Model Rocketry Anyone? - All Other - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Model Rocketry Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Starman

Starman

APPLESEED RIFLEMAN NRA LIFE-ENDOWMENT MEMBER

• Established Member
  • 3076 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:01 PM

Any model Rocketeers out there? I have been into model rockets since the '60's. Was firing them off last year with my son and some of his friends in a field near me until someone called the police to complain and now i need a new place to launch.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Mafia Al

Mafia Al

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1386 posts
  • LocationMiddle Island

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:03 PM

I use to with my father back in the day, but no where near here.

#3 wreckhog

wreckhog

Banned

• Banned
  • 8963 posts
  • LocationMcDonalds

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:04 PM

Used to build Estes as a kid, honestly I have not seen them sold in toy stores in decades. Now I shoot muzzleloaders for the same sort of thrill.
  • highdice likes this

#4 Piper

Piper

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1491 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:04 PM

What were they complaining about?

#5 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 22005 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:05 PM

Michaels in Massapequa has a few kits and motors in stock.

#6 The Big Ox

The Big Ox

Warm, Caring Nurturer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 6050 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:16 PM

This being New York, it probably irked them to see people having fun...

• grifhunter, boss351 and Landlubber like this

#7 Starman

Starman

• Established Member
  • 3076 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:19 PM

I think they were afraid we were terrorists or something.  The officer very politely told me of the complaint and since he could plainly see we were just out there having fun in the park on a beautiful summers day, he did not ask us to leave.  We had already launched many rockets so we decided to call it a day and left on our own accord.  The officer was fascinated by the model rockets and said he was going to see if his children would like to try the hobby.
  • Parashooter likes this

#8 GasKing

GasKing

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Donated Member

• 1195 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:21 PM

Cops for a model rocket?  God bless ny. They probably treated tge situation like you were operating a missile silo with nukes

#9 cu455

cu455

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 1761 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:24 PM

Most of the time I launch them at a school or the beach. Some times I launch them at a park which shares a parking lot with a police station and they never said anything to me. If you have been using the field for awhile and this is the first complaint go back.

#10 Starman

Starman

• Established Member
  • 3076 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:28 PM

Cops for a model rocket?  God bless ny. They probably treated tge situation like you were operating a missile silo with nukes

We were really nervous when we saw the cop car pull up and the officer walked towards us but he couldn't have been more understanding and polite. With a sense of being sorry for having to bother us with this he told us of the complaint.  At least that's how I interpreted his manner and speech.

#11 koolkat

koolkat

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • 2435 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:31 PM

Tried it once. It flew up a few feet, fell apart and crashed. I picked it up and it said

"Made in North Korea" ;D
  • grifhunter and boss351 like this

#12 Starman

Starman

• Established Member
  • 3076 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:33 PM

Tried it once. It flew up a few feet, fell apart and crashed. I picked it up and it said

"Made in North Korea" ;D

:pmsl

#13 Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4034 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 08:52 PM

Would fly them at some of the larger high schools, usually come summer break. Plenty of hobby stores sell them. They can even be found in some Walmart stores. I have a big 4ft rocket that uses an Aerotech E engine. When that takes off it sounds and makes enough smoke like a real rocket. Always an eye opener when people saw me pull it out of my truck. But at $15/engine, flew it very little.

#14 CaptainMitchell

CaptainMitchell

Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.

• Club LIF Member
  • 6226 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 09:02 PM

I made and flew a few years ago. Still have them in the garage. A buddy of mine in PA currently holds a Level 2 Certification in High Power Rocketry. Built some nice 6-8 footers that get some serious height.

#15 Skope

Skope

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1374 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 09:46 PM

I used to love building and flying them back in the day. I'd get everything I needed from the old Larry's hobbies and launch the rockets in an elementary school field by where I grew up. Good times!  :)

#16 liseverewx

liseverewx

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1690 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 09:53 PM

I was into model rocketry was when I was younger too....built the Estes models with the small engines B and C size IIRC.  I remember one model I bought took pictures on 110 speed film.  It was pretty cool.  Still see the models in hobby stores around here.

#17 CaptainMitchell

CaptainMitchell

Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.

• Club LIF Member
  • 6226 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 10:28 PM

I was into model rocketry was when I was younger too....built the Estes models with the small engines B and C size IIRC.  I remember one model I bought took pictures on 110 speed film.  It was pretty cool.  Still see the models in hobby stores around here.

I remember those. Now they have digital cameras and high def video.

#18 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Administrators
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 11474 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted April 23 2012 - 10:55 PM

I was big into space and aviation when yonger. I built the Satan 5 kit and lauch it two or three times then HUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM. We where setting it off and one engine blew up sending the rocket out of control set of the second stage at a 75° angel it hit a house about a half mile from where we where my dad notified the police of the malfunction and that save us a ton of greef the people where not mad when they find out it was and accident and some one was taking responsibility for it.  No one was hurt.

I just look for the model online. i rember it being big and with three stages.

#19 Dale Sr.

Dale Sr.

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 565 posts
  • LocationWantagh

Posted April 24 2012 - 06:00 AM

Dusted off a few of my rockets and headed to the wantagh middle school with my son and his friend. The look on their faces were priceless as they chased after the parachuting rockets. Did a good job of compensating for drift and had a few land right back near the lauch pad. Nice to see the kids away from the X-box.

Just won a vintage COX X-15 on ebay to replace the one I lost....15 years ago.

#20 Lovemyglock

Lovemyglock

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5881 posts

Posted April 24 2012 - 06:29 AM

This link has a lot of model train/racecar info but some of them might sell rocket kits too.

http://www.bradcoweb...hobbystores.htm

Model planes and rockets were a common sight at Wantagh Park at one time.  It may still be allowed but from the posts I just read, it probably isn't.   :-/  Worth checking out anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users