STEPS ON PURCHASING A FIREARM - Page 6 - Newbie's Unite! - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

STEPS ON PURCHASING A FIREARM

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 irondog

irondog

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted October 12 2020 - 07:12 PM

My son wants to use my credit card to purchase a gun online to be shipped to local FFL for him to fill out the NICS paperwork and pick it up. Is this possible i.e. for me to pay the out of state seller but then have my son  essentially complete the purchase at the local FFL?

Disclaimer: I do not state the following as fact as I am not an attorney. I do state this as common sense logic.

That will probably not go too well as you will technically be the purchaser if your credit card is being used. I say this as I ran into a similar situation in Florida a few years ago. My father wanted to buy a rifle for me while we were together in the store. I would have filled out the paper work, had the background check done for me but the store said NO to having my father pay for it with his credit card. Even though it was a 100% legit situation for us, it may not be viewed that way by the firearms Gods, thus looks like a potential "straw purchase". And quite frankly, I can't blame them for saying no. If it passed the smell test to the dealer because we were both there together but later was picked up after the fact as a potentially dodgy transaction/red flag, they would have a lot of explaining to do and not worth putting their FFL at risk. The easy solution was I paid for it on my credit card and pop gave me a check. Problem solved, case closed.

If you want to double check, go into a local shop with your son and ask them if they would sell him a firearm and let you pay for it on your credit card. See what they say. In such a highly regulated transaction and process, the names should match on all respective documents. Easy solution, let your son put it on his credit card. If he doesn't have a credit card to use, then he probably shouldn't be buying a firearm.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#102 packetloss

packetloss

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted October 13 2020 - 09:48 AM

Just to put this out there, you could just buy a TD Bank gift visa card and put the appropriate money on it and have him use that.  They are free if you have a TD Bank account.

• TJ Ironhorse likes this

#103 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7904 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted October 13 2020 - 09:03 PM

A father can buy a gun to gift to his son and vice versa. 

Credit card  in another's name may create a problem on the sellers web site, but there's no legal reason that a borrowed card can't be used.   The purchase docs at the FFL will correctly state that the son is buying it for himself. 

Edited by grifhunter, October 13 2020 - 09:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users