How to avoid food and other stuff, made in China - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

How to avoid food and other stuff, made in China

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6384 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted April 29 2021 - 01:02 PM

Folks:

A friend sent this to me, by E-mail and I thought to pass it along, to you.. Very interesting.

Gary

Always read the labels on the foods you buy, no matter what the front of the box or package says. Turn it over, then read the back, carefully!
    With all the food and pet products now coming from China, it is best to make sure you read label at the grocery store and, especially, Walmart, when buying food products.
    Many products no longer show where they were made, only give where the distributor is  located. It is important to read the bar code, to track it's origin.
    This may be useful to know when grocery shopping, if it's a concern to you. This is great  way to  "buy USA & Canada" and not from China!!
    The whole world is concerned about China-made "black-hearted goods." Can you differentiate which one is made in Taiwan or  China ?
    If the first 3 digits of the barcode are 690, 691 or 692, the product is made in China. 471 is made in Taiwan.
    This is our right to know but the government and related departments never educate the public; therefore, we have to rescue ourselves.
    Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products "made in China;" so, they don't show in which country it is made.
    However, you may now refer to the barcode. If the first 3 digits are:
690-692: then, it is made in China,
000-009: made in the USA or Canada,
030-037: made in France,
040-044  made in Germany,
471: made in Taiwan,
049: made in Japan and
050: made in the UK.
    Buy USA & Canadian made, by watching for the "0," at the beginning of the number. We need every boost we can get! Pass this on, to everybody on your E-mail contact list!!
    If the government won't help us, we must help ourselves.

• covertjy likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2748 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted April 29 2021 - 03:16 PM

Or just do not shop at Walmart   LOL

#3 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 26086 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted April 29 2021 - 04:48 PM

Good info. Thanks 

#4 wwolf

wwolf

Sharp Shooter!

• 428 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 29 2021 - 09:35 PM

Good info on the bar code. All of my foods are made in the western hemisphere since I cook my own 3 meals everyday. Except probably, raw garlic is from China. 

#5 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• 4096 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted April 30 2021 - 05:28 AM

You can even buy raw garlic domestically although you will pay a premium for it.  Thanks for the great advice.  So to keep it simple, an easy memory tool for moi is to avoid it if it starts with "69".  "Double 0 good to go."

#6 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 2202 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted April 30 2021 - 11:14 AM

You can even buy raw garlic domestically although you will pay a premium for it.  Thanks for the great advice.  So to keep it simple, an easy memory tool for moi is to avoid it if it starts with "69".  "Double 0 good to go."

Sorry, but this story is utter BS.  The first three digits of a UPC code have NOTHING to do with COO.  They don't even mean ANYTHING.

UPC-A codes (the 12 digit numbers in your common bar codes) are assigned by GS1.  That is a US based corporation that hands out 5 digit company prefix codes (the first five digits in a UPC-A actually do have some meaning) that have absolutely no association with the location of the corporation that owns the prefix (unlike, say a phone area code).  Moreover, most of those prefix codes are held by code subdivision companies like Nationwide Barcode that then sell smaller blocks of code numbers to other companies (while some larger companies own their own code blocks).  Those companies (American or not) then assign codes from these blocks to their products, but again, the UPC-A is not associated with Country of Origin.

As a real-world example, years ago, back when Sears used to sell Craftsman tools, they shifted production from Western Forge (in the US) to a Taiwanese manufacturer.  The replaced entire lineups of tools on the shelves with new off-shored products, but the bar codes never changed, because the product description and price never changed.

#7 Gary_Hungerford

Gary_Hungerford

SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: , , ,
  • 6384 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, all the time

Posted April 30 2021 - 11:49 AM

Sorry, but this story is utter BS.  The first three digits of a UPC code have NOTHING to do with COO.  They don't even mean ANYTHING.

UPC-A codes (the 12 digit numbers in your common bar codes) are assigned by GS1.  That is a US based corporation that hands out 5 digit company prefix codes (the first five digits in a UPC-A actually do have some meaning) that have absolutely no association with the location of the corporation that owns the prefix (unlike, say a phone area code).  Moreover, most of those prefix codes are held by code subdivision companies like Nationwide Barcode that then sell smaller blocks of code numbers to other companies (while some larger companies own their own code blocks).  Those companies (American or not) then assign codes from these blocks to their products, but again, the UPC-A is not associated with Country of Origin.

As a real-world example, years ago, back when Sears used to sell Craftsman tools, they shifted production from Western Forge (in the US) to a Taiwanese manufacturer.  The replaced entire lineups of tools on the shelves with new off-shored products, but the bar codes never changed, because the product description and price never changed.

You are correct. I just checked it out. I should have done that, before posting. Here's the real explanation of bar codes.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/bar-code/.

Gary

#8 covertjy

covertjy

Gun Guru

• 4096 posts
  • LocationThe Free World

Posted April 30 2021 - 12:52 PM

Oh well,  I guess I have to go back to scrutinizing the labels.  Nothing easy in this world.

• rlitman likes this

#9 iGreg

iGreg

Right-wing Sith

• Donated Member
  • 6472 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted April 30 2021 - 02:44 PM

I've been trying to avoid buying stuff from China for years. Unfortunately, the American Deep State and their Big Corporatist allies has been surrendering to China for decades. 

#10 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11421 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 30 2021 - 08:32 PM

You are correct. I just checked it out. I should have done that, before posting. Here's the real explanation of bar codes.
https://www.dictionary.com/e/bar-code/.
Gary

Can’t Believe Every friends email as the Truth.

#11 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 26086 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted May 01 2021 - 08:04 AM

No mater what China still sucks. 

#12 Bystander

Bystander

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationNys

Posted May 01 2021 - 03:17 PM

d7a218af4f0587000fc49daca6cee621.jpg
The story is not true. None of my US made produce starts with 00. My american made cheese, see for yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users