Model Rocketry Anyone? - Page 2 - All Other - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Model Rocketry Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4034 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 06:34 AM

In the good old days of my youth, my father used to take us to Mitchell field when it was still just an abandoned airport. There were model rocket clubs that would be there every so often, along with the model airplane clubs, go karts, etc. Many a rocket was lost there when we'd try to put in the maximum engine and watch it dissappear into the sky, never to be seen again. And many rocket failures on experimental homemade designs, including our rocket cars. But it was thrilling for us as kids.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 06:47 AM

Most of the time I launch them at a school .....

Are you a member of the Hezbollah Model Rocketry Association?   :P

That def did not sound right....

I did not grow up around here, but I thought model rocketry was mandatory for kids. Also, making potassium chlorate and vaseline, or styrofoam dissolved in gasoline, or a half dozen boxes of shaved off kitchen match head "incendiary payloads".

Come to think of it, I think MOST of the stuff we did as kids would get a person arrested today- or worse. But we never shot up the school and nobody hanged themselves over what some other kid wrote on facebook. So go figure....

#23 Dale Sr.

Dale Sr.

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 565 posts
  • LocationWantagh

Posted April 24 2012 - 08:02 AM

This link has a lot of model train/racecar info but some of them might sell rocket kits too.

http://www.bradcoweb...hobbystores.htm

Model planes and rockets were a common sight at Wantagh Park at one time.  It may still be allowed but from the posts I just read, it probably isn't.   :-/  Worth checking out anyway.

We started out at the Wantagh park since we can walk there and within minutes we had folks protesting this "dangerous" activity. I felt like Clint in Gran Torino with squinty eyes thinking "whats wrong with YOU people!!!"

What ever happened to good old fashion fun. Hell, when I was a kid I flew control line gas planes. "here kid, have some nitro methane fuel and go play".

#24 cu455

cu455

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1761 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 08:13 AM

A few weeks ago the toys r us at Green Aces Mall and they had starter kits. There was no price so I took it to the price scanner and it scanned FYR $2.  I bought the 3 which they had. I am not sure if it was a sale or a mistake but if anyone is in a toys r is they should check. Did any one else notice engine prices are riding quicker then ammo

#25 Lovemyglock

Lovemyglock

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5881 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 08:23 AM

We started out at the Wantagh park since we can walk there and within minutes we had folks protesting this "dangerous" activity. I felt like Clint in Gran Torino with squinty eyes thinking "whats wrong with YOU people!!!"

What ever happened to good old fashion fun. Hell, when I was a kid I flew control line gas planes. "here kid, have some nitro methane fuel and go play".

Forget the nitro -  my parents gave me a set of Jarts for Christmas one year.  What were those two thinking?!!!   ??)  (I still have them btw.  Does that make me a felon?  :P)

#26 wreckhog

wreckhog

Banned

• Banned
  • 8963 posts
  • LocationMcDonalds

Posted April 24 2012 - 08:37 AM

Steal this book, poor mans james bond, foxfire, yeah, lots of fun.

Are you a member of the Hezbollah Model Rocketry Association?   :P

That def did not sound right....

I did not grow up around here, but I thought model rocketry was mandatory for kids. Also, making potassium chlorate and vaseline, or styrofoam dissolved in gasoline, or a half dozen boxes of shaved off kitchen match head "incendiary payloads".

Come to think of it, I think MOST of the stuff we did as kids would get a person arrested today- or worse. But we never shot up the school and nobody hanged themselves over what some other kid wrote on facebook. So go figure....

I remember making gunpowder (holy black) as a kid. No danger there :)

#27 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 22005 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted April 24 2012 - 10:24 AM

I'm surprised they haven't banned model rockets! With the right adapter you can make it into a weapon...if you thought along those lines....

#28 wreckhog

wreckhog

Banned

• Banned
  • 8963 posts
  • LocationMcDonalds

Posted April 24 2012 - 10:31 AM

Next they will ban Mentos and Diet Coke.

#29 Localx

Localx

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • 246 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 10:52 AM

Level 1 rocket man here. Check out Rocketryforum.com for information on launches out east and upstate. We shoot off low power every weekend on some sod farms out east.

#30 Starman

Starman

APPLESEED RIFLEMAN NRA LIFE-ENDOWMENT MEMBER

• Established Member
  • 3076 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 04:34 PM

Level 1 rocket man here. Check out Rocketryforum.com for information on launches out east and upstate. We shoot off low power every weekend on some sod farms out east.

Thanks for the information Localx.

#31 LIGunner

LIGunner

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • 197 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 06:57 PM

In the good old days of my youth, my father used to take us to Mitchell field when it was still just an abandoned airport. There were model rocket clubs that would be there every so often, along with the model airplane clubs, go karts, etc. Many a rocket was lost there when we'd try to put in the maximum engine and watch it dissappear into the sky, never to be seen again. And many rocket failures on experimental homemade designs, including our rocket cars. But it was thrilling for us as kids.

I did the same thing with my father when I was a kid.  There is still a little piece of the old runway right by the Rifle Range.  Brings back memories every time I go there.

#32 cu455

cu455

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1761 posts

Posted July 02 2017 - 04:06 PM

Here is a pretty crazy model rocket story. In 2012 a guy shipped a 15ft rocket on greyhound. The rocket went missing and he posted about it in the thread below. The thread was started in 2012 but there is a bunch of new information about the rocket.

http://www.rocketryf...s-quot-250-SOLD

Today on a rocketry Facebook group someone posted a picture from a click bait article similar to this one "24 Amazing Things Found in Lost Luggage." The picture was only circulating for a few days, but I wonder how long ago it was taken. Apparently the rocket was brought to a store were they sell lost luggage. 

https://www.usatoday...nter/440905001/

Here is the picture which is now floating around. What a crazy way to find a lost rocket from 5 years ago.

636343482561192360--82A8191.jpg

Edited by cu455, July 02 2017 - 04:08 PM.

• Landlubber likes this

#33 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1746 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 02 2017 - 06:51 PM

I have a drone, that's as far as I get lol

#34 robertrusso

robertrusso

Respected Gunowner

• 167 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 03 2017 - 06:40 AM

This link has a lot of model train/racecar info but some of them might sell rocket kits too.

http://www.bradcoweb...hobbystores.htm

Model planes and rockets were a common sight at Wantagh Park at one time.  It may still be allowed but from the posts I just read, it probably isn't.   :-/  Worth checking out anyway.

I had a blast as a kid with model planes (on a string) walking in a circle flying it at Forest Park in Queens

• papester likes this

#35 Landlubber

Landlubber

Sharp Shooter!

• 350 posts
  • LocationNassau NY

Posted July 03 2017 - 10:35 AM

Did it when I was a kid (early teens), in later teen years we learned to make our own solid fuel motors and used up most of a "beanbag" chair for the polyethylene beads for fuel cores.  At that point we got into a bit of a competitive phase with "bigger is better" and our rockets came to better be described as amateur fireworks.  Then I moved to the East Coast my last year of HS and there was just no opportunity to rekindle that hobby. (No place to fly, no new friends that were into it, no job so no cash, etc.) 

I think it was very educational, but I also realize there was a certain amount of luck involved due to the fact I have all my fingers.

#36 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6479 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted July 03 2017 - 09:44 PM

A lot of comments from old (banned) friends on this thread.

#37 BrewKnow

BrewKnow

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 04 2017 - 12:21 AM

Wow, I just happen to be going through my second rebirth with Rocketry, absolutely loved it as a kid, became a born again in the late 90's with the High Power Stuff, and now I'm all over it again, playing some serious catch up.

I was literally just searching for Farmland out East and this thread showed up in the search engine, I took a double take when I saw LIF, and then I just had to post.

I just found out last week that My Level 1 and Level 2 certifications expired a long ass time ago, but I still have both of the rockets I certified with. I'm going to rejoin Tripoli (rocket association that certifies high power rocketry) and get certified again.

I was in the LIARS, ( Long Island Advanced Rocketry Society ), and still would be if we didn't lose our flying field. (Between the Sod farm and Grumman on Edwards Ave)

The last time I flew the big stuff I had to drive down to Maryland... Amd as it turns out the National meet was there a few months ago, and I missed it of course.

If Anybody knows someone with a good size chunk of land out east ( or anywhere reasonable) who would allow some rockets being shot from their land Please let me know.

We were all legit, sanctioned by the national orginization, Insured, took care of the FAA waiver etc..., I think we even paid for the port-a-potty, (or split it with the R/C club there) and probably threw a couple bucks to the land owner as well. We used to get a good turnout and would meet maybe 6 months out of the year or so...

I'll stop now, that's a long enough post...

-Bruno

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users