FFL Charging tax on transfers - Page 2 - FFLs Listings & Reviews - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

FFL Charging tax on transfers

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11551 posts

Posted May 17 2012 - 04:47 PM

Then he owes a lot of people refunds!

No.. NY State owes the refunds... His accountant told him to collect sales tax, and so he did.

• Ricekila likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 22005 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted May 17 2012 - 04:53 PM

No.. NY State owes the refunds... His accountant told him to collect sales tax, and so he did.

Correct, under the assumption the he actually forwarded everything he was supposed to....

#23 tonythelip

tonythelip

Vote 2A

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 1878 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted May 17 2012 - 05:27 PM

Im so confused! Lets say a ffl charges $45.00 for a tarnsfer now they have to ring $45.00 in the register and in sales how is that $45.00 not subject to NYS sales tax. Please explain.

#24 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24564 posts

Posted May 17 2012 - 06:18 PM

Correct, under the assumption the he actually forwarded everything he was supposed to....

Really...
  • Ricekila likes this

#25 wreckhog

wreckhog

Banned

• Banned
  • 8963 posts
  • LocationMcDonalds

Posted May 17 2012 - 06:32 PM

Im so confused! Lets say a ffl charges $45.00 for a tarnsfer now they have to ring $45.00 in the register and in sales how is that $45.00 not subject to NYS sales tax. Please explain.

Read the end of the article. NY does not list it as a service for which sales taxes are to be paid (or collected). Now given that other friendly FFLs have collected these taxes, sent them to NYS and deducted them from revenue on which fed taxes were paid, this should suck unless you are an accountant.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#26 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2387 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted December 14 2018 - 07:41 PM

Brian used to charge full tax on the gun.

Then anyone who transfered a gun through Brian was a fool. Sorry, but thats the way I see it.

#27 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25249 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted December 14 2018 - 09:19 PM

Looking at the people who posted on this thread was like walking down memory lane.

• grifhunter likes this

#28 Lamont

Lamont

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: ,
  • 1429 posts

Posted December 15 2018 - 11:23 PM

This is why background checks should be free of charge.

Question to any FFLs (if any): Does the state and or feds charge you a fee/surcharge to perform checks? If yes, what is the reason/rationale?

#29 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 10998 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 16 2018 - 08:12 AM

My LGS never charged me tax on any FFL transfer. He is one of the few I know that doesn't charge over $10 on a Safe Act private sale of a long gun or handguns.

#30 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2721 posts

Posted December 16 2018 - 11:11 AM

Question to any FFLs (if any): Does the state and or feds charge you a fee/surcharge to perform checks? If yes, what is the reason/rationale?

Some states do charge a fee.  Neither NY or the Feds do.  BUT, we are required to pay a wage to the employee who does the check.  There are employment taxes, a variety of workers comp, disability, paid family leave, liability and other insurance we need to pay plus depending on the size of the business maybe medical insurance as well.  Plus the cost of the computer, paperwork and permanent storage costs plus electric, rent heat, etc.  Also keep in mind that for pistols in NY, we have a whole additional set of paperwork that needs to be done.  The process for a face to face pistol transfer can take between a half hour an hour to process.  While it would be nice to offer our services for free, it's simply not feasible.

• Parashooter and Ricekila like this

#31 Fully loaded

Fully loaded

Respected Gunowner

• 132 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted December 16 2018 - 01:05 PM

Some states do charge a fee.  Neither NY or the Feds do.  BUT, we are required to pay a wage to the employee who does the check.  There are employment taxes, a variety of workers comp, disability, paid family leave, liability and other insurance we need to pay plus depending on the size of the business maybe medical insurance as well.  Plus the cost of the computer, paperwork and permanent storage costs plus electric, rent heat, etc.  Also keep in mind that for pistols in NY, we have a whole additional set of paperwork that needs to be done.  The process for a face to face pistol transfer can take between a half hour an hour to process.  While it would be nice to offer our services for free, it's simply not feasible.

how much are your transfers?
  • TJ Ironhorse and boosti like this

#32 TJ Ironhorse

TJ Ironhorse

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2387 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted December 16 2018 - 04:32 PM

My LGS never charged me tax on any FFL transfer. He is one of the few I know that doesn't charge over $10 on a Safe Act private sale of a long gun or handguns.

Please share who the FFL is. Im certain many of us would give our business to them, simply because they do the right thing with transfers. Customers are earned. Something many LGS dont seem to understand.
  • boosti likes this

#33 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6152 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted December 17 2018 - 09:23 AM

Neither the state or the feds charge any direct or indirect fees. However, the FFL must pay for the phone time, the use of equipment and the time of the employee, to perform the check, which always costs more than the $10 allowed by statute. The only indirect charges, made by the states and the feds, are the costs of the dealer's licenses and the taxes they must pay, on the employee's salaries, while they perform those NICS checks.

Gary

#34 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 10998 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted December 17 2018 - 12:41 PM

Please share who the FFL is. Im certain many of us would give our business to them, simply because they do the right thing with transfers. Customers are earned. Something many LGS dont seem to understand.

PM sent

#35 Fully loaded

Fully loaded

Respected Gunowner

• 132 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted December 19 2018 - 07:52 PM

Hey bud can u please send me his info also. I appreciate it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users