2013 Nassau County Range Fees - Page 2 - Nassau County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

2013 Nassau County Range Fees

nassau county range fees

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 FULL METAL JACKET

FULL METAL JACKET

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 24899 posts
  • Location"Sandpit"

Posted January 08 2013 - 01:25 PM

I disagree. There's a balance to be had everywhere, and while there is some supervision at Calverton, I stopped going in 2005, having been a regular there since the mid-1970's when I was a kid.

I was tired of being muzzle swept, having guns handled during cease fires, someone resuming fire while I was downrange, having my guns picked up and handled without my permission while I was shooting etc. The crowd there leaves a lot to be desired.

While those things are inexcusable, every range has issues...

Tons of people here frequent there daily/weekly without incident...

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 joey52685

joey52685

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 661 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 08 2013 - 01:30 PM

I disagree. There's a balance to be had everywhere, and while there is some supervision at Calverton, I stopped going in 2005, having been a regular there since the mid-1970's when I was a kid.

I was tired of being muzzle swept, having guns handled during cease fires, someone resuming fire while I was downrange, having my guns picked up and handled without my permission while I was shooting etc. The crowd there leaves a lot to be desired.

Wow, I've never seen anything like that happen at Calverton even on busy days. And if I did I would immediately correct such behavior and educate that person, and I'd expect the other shooters around me to have my back when I did.
  • FULL METAL JACKET likes this

#23 bigbore44

bigbore44

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 3948 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 08 2013 - 01:32 PM

I have never had any negative issues at Mitchell Field. The staff has always been courteous, and the place is clean, well lit, and the air quality is fine(except when someones going at it with a 12GA shotgun repeatedly, but it IS a range) etc. As for the temps in the summertime, I just don't go. That's my choice.

#24 PatPend

PatPend

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 274 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 01:32 PM

I wouldn't mind Nassau so much if when you pay for an hour you actually got an hour. Last time I was there, between the time it took to check in and set up I was lucky to get 45 minutes of shooting in before the whistle blew.

#25 FLOPPYSJ

FLOPPYSJ

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 01:51 PM

I like Mitchell, it works for me. It's near and easy to get by. Now if they could use that extra fee to buy an A/C during the summer then that place would be much better. Staff are decent too.

#26 Sheriff Andy

Sheriff Andy

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 325 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted January 08 2013 - 02:23 PM

The only thing that bothers me about Mitchell field is if they see you dipping into the spent brass bin located in each room they will warn you but meanwhile I know for fact there is at least one guy that works there that takes cash on the sly and passes the brass from the blue drums in the adjacent storage room onto those willing to pay.

That's right, I said it and I stick by it.

#27 FULL METAL JACKET

FULL METAL JACKET

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 24899 posts
  • Location"Sandpit"

Posted January 08 2013 - 02:32 PM

The only thing that bothers me about Mitchell field is if they see you dipping into the spent brass bin located in each room they will warn you but meanwhile I know for fact there is at least one guy that works there that takes cash on the sly and passes the brass from the blue drums in the adjacent storage room onto those willing to pay.

Following the rules bothers you? Smh

#28 Knight Rider

Knight Rider

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 8990 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 08 2013 - 02:43 PM

These comments are priceless... Lets just close this place up so we have NO public ranges in Nassau... Smh

And before you make comments criticizing the employees, take two seconds to think that maybe, just maybe the guy who was nice enough to start the thread works there

Thank you Scott... Keep up the good work!!!

I agree with you 100% Jeff. I also cant believe some of these comments.

Even though I like paying $7 dollars, $10 dollars is still no big deal to fuss about.

Scott thank you for everything. You are always helpful and the other staff at MF is as well.

Edited by Knight Rider, January 08 2013 - 02:46 PM.

• malakaguy likes this

#29 CheeseSammich

CheeseSammich

Banned

• Banned
  • 389 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 02:45 PM

The only thing that bothers me...

Do you realize you have a photo of Larry Potterfield as your avatar? Do you know how ridiculous that is?

#30 bigtoyz

bigtoyz

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 427 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:11 PM

I admit being a little harsh in my previous post. There are a few nice people who work there. My post was out of frustration that we dont have any more choices for indoor rifle. I feel paying 20 was too much and now more? If the libs had their way this place would be closed too. I dont want to see that happen, even if they keep blowing hot air on us peasents. Sorry if I offened the op.

#31 Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Gun Guru

• 4034 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:15 PM

That's some accusation. This is not Brookhaven, where once the brass hits the floor, it belongs to the range. I've had over anxious people sweep up the brass behind me while shooting, as they weren't aware I save my brass. And then had to retrieve it from the bin. No one came charging in saying I was doing wrong.
And to claim someone would risk their county job, to make a few dollars on the side is ludicrous. I know that there are cameras in the brass room, including night vision cameras. So any illegal activity would be recorded.

#32 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• 36800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:33 PM

Folks, this is the only county range in Nassau. With all going on locally right now with laws potentially changing etc. can you refrain from such negative comments. Would you rather the range close?

FYI: Club Members meetup at this location on a monthly basis. Staff there is top notch.
  • Edward_Blake, malakaguy, Joebar99 and 3 others like this

#33 Nick76

Nick76

Respected Gunowner

• 271 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:36 PM

LOL

Do you realize you have a photo of Larry Potterfield as your avatar? Do you know how ridiculous that is?

#34 Nick76

Nick76

Respected Gunowner

• 271 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:39 PM

If that range closes I am done. That is the main reason I chose riflery and gunnery.

#35 SULLYGUY

SULLYGUY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1646 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:43 PM

Never had any issues with anyone from MF and find the ROs to be friendly and helpful as needed. The increase in price doesn't bother me at all. Bring your own target and save money that way. There's a link on the forum for free targets you print out. If I can find anyone with a plotter, then we can get the big prints also

#36 hydtguy

hydtguy

just working to improve,one round at a time

• Established Member
  • 1680 posts
  • Locationplainview

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:46 PM

See range rule#4. cant shoot a pistol unless its on your CCW.
Brought the wife (new CCW) and 4 pistols to try to see the best fit before buying one.
Was told she could not handle my pistols. see rule #4, its a safety issue.
So I asked how so, that I am a RO, I will be standing next to my wife, instructing her, and I will be sure she is safe.
Sorry, its a range rule.
So I ask the nice young man, how is it more safer for a new shooter with no training, never held a pistol before, to get his first pistol, and come down and shoot?
The reply was, I know its stupid, but its a range rule.
My wife was a member of Freeport the next week.
Im not a fan.

#37 rtl402

rtl402

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • Others:
  • 1403 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:49 PM

Let me be clear in case there is anyone thinking I am putting anything against the range... as I stated before.. the range is clean. You can breathe when you exit. While Medford is close to me, I can only go to shoot pistol or 22, and the ventilation is problematic at times. MF is clean, I enjoyed the time I went there. But for a 45 min or so drive + $20/hr (now more) as a suffolk resident, I dont see the benefit in visiting the range much. As one who lives off a fixed salary, increased taxes and now increased prices on the hobby I enjoy.. I have to be a bit cost effective when I can. That being said, I like the range, but its just not for me at this time

#38 Sheriff Andy

Sheriff Andy

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 325 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:51 PM

WHAT? A PICTURE OF WHO?

#39 Sheriff Andy

Sheriff Andy

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 325 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 03:54 PM

See range rule#4. cant shoot a pistol unless its on your CCW.
Brought the wife (new CCW) and 4 pistols to try to see the best fit before buying one.
Was told she could not handle my pistols. see rule #4, its a safety issue.
So I asked how so, that I am a RO, I will be standing next to my wife, instructing her, and I will be sure she is safe.
Sorry, its a range rule.
So I ask the nice young man, how is it more safer for a new shooter with no training, never held a pistol before, to get his first pistol, and come down and shoot?
The reply was, I know its stupid, but its a range rule.
My wife was a member of Freeport the next week.
Im not a fan.

Freeport range regulation is all indoor shooting at 50 feet. Hard to instruct at that distance.

#40 JoeyPBasically

JoeyPBasically

Banned

• Banned
  • 3212 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted January 08 2013 - 04:01 PM

How do I block people? These newbies are starting to get on my nerves
  • TTSkipper, FULL METAL JACKET and Knight Rider like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nassau, county, range, fees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users