Attention new members - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Attention new members

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Johnc

Johnc

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • Others: , ,
  • 3908 posts

Posted March 27 2009 - 06:10 AM

I have been looking at the members list and I see that many of you are just lurking.   Jump in,  the water is fine!

This is a friendly place.  Share your views, opinions and knowledge.  If you don't see a thread that interests you, start one! Ask questions, tell us about your firearms, firearms related experiences, or tell a firearm related story. Post and have fun!

This is longislandfirearms.com  we have no strangers here,  just friends that have not met.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 ecr

ecr

Gun Guru

• Distinguished Member
  • Others: Club LIF Member, Committee Member, Junior Member

• 4946 posts
  • LocationNorth Great River, New York

Posted March 31 2009 - 03:59 AM

Sounds good to me John. I'm not sure how much time I can devote reference to input here on this new forum, however, it is something long overdue for our area. I have scoped around a little bit and, thus far, there seems to be some great folks here. I do believe this forum will do quite well.

Eric

#3 Armedoc

Armedoc

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 734 posts

Posted April 02 2009 - 04:17 PM

The reason I am lurking is that I really don't have much to add. I am bringing myself up to speed with what will be required to own and safeguard a weapon properly at home. I aslo plan on being a responsible handgun owner.
I am a total newbie. In fact I haven't even gone for the fingerprinting part of my permit yet because the appointments are few and far between.
At the present time I am more of a taker than a giver because all I've ever shot was a 22 and a 12 gauge in boyscout camp. That was 30 years ago.
I have always wanted to target shoot with a pistol but never got around to it. The way the gun laws are in Nassau, I may get my wish in October if I am lucky.

So I welcome the invitation and the warm greetings. If you have a subforum on surgery, fly fishing or lacrosse I will be an avid contributor. Until then I am soaking up info.

#4 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Topic Starter
  • 36800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted April 02 2009 - 04:19 PM

Armedoc,
So, when you do get your permit what firearm are you interested in?

#5 Johnc

Johnc

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3908 posts

Posted April 02 2009 - 05:50 PM

The reason I am lurking is that I really don't have much to add. I am bringing myself up to speed with what will be required to own and safeguard a weapon properly at home. I aslo plan on being a responsible handgun owner.
I am a total newbie. In fact I haven't even gone for the fingerprinting part of my permit yet because the appointments are few and far between.
At the present time I am more of a taker than a giver because all I've ever shot was a 22 and a 12 gauge in boyscout camp. That was 30 years ago.
I have always wanted to target shoot with a pistol but never got around to it. The way the gun laws are in Nassau, I may get my wish in October if I am lucky.

So I welcome the invitation and the warm greetings. If you have a subforum on surgery, fly fishing or lacrosse I will be an avid contributor. Until then I am soaking up info.

ARMEDOC, sorry, no sub forums!  

Soak up all the information that you like.  Ask questions so that you can soak up what best suits you.

At any rate, thanks for registering and a bigger thanks for posting and sharing!!!

Johnc

#6 ecr

ecr

Gun Guru

• Distinguished Member

• 4946 posts

Posted April 02 2009 - 06:59 PM

ARMEDOC. . . Welcome aboard. Have a look around and do some reading. There is a wealth of information amongst this group and they will help you with any questions you may throw at them!

Eric

#7 Armedoc

Armedoc

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 734 posts

Posted April 03 2009 - 11:32 AM

I have a good friend who is retired law enforcement. He showed me his collection which was made up mainly of revolvers but he had a S&W M&P 9mm which was a great fit but had way too much play in the slide and bushings looked a little loose. It didn't strike me as an accurate/precise weapon.

I am leaning towards a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. I have no intention to carry/conceal. It would be strictly a range gun.

I am open to suggestions/recommendations. I figure I'll be making my purchase in Nov/Dec if all goes as planned.

#8 Johnc

Johnc

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3908 posts

Posted April 03 2009 - 01:07 PM

The Colt is a niece piece.   If this is a first gun,  I might suggest something a bit cheaper to buy and shoot.  Consider a target .22.

You can ponder this link for some ideas.

www.genitron.com

Take nothing away from the Colt.  I just am not sure that it is the best choice for a first handgun.

#9 ecr

ecr

Gun Guru

• Distinguished Member

• 4946 posts

Posted April 03 2009 - 04:48 PM

My first handgun was a Colt Python 4" .357 mag. I shot quite a few .38s out of that thing and had lots of fun plinking.
Good thing I kept it.

#10 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7925 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted April 06 2009 - 03:47 PM

Hey doc! Welcome.  My first pistol was a .22 High Standard.  THEN I got a GoldCup and away I went, a lifetime of shooting bliss.
Nassau Co. is intimidating, with the paperwork and references and all, but its worth it and I was more determined than ever not to let the bastards get in my way.

#11 Armedoc

Armedoc

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 734 posts

Posted April 07 2009 - 02:55 PM

That is good to hear. I get fingerprinted and interviewed in a week. My references are all first rate. Not discouraged in the least about the paperwork.
I am just discouraged about the recent strings of senseless shootings that are claiming lives and threatening our right to bear arms.
Heck I've waited this long to shoot..... I can wait another 6 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users