Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Free Venison

20K views 64 replies 26 participants last post by  Mafia Al 
#1 ·
The Town of Southhold through its Department of Public Works (DPW) has set up a refrigerated truck that accepts field dressed deer carcasses from hunters. The carcasses are then sent to a butcher in Nassau and then distributed to soup kitchens etc. (Deer meat obtained by hunting can not be sold in NY). As of Monday, the truck had collected 68 deer carcasses this season.

If you want a free carcass, you can call Jeff Standish, DPW, Southold Town at 631 765 1283 and leave your phone number with him. When a hunter is dropping off a fresh field dressed carcass, they will call you to pick it up. Of course you have to butcher it yourself. But you can fill your freezer with lots of meat for free.

#6 ·
This is a great idea. Lord knows I'm broke.

#9 ·
I just called. There is a long list.

So, being that I have a good job, and I typcially don't accept hand outs. I'm willing to pay for the butching. and all I want is 1/2 the meat. whoever picks up the deer gets the other 1/2, and I'm covering the processing.

I want the left 1/2 :)

#11 ·
I am scheduled for Wednesday. I could definitly use it too.

#14 ·
I got 1 today. It's something different for sure.
but it's not cheap.
tank of gas, $50.
butcher $80

~40 lbs of meat per deer.
4 hours time.

Your still paying a few bucks per pound of meat.
I'm donating most of mine. I'll keep the back straps, etc.

But something different. and if I don't get anything this weekend, I still have venison.

#16 ·
the blur said:
I got 1 today. It's something different for sure.
but it's not cheap.
tank of gas, $50.
butcher $80

~40 lbs of meat per deer.
4 hours time.

Your still paying a few bucks per pound of meat.
I'm donating most of mine. I'll keep the back straps, etc.

But something different. and if I don't get anything this weekend, I still have venison.
Driving through wine country on a beautiful sunny morning to retrieve the deer that someone else shot, instead of freezing your a$$ off in a treestand....PRICELESS

#17 ·
I went this morning, They gave me two actually. I am finishing up processing mine.
I am going to share with my brother in law and my buddy kdogg.
I will still continue to hunt, however will donate mine if I do harvest one (fair is fair).

I took advantage of it because times are tight here. +40 pounds of venison can go a long way on a budgeted household.
I will load some pics when all is done. As much as I would like to have dropped it off and had it butchered, it costs money and part of the experience is butchering (of not harvesting) the game.

If there is more that one way to skin a cat, how many ways are there to skin a deer?

#18 ·
Two the right way and the wrong way

#19 ·
I was able to yeild a pretty signifcant amount of meat last night
Took a while to butcher myself however I am happy because I did my best to have minimal scrap.

Everything is plastic wraped and butcher papered.
I did place some stuff in ziplocs because i'll be using it first.
The backstraps I kept in the fridge because I pland on cooking them today.

some pics in a bit

one

hyde removed (I didn't know you could use a shotgun out of season for a nuisance permit? I guess since it is provate property when they took them)

most of it broken down. had to get in the nooks for mince and grinder meat. That'll make some good sausages in the next few days

Some of the stuff packaged up. I put some stuff in just saran wrap, some in ziplocs.

broke down the rumps and shoulders too. There is a look of good steak medalions and roasts out of that

#20 ·
Mine too was shot with a slug.
From what I understand, the nuisance permits CAN'T be used during regular season; as they don't want you competing with a regular hunter.
and you can night hunt till 11pm with a spotlight.
And the nuisance permits are doe only.

It's a farmer's permit, where the deer are eating his income.
Totally different type of permit and not much information is available on it. The rules are very different.

#21 ·
if you are getting them for the town then the town has some one shooting them for them so yes they can use a shot gun and they can hunt 24-7 till the number that the town put on them is filled
papabear

#22 ·
Venison Stew Today
2 lbs of venison
2 lbs of pototaes
5 cups of flash frozen fresh mixed veggies
2 cups of (low sodium) beef stock
Seasoning (to taste, I have my own blend of garlic, onion, paprika, fresh ground pepper, kosher salt etc)

sear Venison in bottom of Dutch Oven with 2 tsp of butter and olive oil
add veggies and pototoes
mix in stock and let it simmer for 4 to 6 hours

#26 ·
the blur said:
I've been eating venison steaks. taste like lamb. very good.

Havn't gotten to the back straps yet, or the filets, but soon.

We took some stew meat, and attempted to make a deer stew, but the meat was very tough to eat.
How long did you stew it for. I think it has to be stewed for 4 to 6 hours (See post above).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.