Don't F* With the U.S. Navy... - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Don't F* With the U.S. Navy...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jarhead0331

Jarhead0331

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 176 posts

Posted April 12 2009 - 06:27 PM

MOMBASA, Kenya – U.S. Navy snipers opened fire and killed three pirates holding an American captain at gunpoint in a lifeboat, delivering the skipper unharmed and ending a five-day high-seas hostage drama on Easter Sunday.

The pirates were pointing AK-47s at Capt. Richard Phillips and he was in "imminent danger" of being killed when the commander of the nearby USS Bainbridge made the split-second decision to order his men to shoot, Vice Adm. Bill Gortney said.

Phillips' crew, who said they had escaped the pirates after he offered himself as a hostage, erupted in cheers aboard their ship in Mombasa, Kenya. Some waved an American flag and fired flares in celebration. A lawn sign in the captain's hometown of Underhill, Vermont that read "Pray for Captain Phillips' release and safe return home" was changed to read, "Capt. Phillips rescued and safe."

The U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet said Phillips, 53, was resting comfortably after a medical exam on the San Diego-based USS Boxer in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Somalia. Gortney said the captain had been "tied up inside the lifeboat" over much of the ordeal.

"I'm just the byline. The real heroes are the Navy, the Seals, those who have brought me home," Phillips said by phone to Maersk Line Limited President and CEO John Reinhart, the company head told reporters. A photo released by the Navy showed Phillips unharmed and shaking hands with the commanding officer of the USS Bainbridge.

http://news.yahoo.co...XNzaGlwY2FwdGFp

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted April 12 2009 - 06:53 PM

Its about time the Seals did something....kicking butt and saving American lives.

#3 Izzydunyet

Izzydunyet

Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 27 posts

Posted April 13 2009 - 06:32 AM

USN here  glad the president  just took care of business..  in stead of just talking about it..... WOO HOO!!!!  

#4 Johnc

Johnc

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • Others: , ,
  • 3908 posts

Posted April 13 2009 - 06:42 AM

I applaud the decision of the commander and the actions of the Seals.   This was a very positive decision long overdue!   I sincerely hope however, that there are not reprocussions to this action.  

#5 xflip14

xflip14

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 130 posts

Posted April 13 2009 - 12:31 PM

I applaud the decision of the commander and the actions of the Seals.   This was a very positive decision long overdue!   I sincerely hope however, that there are not reprocussions to this action.  

i dont see that being a problem given they were pirates and their country is constantly (trying) to arrest them

#6 Johnc

Johnc

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • Others: , ,
  • 3908 posts

Posted April 13 2009 - 03:57 PM

i dont see that being a problem given they were pirates and their country is constantly (trying) to arrest them

I was not referring to their country.  I was referring to future acts of aggression by the pirates, or any hostages that they are currently holding.

#7 ecr

ecr

Gun Guru

• Distinguished Member
  • Others: Club LIF Member, Committee Member, Junior Member

• 4946 posts
  • LocationNorth Great River, New York

Posted April 13 2009 - 07:53 PM

Time to kick some tail and stand up for what's right.

#8 Flattop

Flattop

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted April 15 2009 - 04:53 PM

I was not referring to their country.  I was referring to future acts of aggression by the pirates, or any hostages that they are currently holding.

Johnc, I think you're right, it's what the pirates will do with the hostages they have now, and any they take in the future.
I know a lot of people, not just here on this forum, but everywhere I go, that say just blow the pirates out of the water. I'm all for it, the problem lies in the amount of ocean you need to cover. As far as their country, there is no real Somali government, it's a lawless wasteland.

#9 xflip14

xflip14

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 130 posts

Posted April 16 2009 - 09:08 AM

There should be a shoot to kill policy on all pirates that seem to be taking action on a ship.... but there is a lot of water out there even if they try to "crack down " where do they start
*thats only given there is no hostages on board!*

#10 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationQueens, NYC

Posted April 16 2009 - 11:14 AM

My guess is to station all the million dollar warships off the coast of Somalia, in international waters, within view of the pirates, with all our guns and cannons aimed at them, with a big sign painted on the side of our destroyers

'WANT SOME"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users