A Few Words Concerning The 1911 - Page 3 - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

A Few Words Concerning The 1911

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 pumper253

pumper253

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationlindenhurst

Posted December 28 2013 - 04:47 PM

Just shot my Regency 1911 45ACP for the first time. Before we hear from the peanut gallery let me say that it's an absolutely fantastic firearm and is dead on target.
I will be getting more 1911's

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 DLM

DLM

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3195 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted December 28 2013 - 04:57 PM

In the car yesterday I listened to the Gunfighters Poscast about the 1911 that someone posted here. There was a great line in it: The 1911 is like a prom queen outside the fight and a biker chick when the fight breaks out.

I laughed and laughed.

#43 SHOmestyle

SHOmestyle

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 503 posts

Posted December 28 2013 - 05:22 PM

if anyone wants a 1911 I'm going to sell my SW1911 :)

I figured this was the perfect thread to throw a plug out there haha

#44 convgto69

convgto69

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 718 posts
  • LocationManorville, NY

Posted December 28 2013 - 06:46 PM

A picture says it all.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1911.jpg   270.69KB   22 downloads

• Nordon, Edward_Blake, malakaguy and 2 others like this

#45 pgm888

pgm888

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2565 posts
  • LocationSmithtown

Posted December 28 2013 - 06:59 PM

SW 4506. PERIOD. END OF STORY.

#46 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 4013 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted July 13 2014 - 05:46 AM

I just got my first 1911 and went for the Colt Gold Cup National Match. I started high end because I didn't want buyer's remorse for getting something I wasn't totally thrilled with. I haven't taken it to the range yet because I want to become more familiar with it but am anxious to break it in. By the way, the guys at South Shore Sportsman in Merrick were very fair with the price and actually spent the time to field strip it for me.

Attached Files

• DOUBLEZERO, malakaguy, Ramone and 3 others like this

#47 DOUBLEZERO

DOUBLEZERO

Sharp Shooter!

• 434 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted July 13 2014 - 06:29 AM

Congrats on the new acquisition, surely there's no buyers remorse on that one...Blued or Stainless?

#48 2hotrotts

2hotrotts

Resident Ball Buster -BANNED

• Banned
  • 4993 posts
  • LocationMassapequa Park

Posted July 13 2014 - 07:29 AM

Sounds good but i still love my glock 17.

How dare you...I hope you get AIDS

#49 2hotrotts

2hotrotts

Resident Ball Buster -BANNED

• Banned
  • 4993 posts
  • LocationMassapequa Park

Posted July 13 2014 - 07:30 AM

if anyone wants a 1911 I'm going to sell my SW1911 :)

I figured this was the perfect thread to throw a plug out there haha

Bahhh...I thought it was a real 1911 ;)

#50 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted July 13 2014 - 07:36 AM

Since I haven't seen it here, I'll add the old standard, part of which concerns the 1911:

USMC Rules For Gunfighting

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.
2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.
5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movements are preferred.)
6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.
7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.
9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.
10. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME.
11. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
12. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
13. Have a plan.
14. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.
15. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
16. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
17. Don't drop your guard.
18. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.
19. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).
20. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.
21. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot up you will get.
22. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
23. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
24. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a "4."

Navy Rules for Gunfighting

1. Go to Sea
2. Send the Marines
3. Drink coffee

PS- though I haven't seen the list attributed to him, most of the first 24 rules are quotes from Col. Jeff Cooper

+1/2
The Navy thing hurt. :)
  • Ramone likes this

#51 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• 4013 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted July 14 2014 - 06:44 AM

I went for the blued. It comes with the rosewood grips and I'm a sucker for old fashioned wood grips. The gold logo is a nice touch too. :yes

#52 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• 4013 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted November 26 2014 - 07:42 AM

I just wanted to post an update on something that was probably very minor but bothered me. Have any of you experienced some play in the grips of your 1911? Believe me it wasn't a case of where the grips moved a heck of a lot but they did have a little play in them. I did some reading on the subject online and found that it wasn't that uncommon and the fix recommended was putting a size 60 O Ring under each of the grips' screws. I tried it and it worked like a charm although I haven't taken it to the range yet. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Thanks for your input and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

#53 rg1911

rg1911

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1008 posts
  • Locationmassapequa

Posted November 26 2014 - 07:48 AM

There's gotta be a list like this for glock somewhere... There's no way glock lovers would just let this out there without retaliation loll
  • FULL METAL JACKET likes this

#54 Edward_Blake

Edward_Blake

The Artist formally known as AR_Guy

• Club LIF Member
  • 6913 posts

Posted November 26 2014 - 09:09 AM

They sometimes come loose. Are the bushing tight? If using G10 or other hard grips, the O rings are a big help. Don't over tighten the grips.

#55 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted November 26 2014 - 09:20 AM

I just wanted to post an update on something that was probably very minor but bothered me. Have any of you experienced some play in the grips of your 1911? Believe me it wasn't a case of where the grips moved a heck of a lot but they did have a little play in them. I did some reading on the subject online and found that it wasn't that uncommon and the fix recommended was putting a size 60 O Ring under each of the grips' screws. I tried it and it worked like a charm although I haven't taken it to the range yet. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Thanks for your input and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

This would happen if the grips were bored a little deep and the screw were bottoming out in the bushing before making contact with the beveled surface of the countersink. Putting an O-ring in there will do two things- tighten the grip and provide friction to keep the screw from backing off. The alternative is to carefully file the screw down and chase the threads, but if you are not experienced with this sort of thing, unless you plan on cleaning the gun with an ultrasonic cleaner (read: removing wood grips regularly) I would stick with the O-rings.

#56 PandM

PandM

moved to greener pastures

• Club LIF Member
  • 10857 posts

Posted November 26 2014 - 09:22 AM

Navy Rules for Gunfighting

1. Go to Sea
2. Send the Marines
3. Drink coffee

PS- though I haven't seen the list attributed to him, most of the first 24 rules are quotes from Col. Jeff Cooper

Hmm.
Not sure if I should giggle uncomfortably or remember the Marines who we carried and throw up in my mouth a little remembering witnessing them engage like it was just another day in the park.
  • Ramone likes this

#57 PandM

PandM

moved to greener pastures

• Club LIF Member
  • 10857 posts

Posted November 26 2014 - 09:25 AM

Attached Files

• SemiAutoFetish likes this

#58 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21170 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted November 26 2014 - 09:42 AM

Here's another reason for the 1911:

"No one ever stopped 3 tanks with a glock."

(A Marine Captain in Lebanon, 1980s)
  • Ramone, SemiAutoFetish and signmaker like this

#59 Strider

Strider

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1217 posts

Posted November 26 2014 - 10:00 AM

Here's another reason for the 1911:

"No one ever stopped 3 tanks with a glock."

(A Marine Captain in Lebanon, 1980s)

Details?

#60 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• 4013 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted November 26 2014 - 10:34 AM

They sometimes come loose. Are the bushing tight? If using G10 or other hard grips, the O rings are a big help. Don't over tighten the grips.

I think the countersink on the grips is ever so slightly larger than the bushings thereby allowing the small amount of play prior to using the O rings. I did tighten up the grips careful to not over tighten and they feel very secure now. I'll give a range report after the holiday weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users