Long Island Firearms -Bodyguard 380 PRODUCT REVIEW - Semi-Auto [Handguns] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Long Island Firearms -Bodyguard 380 PRODUCT REVIEW

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• 36800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted November 15 2010 - 10:00 PM

Defination:
Noun. bod-y-guard
Person or group of persons, usually armed, responsible for the safety of one or more other persons.

Take those words and spice it up with the power of 380 caliber and a two function laser sighting system protecting you in petite frame.
With its solid construction, the stopping power of a beast; I can see how Smith and Wesson branded this beauty with the words "Bodyguard".

The sights (front and rear) are a much needed improvement from the traditional small frame firearms. The integrated laser beam is emitted about one inch right below its bullet path with no lateral deviation.

Activating the laser (which is powered by two Lithium 357 batteries) consist of a pair of small, gray buttons on the dustcover just ahead of and above the trigger guard. These buttons are designed to be activated with your trigger finger or thumb of the support hand. (Two buttons are provided one on each side, however you only need to push one to activate) Once either button is depressed, the laser consists either of 'steady on' or 'blinking mode'.

The Bodyguard's frame is not only trim, but constructed of polymer with a finger groove and a grip-enhancing molded within. The six-round magazine fits flush with the back-strap but has an extended finger rest on the front.

According to S&W, the slide is machined from a solid block of stainless steel and it's black-Melonite-coated.

With a 2.75-inch, stainless-steel barrel finished in black Melonite as the slide. The barrel hood has a cutout that serves as a loaded-chamber indicator.

Comparing this to the LCP is definitely refreshing, being that the sights are both reliable and usable.  A step up from the  LCP just by both its look and feel.

Coupled with the proper holster; this is surely going to be a winner.

NOTES:
There has been some challenges with this little beauty within owners with EAAXXXX serial numbers.  The one we obtained is in the EABXXXX range. Owners with EAA serial numbers seem to have been reporting laser failures as well as button operational challenges.

We will be taking her out to the range shortly to do a complete on-site review of this new firearm as well as a comprehensive take-down and cleaning procedure. Stay tuned!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

©2010 Long Island Firearms™

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 MARTINBILT

MARTINBILT

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted April 25 2011 - 01:42 PM

Hello, I have a Bg380 and have had it for about two weeks and as for the gun I give it an A ,But have had some problems with the gun not firing Russia made Tulammo .380 that Walmart sells .It would not fire on some rounds with first strike and would fire with  seconed pull of the trigger.The first box of ammo that Campsite sold me it shot fine.So go with a diffrent ammo choice. JMO. I made a poormans pocket holster cardboard and ductape so no printing at all .If any one gets one check screw that holds  the leaser down under the slide as mine came untight and jamed the slide from beind able to be field striped Martin. laser was way off .Easy to center.

#3 MARTINBILT

MARTINBILT

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted May 02 2011 - 06:15 PM

Up date on the Bodyguard 380 After shooting 150 rounds on Sat the screw that holds down the laser backed out and the slide sheared the screw off and mangled the plastic cover.Canp-Site has it so we will see as to S&W service is. It will not shoot the Russia made Tulammo .380 Not at all a second pull on one  or two in most clips. M

#4 Zyka

Zyka

Banned

• Banned
  • 594 posts

Posted May 02 2011 - 06:34 PM

For concealed carry a Kahr PM9 9mm is an excellent choice.I am not saying the S&W Body Guard .380 is a bad gun.However,the BG is a new gun and many rely on the laser for shot placement.The lasers and triggers seem to be the biggest problem with these guns.Since a more potent caliber and more reliable weapon is available in a pocket size platform I would not use anything under a 9mm for selfdefense but that is my opinion.If you do carry a .380 practice making multiple  rapid shots to the COM and head with the best most reliable ammunition.

#5 hoodfu

hoodfu

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 680 posts

Posted May 02 2011 - 06:35 PM

I've found the the bodyguard 380 doesn't reliably fire winchester white box. Hits the primer, but it doesn't go off until I try it a 2nd time on the same round. Out of 10, 2-3 will fail to fire. That said, the Remington golden sabers all fired, and out of the 3 to 400 CCI Blazer aluminum FMJ rounds, 100% fired. So I guess the winchesters use harder primers. It's a great little gun, just make sure you thoroughly try your defensive ammo with it to make sure it'll fire every time with this.

#6 MARTINBILT

MARTINBILT

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted May 13 2011 - 07:05 AM

Coming up to two weeks no gun back yet .It was a screw that backed out.Not happy yet.M

#7 henry

henry

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others:
  • 591 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 13 2011 - 07:14 AM

Coming up to two weeks no gun back yet .It was a screw that backed out.Not happy yet.M

I think you've got a long wait ahead of you.  I sent a revolver back to S&W and it took (4) weeks to get the estimate to repair, another (4) days for them to mail the written estimate to me, then another (4) days for them to actually begin the work.

#8 joker18

joker18

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in NC

Posted July 14 2012 - 11:25 AM

It is prudent even with the later Ser.No. Bodyguards to blue Loctite the laser screw in to prevent it from walking back out. What I like about the Bodyguard is the slide locks back after last shot, LCP doesn't. Bodyguard has second strike capability, LCP doesn't. Bodyguard has good sights and I was told by a rep from S&W that some of the M&P sights will work on the Bodyguard. BTW I'm not down on Ruger because Ruger makes good firearms. Just comparing the Bodyguard to the LCP is all. I love my Bodyguard and so far it shoots everything.

#9 100MPG

100MPG

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Donated Member

• 4780 posts
  • LocationLong Giland

Posted November 27 2012 - 02:41 PM

Stopped at Bensons today and they are on back order...I would have had to put my name on a list and leave a deposit with no approximate date of arrival.
But it is a nice pistol, felt good and the laser worked well in the bright lights in the store.
Called another place and they have them in stock. (will divulge the name after I get mine :D)
  • Lloyd likes this

#10 Ralfyboy

Ralfyboy

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 210 posts

Posted January 25 2013 - 03:44 PM

Whats the going price for the Bodyguard 380?

#11 Denny

Denny

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 756 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County, NY

Posted January 28 2013 - 06:41 PM

Suffolk Outdoorsman in Smithtown had one Thursday.

#12 100MPG

100MPG

Banned

• Banned

• 4780 posts
  • LocationLong Giland

Posted January 28 2013 - 06:47 PM

Whats the going price for the Bodyguard 380?

I think I paid 389...? CRS kicking in and I am waaay too lazy to go find the receipt. Now that is has a few rounds through it, it is a much nicer shooter. It was a little rough at first, but like anything you have to find the sweet spot.

#13 MikeM

MikeM

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 1647 posts
  • LocationEast Northport

Posted August 05 2014 - 09:14 AM

I fired mine for the first time in months [been playing with my other guns] and it seems like the trigger has to go all the way back to fire. I don't recall that it was this way in the past. Anyone else have some experience with the 380 trigger pull or should I be sending it out for repair?

#14 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 25763 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted August 05 2014 - 09:34 AM

I believe it was designed to have a long trigger pull.

#15 Edward_Blake

Edward_Blake

The Artist formally known as AR_Guy

• Club LIF Member
  • 6913 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 09:39 AM

It's a very long pull that breaks at the far back.

#16 MikeM

MikeM

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 1647 posts
  • LocationEast Northport

Posted August 05 2014 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for saving me a trip to campsite to get it checked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users