeping up my own. That recycled brass reduces the cost of running the range. And yeah I have a problem with him putting the county's money in his pocket.

You are welcome to your opinion. I am sure that there are nicer indoor ranges however how many are owned by the county and are not privately owned. The county could close the range to all public access and make it LEO only and then it would be no different to the dedicated ranges you mentioned. This is the only public range in Nassau, do you want them to close it tot he public? Where are those LEO only ranges by the way?

As for the guy offering to sell you brass, I agree with you there. Making a side deal to put money in his own pocket is cutting the county short and it should be considered the same as theft and the employee terminated if it can be proved.

It is also good to hear that the rule about shooting someones gun other than your own may be changed. Thanks DodgeRam for the update.

Edited by TTSkipper, January 08 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#46 bpk1

bpk1

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 781 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 04:40 PM

I've never had any issues there beyond it being too hot during the summers. Which in some ways I can understand; it isn't as simple as put an ac into each room as you have to keep in mind that air must be circulated. If cold air was pumped in from the points, it would be going out downrange. That's a very costly system, and before you say put in an air purification system downrange so that AC'd air can be reused, that costs $$$ too. The one big improvement I would love to see being done is to update the backstops to take FMJ rifle rounds.

The employees there have always been great to me, and anyone I brought with me. I can deal with a $3 increase for the convenience, maybe those who are worried about $3 shouldn't be buying ammo or going to a range at all...
  • TTSkipper likes this

#47 mudboneblue

mudboneblue

Marksman

• Club LIF Member
  • 91 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 04:45 PM

If cost at Mitchel field is a concern to a few, then why dont you come down and shoot on the first Wednesday of the month and get the benefits of dollar cost averaging. We have two rooms booked to accomodate LIF members....I think we have been shooting 2 hrs for a few bucks during the last two meetups.

#48 Vycor

Vycor

Gun Guru

• 1867 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 04:52 PM

Ehh $10 is still an OK fee... i mean Im hoping that extra money goes to paying for some fixings there though... maybe an AC unit in the waiting area/hallwy at the very least.

I dont understand why we have to pay $200 for a pistol permit, and its $10 in suffolk. And then on top of that suffolk residents can't even shoot there for the $10 fee... It should be the same for anybody on long island, doesnt seem fair to me...

Edited by Vycor, January 08 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#49 Petie

Petie

Old Guys Rule

• Established Member
  • 2226 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 05:06 PM

2 buddies and myself paid the 22 each today, and had an excellent hour plus shooting. I did said hey, since when is it 22???, when we were asked for payment. The lady said as of today. An extra 2 bucks to keep the place open is fine with me if that is what it takes. They have a good vent system, I never blow burnt black power crap out my nose after leaving. 250 rounds of 223, 200 rounds of 45 and a hunderd or so of 22.....and only take my brass home. No black buggies today either. Anything in the bins I don't touch. Whatever they want to do with it, that is up to them. I think we got our monies worth for 66 bucks.

#50 Scratch1Flattop

Scratch1Flattop

Respected Gunowner

• 245 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 05:18 PM

How strict are they on the 1 hour time limit? If you leave after an hour +20 min do they charge? Do they call you out after an hour?

LISC charges by the hour but I've often gone over, maybe close to 2 hrs and no one ever says anything.

Calverton-$15..shoot all day. Almost too good to be true.

#51 Petie

Petie

Old Guys Rule

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 2226 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 05:23 PM

They announce it on the speaker usually about 10 minutes to go, that you have 10 minutes left. Today after about 1hr 15 min they said 2 c,d,e times up lets go. We fired off what was left in the guns. Unloaded the clips, packed up , wiped down and left. Told them thank you walking by the window, they said your welcome anytime ...washed our hands and was gone. It really depends on how crowded it is, like on the weekends and holidays. Today was empty.

Edited by Petie, January 08 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#52 dodgeram

dodgeram

Gun Guru

• 553 posts
  • LocationHicksville/Uniondale

Posted January 08 2013 - 05:26 PM

How strict are they on the 1 hour time limit? If you leave after an hour +20 min do they charge? Do they call you out after an hour?

LISC charges by the hour but I've often gone over, maybe close to 2 hrs and no one ever says anything.

Calverton-$15..shoot all day. Almost too good to be true.

If there are people waiting for a range you will be notified at the hour, there are times when it's not that busy that you get some extra time.

#53 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• 36800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 08 2013 - 05:34 PM

If cost at Mitchel field is a concern to a few, then why dont you come down and shoot on the first Wednesday of the month and get the benefits of dollar cost averaging. We have two rooms booked to accomodate LIF members....I think we have been shooting 2 hrs for a few bucks during the last two meetups.

This is open ONLY to 2013 CLUB LIF (card carrying) members! :)
  • Knight Rider likes this

#54 Knight Rider

Knight Rider

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 8990 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 08 2013 - 05:34 PM

If there are people waiting for a range you will be notified at the hour, there are times when it's not that busy that you get some extra time.

+1

There has been plenty of times I get more then a hour.
  • Joebar99 likes this

#55 Bigrich693

Bigrich693

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 156 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 05:41 PM

Truthfully, i am A little upset about the monetary increase, but it will not deter me from going. As someone already said , the RO's are actually pretty cool. Gave me and my friends free ear plugs one time after they were forgotten. Other ranges would have jumped at th opportunity to rip you off! Either way, I will still go every week!

#56 Edward_Blake

Edward_Blake

The Artist formally known as AR_Guy

• Club LIF Member
  • 6913 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 06:12 PM

I shoot there often. I am happy to have a nice range local to me. I'm ok with the slight price increase. If I was worried about $3, I shouldn't be wasting ammo. They have their rules, follow the rules and it's fine. I pick up my brass and have never had an issue.

The staff has always been nice to me.
  • glocklife and Tonto like this

#57 carbons2k

carbons2k

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 112 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 03:16 PM

How so u get an LIF CARD?

Also I just came back from MF and it was great. When I got there I signed in and was told 30 mins wait time. After about 10 mins he called my name. Shot my 15-22 for an hour and everyone was cool there. Since I'm new at this, I aske a few questions about dialing my scope and the people there were really helpful. So... 1 mag 10 rounds each I got off about 100 round before I got tired of reloading. Only gripe is my target fell off as I was reeling it in after my last mag. Oh well. And he stuck me between 2 shot guns. No biggie but kept me on my toes for an hour! Lol can't wait to go back again!

#58 carbons2k

carbons2k

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 112 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 03:17 PM

Also I just came back from MF and it was great. When I got there I signed in and was told 30 mins wait time. After about 10 mins he called my name. Shot my 15-22 for an hour and everyone was cool there. Since I'm new at this, I aske a few questions about dialing my scope and the people there were really helpful. So... 1 mag 10 rounds each I got off about 100 round before I got tired of reloading. Only gripe is my target fell off as I was reeling it in after my last mag. Oh well. And he stuck me between 2 shot guns. No biggie but kept me on my toes for an hour! Lol can't wait to go back again!

#59 Knight Rider

Knight Rider

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 8990 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 12 2013 - 03:18 PM

You have to join Club LIF. On the top of this page you will see a tab that says membership. Click it.

#60 DesertFrog

DesertFrog

Gun Guru

• 539 posts
  • LocationWantagh. LI

Posted January 12 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'm good with paying 10$ instead of 7$ for the only range that I can shoot everything I own in Nassau.

I used to shoot at a private range up north, 22 and pistol rounds only. Not very fun.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nassau, county, range, fees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users