Plainview Gun Club - Nassau County [Ranges] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Plainview Gun Club

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 threewishes

threewishes

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 124 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 01:24 PM

Plainview Gun Club - Nassau Co. Rifle & Pistol Range, Mitchell Field Athletic Complex, Hempstead, NY 11550.
Phone:
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (75 ft), Indoor Rifle (75 ft)
Range Access: Public

Anyone visit this range?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 dv0042

dv0042

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • 2143 posts

Posted March 24 2009 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, I'm there about once a week.  Nice indoor range, good ventilation (tends to be a bit cold...wear long sleeves).  30 separate shooting points.  25yd max.  Rifle, pistol, shotgun (slugs only).  $7.00/hr for Nassau residents.  You'll need a nassau county leisure pass...costs $25 and is good for 3 years.  You can get the leisure pass at the range.

#3 AJR091458

AJR091458

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Locationsuffolk

Posted October 15 2017 - 05:27 PM

Hello from a newbie.

What is the cost for non-residents?

This is not the Nassau Rifle & Pistol Range is it?

#4 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 15 2017 - 05:31 PM

Hello from a newbie.

You can join a club that meets there. You will save money as you have 2 hours with a club that meets weekly or bi monthly.

#5 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4922 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted October 15 2017 - 07:14 PM

Yes, its the Nassau County Rifle Range in Uniondale, and no need to join a club to use it.

https://www.nassauco...le-Pistol-Range

Maybe if you belong to a club you don't have to pay the steep non-resident rates ??

#6 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted October 15 2017 - 07:25 PM

Hello from a newbie.

$22 for non-resident. 

I used to shoot there until I made the switch to DSI.

If DSI is an option for you, I would highly recommend it. There is no comparing the two. One is brand new and the other is definitely not. Even though DSI has only 6 points, compared to 30 at Nassau, I have never had to wait to get a point at DSI. I can't say the same for Nassau on the weekend mornings when I usually shoot.

The other factor for me was my 14 year old daughter. At Nassau I have to pay $32 for her to shoot. At DSI, kids that you are supervising shoot for free. So there is no charge above and beyond my membership fee.

As far as the membership fee is concerned. $295 a year may seem like a lot but if you shoot regularly, as I do, it's less than what I would have paid at Nassau.

#7 Camaro45th

Camaro45th

Gun Guru

• 1747 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted October 15 2017 - 07:46 PM

$22 for non-resident.

I used to shoot there until I made the switch to DSI.

If DSI is an option for you, I would highly recommend it. There is no comparing the two. One is brand new and the other is definitely not. Even though DSI has only 6 points, compared to 30 at Nassau, I have never had to wait to get a point at DSI. I can't say the same for Nassau on the weekend mornings when I usually shoot.

The other factor for me was my 14 year old daughter. At Nassau I have to pay $32 for her to shoot. At DSI, kids that you are supervising shoot for free. So there is no charge above and beyond my membership fee.

As far as the membership fee is concerned. $295 a year may seem like a lot but if you shoot regularly, as I do, it's less than what I would have paid at Nassau.

You forgot to mention that it’s less than 12 yards at DSI. For shooting Rifles, not really that far.
  • boosti and rlitman like this

#8 Ricekila

Ricekila

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Established Member
  • 1906 posts
  • LocationSwindlehurst

Posted October 15 2017 - 07:50 PM

Squint -- it looks farther --

• Yupitsnuge and ProGodProGunProLife like this

#9 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted October 16 2017 - 05:31 AM

You forgot to mention that it’s less than 12 yards at DSI. For shooting Rifles, not really that far.

Good point. Other than my daughter's 10/22, we only shoot handguns there. The same is true for most other shooters I've seen at DSI.

#10 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4922 posts

Posted October 16 2017 - 06:53 AM

12 yards just makes for an international pellet rifle range.   I admit that I am somewhat jaded by Nassau.   Military discount and resident until I hit 62 a few years back and before I retired I only shot on my Fridays off and never on a weekend.   I only go a few times a year and have never paid more than $3.50 an hour.  I think the OP has enough info to make a decision, dependent on resident, age, veteran or volly status..

#11 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 2174 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted October 16 2017 - 04:56 PM

12 yards just makes for an international pellet rifle range.   I admit that I am somewhat jaded by Nassau.   Military discount and resident until I hit 62 a few years back and before I retired I only shot on my Fridays off and never on a weekend.   I only go a few times a year and have never paid more than $3.50 an hour.  I think the OP has enough info to make a decision, dependent on resident, age, veteran or volly status..

To add some missing details.  If you're both a Nassau County resident and a senior citizen, you are eligible for a senior leisure pass that does not have any renewal fee.  You still need to replace it every 3 years, but you only pay once.  That, combined with their discounted senior rate is why you see lots of old guys there.

Also, my understanding is that it is actually a little over 25 yards.  I really need to bring my laser "tape measure" the next time I'm there, but I can say that with my scoped ranged in at 25 yards, I get weird parallax issues that disappear with them in at 30 yards, and Leupold has given me a full test report that my collimation is dead on.

#12 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4922 posts

Posted October 16 2017 - 05:45 PM

I recall somewhere that one room is 28 yards, can't recall which one or what the others are.   I only move the targets out 10 to 15 yards unless I am bringing a Henry .22 or M1 carbine anyway.  But only 12 yards ?   Not for me.

#13 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 16 2017 - 06:24 PM

12 yards is too close for avid shooters
  • grifhunter likes this

#14 LarryD23

LarryD23

Gun Guru

• 985 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted October 16 2017 - 06:41 PM

12 yards is too close for avid shooters

Rifle, I agree... handgun, plenty of challenge for me.

I would also note that even though Nassau is somewhere between 25 ad 30 yards, it's so poorly lit you can barely see the last 10 yards.   :taunt

#15 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11242 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 16 2017 - 06:51 PM

Rifle, I agree... handgun, plenty of challenge for me.

I would also note that even though Nassau is somewhere between 25 ad 30 yards, it's so poorly lit you can barely see the last 10 yards.   :taunt

12 yards is too short a distance for me as I train for shots at 25 yards for duty size pistols.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users